Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Lung Transplantation Return to Work Time Post Lung Transplantation.

• Return to Work Time Post Lung Transplantation.

Posted by Charlene Marshall on January 15, 2019 at 11:16 pm

As a young adult living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), the topic of discussing lung transplantation and what it will mean to my immediate and long-term future is scary. However, oftentimes the conversations that are the scariest are those that are most important.

One of the topics I am always interested in hearing from others about is their return-to-work time/plan after a lung transplant. I know ultimately this varies, depending on how the surgery, recovery and rehabilitation goes. We recently welcomed a new manager at work who is spending time getting to know all of us as employees and a bit about us personally as well. When sharing details of my lung disease, and what it will mean eventually, he asked me: “how long is the recovery time from that, in terms of time you’ll need off work”? His question wasn’t out of concern in any way, it truly was just out of curiosity and I was stumped in my answer. I said to him that I really didn’t know…

As a result, I thought I’d connect back with this wonderful community as I know there are some people in our forums who have been through a successful double lung transplant. To those people:

How long were you off of work post-transplant, and did you feel that the time you took to recover was long enough or would you have taken more time off in hindsight?

Do you have any tips to share for those of us facing an eventual double lung transplant, as it pertains to a return-to-work plan?

Thanks in advance for sharing!
    Charlene.

Charlene Marshall replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kevin Ellis

January 24, 2019 at 10:54 am

I received a single lung transplant 7/17. I had a difficult post op with A-fib and Amiodarone toxicity. I was able to return to my same job as a Registered Nurse 6/18 to 12/18 when I had to leave due to low spirometer levels. I hope to be able to return to work soon. I’m waiting on doctors release. I think the key to returning to work are your work conditions and environment.

• Charlene Marshall

January 26, 2019 at 9:03 am

Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for sharing a bit of your story with us regarding lung transplantation. I am so glad you received your gift. Has the A-fib and Amiodarone toxicity sorted itself out now? I often wondered if drug toxicity can be a problem post-transplant, as it seems like you’re on so many medications and I even know of several people who have had damage to their kidneys because of this. Hopefully it was only short-term for you! Do you worry about germ exposure to your new lungs with returning to work as an RN? I’d be curious to hear yours and your doctors thoughts on this, as we have to be so careful with a compromised immune-system post-transplant.

Goodluck with the doctor’s release, I hope it comes soon for you and thanks again for sharing.
    Charlene.