Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Fun and General Chat Polls & Quizzes Pedometer, SpO2 bracelets/watches

• Pedometer, SpO2 bracelets/watches

Posted by linda-williams on August 5, 2019 at 11:23 am

Hi! This may be a topic already but I have not found it.  I have wanted a wrist pedometer that also shows oxygen saturations ACCURATELY.  I used to use a Fit Bit for pedometer and liked it but the counter will no longer charge, even with a new adapter for charging. So I got a Flex 3 I think it was called but have a large wrist at 8.25 inches and it did not accommodate so sent it back. Finding just pedometer with O2 sat seems impossible. So I tried a watch with one year guarantee which was easy to connect with app on phone. But after wearing it 2 days I sent it back as it always showed an O2 sat of 99%. It reads between 90-96% on finger oximeter. It also gave at least double the steps. I have a pedometer that goes around my neck but hate the dangling.  Do not always have pockets and does not give an O2 sat.

What brand names and types have you found that gives correct information?  I know it will cost more.  Thank you for any answers re your experience with devices.

Linda Williams

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • duncan-fowler

August 6, 2019 at 9:33 am

I too have looked for a watch that accurately displays O2 saturation.  I don’t think there is one on the market yet.  Maybe Apple will include it in a future build.  (I do like my Apple Watch)

• kathy-medina

August 6, 2019 at 9:52 am

Hi Linda,

I was telling my pulmonary doctor last year that I didn’t care about a fit bit but I we should invent something like that that would monitor your O2 levels!  I was in the Dr office about a month ago and found a ad for a unit called H.E.l.O).  It claims to monitor heart rate, sleep, blood pressure, calories, mood, energy, steps, panic button, perform EKG and best of all coming soon is blood sugar, blood oxygen, and blood alcohol.  Here is the information: to purchase: http://www.stgeorgehealth.worldgn.com or for more info: http://www.stgeorgehealth.helo.life/tour3 there is also a phone number 407-963-0602.  I called and the one that monitors your blood oxygen is due to come out in December. As I recall it was not too pricey!  I hope this helps you.

Kathy

• Charlene Marshall

August 6, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Hi @kathymedina,

Thanks so much for sharing this information – really interesting! I will keep this in mind to circle back in December about it and see if it is released. I wonder how it accurately does all of this, if it is a surface level device such as on your wrist or something? I’m super curious to hear! There are a couple of apps that claim to measure heart rate by keeping the camera light against your index finger, but I’m not sure how accurate that would be. Really interesting topic Linda, thanks for bringing this up and for the replies Kathy and Duncan! I bet if anyone takes this on, it would be Apple 🙂

Take care,
    Charlene.

• terry-moriarty

August 6, 2019 at 4:18 pm

I’ve been wearing the O2 Vibe O2 meter for about 4 months. It does O2 levels, heart rate and steps. Since this is on your wrist, it’s counting hand movements. Pretty much like all fitbits. Haven’t tried carrying in my pocket to see if it gets more accurate.

O2 level accuracy is pretty good. Have compared it with finger meter and they are usually the same. But, it has varied, showing higher than finger meter on high activity. It has a vibrator if the level goes lower than what you set it too. This is sufficient for me. All I’m looking for is a warning if way off, so I can up my oxygen rate.

It has an app so you can upload and see a graph over a max of 10 hours. No way to see trends over days, at least that are meaningful for me.

Band is 9.5 ” with about a 1″ overlap, so might just fit your needs.

Got it from Amazon.

• Charlene Marshall

August 6, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Terry! I appreciate learning of others’ experiences with a product, and glad to hear that it is comparable or the same as your finger monitor in terms of accuracy! I like the alarm feature if the saturations fall too low too. Glad this is working for you Terry, thanks for sharing. I hope others looking for something like this might check out the Vibe 02 device.

Charlene.

• linda-williams

August 9, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Thank you each for your input. Will keep the one Kathy mentioned in mind also. (H.E.I.O.)  I actually was wondering if anyone would mention the O2 Vibe.  I had seen an ad for it as Costco for $147 to members.  I have a couple of friends who are. But also thought I could just order it myself.  Terry Moriarty it sounds certainly big enough for my wrist.  Do you have to put a finger piece on your finger for the oximeter reading?  It is pictured with one. If so, doesn’t that get in the way of what you are doing?   Linda Williams

• terry-moriarty

August 9, 2019 at 8:49 pm

There is a small,soft plastic, I guess, ring that goes on the thumb. I’ve read that the thumb is the best place to measure oxygen levels and may explain why there are occasionally difference from finger oxymeters. It has a flexible cord that connects to the fitbit-like device on your wrist. I wear it on my left hand. Don’t notice at all. The big flaw is that you can’t see the read-out in sunlight. I think that’s true for the fitbit too. That’s why I depend on the vibrator to let me know when oxygen level drops.

• linda-williams

August 9, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Hi Terry Moriarty.  Thanks for answer. I looked on Amazon tonight and could not find one. Will look again tomorrow. Night, sleep well. Linda Williams

• daryl-long

August 13, 2019 at 11:28 am

Greetings folks,

I share the problem that many of us seem to have:  oxygen drops precipitously when standing after sleeping, sitting, or driving.  I don’t seem aware of it until it drops into the 70s.  Out of concern for organ function and safety, especially driving, I check O2 frequently, and Oximeters have become an obsession for me.  I was dissatisfied with most of the fingertip pulse oximeters that I tried.  Often they couldn’t get a good reading and I found that the accuracy of the units that I bought was questionable.   Even readings from identical units, from the same manufacturer, were off by 3-4 percentage points.  So, I felt uncomfortable driving with that kind of uncertainty.

My physical therapy nurse used Nonin brand oximeter; it would sync up quickly, it worked equally well on any of my fingers, and it seemed less-susceptible to cold.  It turns out that their devices are certified for use by the military, hospitals, and EMTs.  Their list prices are high, but you can find them on eBay used or new old stock.  I found a new Nonin 9550, at auction, for around $60.  Since then, I found a 9560 for not much more $.  So, keep checking until you see one that is more reasonably-priced.   If you’re interested, the Nonin documentation has a performance video that illustrates my point.

If you don’t see a Nonin in your future, I would recommend the Zaccurate products.  I’ve benchmarked a 430-DL against the Nonin.  It didn’t sync-up as readily, but the saturation results were always within a couple of points.

I hope this information is helpful to someone out there.

Best regards,

daryl

• linda-williams

August 13, 2019 at 12:12 pm

@daryllong

Hi Daryl Long!  Thank you for responding to my question. I take it that the Nonin and Zaccurate are finger oximeters.  I had never heard of these brands but now I have thanks to you. This should seem like an easy topic but appears much yet to be learned. Wondering if your therapist puts on thumb as mentioned by Terry Moriarty previously or on index finger. I start respiratory rehab soon after having a PFT tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see where the therapist in my case places it.  I really would like to find a reliable tracker for O2 sats and steps. Have you found any? Thanks again. Linda Williams

• Charlene Marshall

August 13, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Hi Daryl,

Wow, thank you so much for sending this! I am going to look into this, and maybe even write a forum post about it (giving you the appropriate credit of course) to ensure others are informed about this. Really great information, I am confident it will benefit others. Thanks for sharing.
    Charlene