Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults Physiological Responses of Stress

• Physiological Responses of Stress

Posted by Charlene Marshall on October 9, 2018 at 10:11 pm

There is no shortage of literature that talks about the negative impact(s) of stress on our bodies and minds. I’ve always known this, and I think I just took that knowledge for granted or assumed that it wouldn’t necessarily apply to me.

Unfortunately, a family member of mine is experiencing some tough times right now and I am feeling the effects of stress in my body once again. I never really realized our bodies physiological response to stress until I saw a Rheumatologist following a car accident last year. She explained to me about the nerve receptors in our bodies, particularly within our extremities, turn “on” in response to stress. This can cause an abundance of problems but to name a few: widespread nerve pain, trouble sleeping and frequent headaches/visual problems.

Were you aware of the physiological responses to stress?

Do you experience any of these stress-related effects from your diagnosis or living with IPF/PF? 

Back in January 2018, I wrote a column about the physiological responses to stress after my Rheumatologist outlined them for me. I couldn’t believe internally how much stress could impact our bodies. I was always aware of things like stomach aches or irritability in response to stress, but the impact goes much deeper. To read my full column regarding this, click here.

replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.