• Posted by Jacqui on August 3, 2022 at 1:26 pm

Hi friends,
    Do any of you have suggestions regarding a rolling cart that could accommodate a portable oxygen concentrator? I know there are heavy-duty dollies for oxygen tanks.
    Currently, my mom has an 8-lb POC that she can carry in a shoulder bag, but she’s lost so much weight we’re trying to find ways that she could use the oxygen more and still remain active. Hauling that bag around takes so much energy that she ends up not using the oxygen enough.

I saw somewhere that a nurse had recommended one of those simple trollies that can be used for grocery shopping.
    Thanks

Camilla replied 1 year, 8 months ago 9 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • John

August 4, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Hi Jacqui,

I walk daily with two supplemental oxygen devices: (1) an Inogen POC in a  Inogen back pack and (2) a regular oxygen tank in a 2-wheeled cart attached to my rollator with a bungee cord. Note that the feasibility of (2)depends on the design of the rollator. Mine is a Drive rollator. Of course the oxygen tank could be used in the cart without a rollator, but I don’t do not find that to work well if I’m going any distance.

John

• Adelaide Campbell

August 9, 2022 at 11:28 am

Yes, I have one, I got it on Amazon.  It’s a neat little thing, red.  I push it or pull it.  When shopping, I can lift the whole thing and put it in my shopping cart.

I’m female, and old.  I find the weight of the POC too much for on the shoulder, ok in a back pack but hard to get at to turn off and on.  But the trolley makes it all so much easier.

I also didn’t use my oxygen as much as I should, but I can take this into the garden with me, I can take it anywhere.  So I’m doing much better with using it.

• Camilla

August 4, 2022 at 5:56 pm

I adapted a 2-wheel oxygen tank cart to hold my Inogen 5 POC. I found a small rectangular woven wire basket at Marshall’s that is just big enough to fit my POC. I removed the top portion of the cart handle and threaded the lower handle up through the open weave metal basket so the basket rests on top of the metal circular tank ring. Then I replaced the upper handle. I attached the basket to the ring with zip ties. Works like a charm.

• Jacqui

August 5, 2022 at 12:34 pm

Thank you!

• Kathi

August 9, 2022 at 2:09 pm

I heard someone once say they use a baby stroller for their oxygen. They fold up easily (some of them!) and hold a lot of tanks/POC and supplies.  I have been looking for a stroller so I can put three tanks in it and go walking around the lake on nice weather days. I think it’s a brilliant idea!

• Paula Gee

August 9, 2022 at 3:41 pm

I use a walker with a seat on it and put my portable concentrator on the seat to move around in the house. I also use the walker to carry my laundry to the laundry room, trays to the kitchen etc. it really gives me a lot of confidence having it to help with the energy usage. I also try to use the wine bottle size oxygen bottles when I am out for a few hours because it is so much lighter to carry. Best of luck in your search for the right thing for you.
    Paula

• Paula Bentley-Mathews

August 9, 2022 at 8:10 pm

When first using portable oxygen, I used Zuca cart,one used by ice skaters. The machine fit into the side mesh bag,and the rest of the Zuca functioned as my purse. With a rollator, I hung the concentrator on the front using the long strap. With my motorized scooter, I hang it from the back of the head rest.

• Darlene Cochran

August 10, 2022 at 2:22 am

Consider going to an office supply store and look at some of the carts that are used to haul around laptop computers. They have a number of pockets and I use it to carry personal items and strap the Portable on with a strap. It is easy to roll and meets carry on requirements for the airlines. However, because it is for your Oxygen it is not counted as your carry on. The Oxygen carrier is free additional medical carry on allowed. The extra battery and charging unit fit inside the pockets easily. I actually use the one I had when I worked, it now carries the laptop and the rest of the regalia all in one easy unit. Retired but reused for an equally important task. You may even fine a used one at Goodwill or some other used product store. Good luck. Breathe easy, Darlene

• Jacqui

August 11, 2022 at 3:27 am

Wow, these are all great ideas. I really appreciate each of you taking the time to share what’s worked for you.

If I present enough suggestions to my mom, I am optimistic she can find something she likes.

My very best to you all.

• Teresa Lim

August 11, 2022 at 2:23 pm

I recently bought Enogen G5 POC. Enogen makes a pulling cart that fits perfectly and easy to handle. Cost about $150

• Camilla

August 11, 2022 at 4:23 pm

I use the rolling tank cart for the smaller oxygen tank. I found a metal grid basket at Joanne’s Fabrics that is just the right size for my Inogen 5 POC. (About $15; found near the silk flower section.) I removed the top telescoping part of the cart handle, threaded the basket over the bottom part of the cart handle, and reattached the handle. The basket rests on top of the upper metal ring of the cart. I used twist ties to stabilize the basket so it would not swivel around the handle. Zip ties would be better to use. There is just enough extra space to hold my oximeter and a mask. I use another cart for tanks, so I don’t have to switch this setup for my POC. I’ll tried to upload photos from my iPhone camera, but I can’t figure out how.