Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Fun and General Chat Healthy Recipe Sharing Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

• Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Posted by Charlene Marshall on August 20, 2018 at 8:51 am

Yesterday I wrote a forum post about the comfort and joy I find in autumn scents. More specifically, I wrote about how I was unsure if burning candles this year would be good for me given my use of supplemental oxygen in the home due to my idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) diagnosis.

Burning autumn-scented candles is just a simple joy that brings me a lot of comfort at home, and its not something I want to give up if I don’t have to. However, in yesterday’s forum post I also mentioned how pleasantly surprised I was with a recipe I had in the slow-cooker, and how it was naturally scenting up my kitchen on a Sunday afternoon. That recipe was apple cinnamon oatmeal, and I thought I’d share it with our forum members because it was delicious!

In keeping with my personal commitment to not consume much sugar, and little-to-no white sugar, I changed this recipe around a little as it called for too much brown sugar (in my opinion). I supplemented it for a blend of maple syrup and honey – both I know still have higher sugar contents, but at least its more natural sugar.

Here is the recipe in case you want to give it a try this fall. It is “autumn in a bowl” in my opinion and makes the house smell great!

Nutritional Info (per 3/4 cup serving): 149 calories, 3.6g fat, 27.3g carbs, 3.9g fiber, 4.9g protein.

Ingredients
    • 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
    • 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk)
    • 1-1/2 cups water
    • 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
    • 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
      Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.
      Original recipe found here. Enjoy!

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Marianne

June 5, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Hi Charlene –

Bet you could make this with pears and perhaps add some fresh cranberries – if you like tart.  I don’t do butter might use a bit of solid coconut oil.  Might use coconut sugar in place of brown sugar.  I imagine the cranberries would have to be added part way through the baking.  Might also be good with fresh peaches.  You can tell I like to experiment with recipes.  Wish I had fresh apples or pears here but I do not.  I am too lazy to go to the store tonight.  I think I will try this tomorrow night for Friday morning.

Thanks for sharing.

Marianne

• Charlene Marshall

June 5, 2019 at 7:32 pm

@marianne, I’ll be coming over to your hours for breakfast, lunch or a snack if you make this recipe with all the different fruits you mentioned. Pears or peaches would be divine! Let me know if you try it out and what you think. I really enjoy tossing recipes like this in my slow cooker overnight for a scrumptious breakfast on Saturday or Sunday mornings. It is a bit of a weekend treat for me 🙂

Eager to hear what you think if you make the recipe!
    Cheers,
    Charlene.

• Marianne

June 5, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Charlene –

I will set a place for you.  I usually eat pretty early – like around 7 AM but I slept in today until 8:30 AM.  I figure I must have needed the sleep.  I never sleep all night long but I haven’t for a long time.  When I wake up during the night I usually go back to sleep quickly.  Thinking of getting a FitBit or another device that tracks my sleep.  Not sure if that is because of PF or just me.  Pretty long way to come for breakfast.  I am seriously thinking of going to PF Summit in TX in November.  I will let you know if I decide to go.  If so, would love to meet up with you.  TX – I am sure will be warmer in November than Ohio or Canada.

Going to a local farmers market tomorrow.  I am not usually home to go but I am working from home right now probably for a couple more weeks.  Then back to the office for half days.  I know right now I could not work 8-9 hours a day.  I don’t have the energy for it.  Hoping that is just recovery from the VATS surgery.  My side is still very tender.

Take care.

Marianne

• Charlene Marshall

June 6, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Sounds perfect Marianne, what time should I be there? Typically, I don’t get up that early even on mornings I have to work! 🙂 Glad you slept in today, sounds like your body needed it, it has a way of ensuring we do what we need.

I have decided I will go to the PFF Summit in Texas too, pending I am healthy enough to fly in November. I suspect I will be, as I’ll just be home from Hawaii about a month before. Much warmer in Texas than in Canada in November, you are correct. I keep thinking that I just can’t pass up the opportunity to go and hear so much brilliance in one room! Do let me know if you’re coming, I’d love to go for dinner and spend some time with you.

Hope you enjoyed the market, and let me know when you’ve perfected the oatmeal so I can join you for breakfast 🙂 I’m a little silly tonight, maybe it is time for bed… Lol!

Charlene.