Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Treatments and Science Esbriet (Pirfenidone) Pirfenidone (Generic for Esbriet) CostPlus

• Pirfenidone (Generic for Esbriet) CostPlus

Posted by Nate on December 15, 2023 at 12:14 pm

Not sure how many of you are aware of this but the billionaire Mark Cuban started a drug company called Cost Plus. For a lot of medications their prices are very good. I recently went to the website and clicked on their link for the pulmonary fibrosis drugs they carry. It listed Pirfenidone, which is the generic for Esbriet. The price for this drug was listed at $30.80 monthly. I don’t know if this will help anyone as I have never even used the website. However, for anyone having trouble getting approved by their insurance, I would think it would at least be worth checking out.

Karen Martin replied 2 months ago 13 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Allan Byron

December 19, 2023 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for info I’ll check it right away, the foundation that help me before don’t have funds.

Allan Byron

• sally williams

December 19, 2023 at 3:44 pm

The $30.80 is for 30 pills so $92.40 for a month…still a much better price.

• Brian

December 19, 2023 at 5:57 pm

Ofev goes generic in March. Hopefully Cost Plus will have that too.

• KTB

February 17, 2024 at 7:46 pm

Do you have any information on this generic Ofev topic? Do you know if Medicare is going to completely cover it?

• Midge Sanford

December 19, 2023 at 9:11 pm

This is an amazing price for esbriet! I have used Cost Plus for other medications that cost much more than what my Medicare Part D insurance pays. Good for him for making this happen. It can help a lot of people.

• Kim Morrison

December 21, 2023 at 4:25 pm

PLEASE read the reviews! They have a low rating with the BBB. I am on Ofev and get assistance with a program. Talk to your Dr about programs that assist in the cost. I ended up with no out of pocket cost with mine.

Just be careful and decide what’s right for you

• MKE

February 14, 2024 at 1:43 pm

We were Amazon Pharmacy customers. When my husband was prescribed Esbriet the price was a shocker. He researched every option. Mark Cuban Cost Plus Pharmacy was the lowest. So far the service is good. Not sure if you can order it from Canadian Pharmacy, it potentially could be even less expensive.

• ConnieCheddar

February 15, 2024 at 2:39 pm

801mg is $69.80 for 30 pills and unfortunately I take 3 pills per day so the cost is over $200 which is more than my insurance at $167 per month.

• MKE

February 15, 2024 at 4:00 pm

Then you have good insurance! We are on Medicare and use our part D provider. I’m wondering if anyone has tried getting these meds in Canada?

• Sally Schindel

February 21, 2024 at 8:15 am

I just ordered my generic Pirfenidone here. 801mg 3x daily, 1 month supply of 90 = $199 + $5 shipping. Very easy to order. They do not go through insurance for this drug.

My Aetna Medicare Advantage plan increased my copay from $200+ to $1400+ per month as of 1-1-24 so this will be great news if all goes well with it and stays well.

• Bill Ogara

February 21, 2024 at 10:40 am

Thank you for this information. I have reached out to my doctor to see if the medication is a good fit. 😀

• Cece

February 23, 2024 at 11:53 am

I have used cost plus for Esbriet twice now. Price ranges from 190 to 242/30 days. Be sure and order well in advance of your last pills as their delivery is not as well established and consistent as other pharmacies. I have found that their customer service, especially tiffany, is wonderful when you finally figure out how to reach them. My first order of Esbriet got lost in the USPS mail. She had UPS deliver an order the next day.

• MKE

February 27, 2024 at 3:10 pm

My husband began Esbriet about 6 weeks ago. The beginning was hard. He was breathless and exhausted by doing things he could easily do pre-Esbriet. Even knowing the side effect of fatigue, neither of us could possibly know that it’s something that we would need to plan 2-3 resting times in our daily lives. He also has severe diarrhea from the medication.

I’m not sure if doctors are explaining the full scope of side effects well to patients. We understood that taking it will hopefully slow the progression of IPF. He seems to be leveling off. He’s no longer breathless from doing little stuff. Still taking rest/naps 2-3 times each day. The stomach problems are still there.

I pray that taking this medicine will be a good choice for him. It seems like it’s helped a lot of people who are posting. Wishing everyone good luck on our journeys.

• Sally Schindel

February 27, 2024 at 4:33 pm

Received my 801mg 90 pills, 1 month rx yesterday. Took 1 week. $199+ $5 shipping. They look a little different than the CVS Specialty Phcy I’ve been taking but my copay went up to $1400+ per month for those so need to find alternatives. My pulmonary NP is fine with this.

New wrinkle-before I even received my first delivery I received an email from Cost Plus that they currently do not have 801mg, only 267mg. So I’ve asked NP to prescribe those also for when they do not have 801. I’ll just need to swallow 9 per day vs 3. Pay $82.40×3 plus shipping, $252 vs $204 when they have the 801s.

Hope this will keep working out OK.

• Karen Martin

February 27, 2024 at 5:21 pm

For those who are on Medicare, once you hit the “catastrophic” stage, they pay all the cost. You will have no copay for the rest of the year. Finally, a good thing about being old! 😉