Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Recurring cyclical pseudomonas & pneumonia

• Recurring cyclical pseudomonas & pneumonia

Posted by cd-roper on June 22, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Has anyone’s doctor found a way to avoid (or lessen) the cycle of recurring pneumonia & pseudomonas? Had pneumonia in 2019 & was diagnosed with IPF in 2020. In 2021, hospitalized March & April (think sent me home too early). Drs here say some of my meds will cause/make lu gs susceptibile to pneumonia & pseudomonas. Anyone having this problem or resolved it?

cd-roper replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Charlene Marshall

June 25, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Hi @mtldy35

I’m so sorry to hear of this experience; pneumonia and pseudomonas are terrifying as a lung disease patient. Depending on which meds you’re on, I’ve heard that from doctors as well: some will make us susceptible to more because they lower our immune system. Might that be how the doctor means you could be more susceptible? If so, its really important to do what you can to protect yourself as immunecompromised: wear a mask (whenever possible), take immune boosting supplements like vitamin C, avoid large crowds, etc. I don’t know if this helps at all? Otherwise I’m not sure how to avoid this, which I know isn’t helpful.

Anyone else have a suggestion/idea to share?
    Charlene.

• cd-roper

July 27, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Still trying to get full strength back to arms & legs so can climb stairs etc.,. Bt pneumothorax (3), pneumonia &, 4 hospital stays, PT strength gets zapped & start again. As result, only time I leave my home is in an ambulance going to ED. Due to Covid, have dr appts by telephone.