Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Oxymeiser or other multipliers for continuous flow?

• Oxymeiser or other multipliers for continuous flow?

Posted by george-poulsen on April 10, 2024 at 5:59 pm

Not being a professional in these areas, I am seeking input, info and experiences. The “Oxymeiser” (one brand) discussion has popped up several times but always seems to leave me wanting more information to assist as I later-on move from my POC unit into the higher oxygen needs that exceed my current POC Inogen G5 that only goes to setting 6.

My doctor has suggested a pull around Green bottle but that seems to only provide a very short time (around an hour or so?) when set at anything greater than 6 > Lpm like 10-15? So, I happened to see an article on the Oxymeiser multiplier and I understand that it is a unit like a plastic wide mustache that provides in effect a small temporary storage compartment for the constant flow oxygen to build up a small amount of oxygen for the next breath as you exhale. This basically provides a free extra breath instead of just blowing that extra constant flow amount into the atmosphere as you exhale. The multiplying benefit of this device on a bottle of oxygen sounds like really great leverage on the time you can use a bottle of oxygen and becomes attractive to me at that point. However, I have also seen some negative comments on the weight and bulk of the “mustache”.

Meantime, I have seen other comments on another unit that apparently is a “Medallion” in the middle of your canula line that rests on the chest or thereabouts. The Devilbus CHAD Optimizer is one observed. Now that sounds a whole lot better and still provides a temporary storage between each exhaled breath and apparently a multiplying effect of 3-5 times usable time for a bottle of oxygen (maybe even use a smaller lighter bottle?). Now that sounds like a great idea! This may just be the necessary future for many of us that believe we will advance to real oxygen at some point? Experience will be a great help here.

Also someone just raised the possibility of using the Oxymeiser or medallion with a canula line presumably on a POC that is providing constant flow not pulsed? If true, then that could possibly provide a greater LPM effect than I had thought. Anyone have any knowledge of that as a possibility?

These are important variables for us to understand and be familiar with since the IPF issues almost all point toward a “poor prognosis”, and that likely means increasing oxygen needs along with portability for daily living and even some degree of extra activity, and the more the merrier right?

Of interest is that some tables on line show cylinder size, and volume and even a table for continuous flow, Conservation 3 to 1 flow and Conservation 5 to 1 Flow. One table is http://www.Respondo2.com.I presume the conservation flows are for a multiplier, but I may be wrong here.

PLEASE POST other KNOWN MODELS OR WEBSITES for these multiplier devices if known and / or experience? This type info could be a great foldout info folder for Forum distribution, right? Above all please discuss with your doctor or professional while exploring these possibilities.

Randy replied 2 weeks, 4 days ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Randy

April 13, 2024 at 12:46 pm

Good afternoon,

I got the pendent style the other day and have been expermenting with it. I tried it on my home oxygen compactor and the bottle. The home I have at 10, which is the limit.i was able get it down to 6 and then 7 and finally8 before noticing a change. The 6-7 wasn’t putting out enough even with the oxymizer .At 8 it felt like about 12 or higher. I went for a short walk and then drive with the cylinder and I don’t think there is enough pressure from the bottles to make it work like it should. I normally have mine at 6, up from 5 and I couldn’t feel the difference. I was really hoping there would be a difference to the positive. At 6 the bottle runs out quicker then at 5. I have run out more then once and had to pull over on the side of the road to change bottles.

That is all I can tell you for now. Since I have only had it for a couple of days, just don’t have enough experience with it yet.