Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge STALL Technique for Combating Breathlessness

• STALL Technique for Combating Breathlessness

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 20, 2020 at 11:20 pm

Managing breathlessness is a popular topic among our forum members, as unfortunately this is a very common side effect that many of us living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) experience. I have had several experiences where I was left feeling short of breath or breathless, and this has to be one of the most anxiety-provoking things one can experience!

I recently saw an acronym shared on another social media platform for IPF/PF and I thought our members might benefit from it as well. Have you ever heard of the STALL Breathing technique?

If you experience breathlessness, try to remember the acronym STALL, which stands for:

S – Stop what you are doing
    T – Try and remain calm (hard one!). Turn up your oxygen.
    A – Assume a comfortable position
    L – Let your imagination take you to a safe place (meditation, guided imagery)
    L – Let your breathing return to normal.

Are there other simple tasks or strategies that you turn to when experiencing breathlessness?

If so, please share them with us!

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jim-foley

May 21, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Taking deep breathes and exhaling through pursed lips helps me mitigate breathlessness.

• Charlene Marshall

May 23, 2020 at 10:12 am

Thanks for sharing @jim-foley, also great tips! I agree with you the pursed lip breathing is very helpful 🙂

• karen-martin

May 26, 2020 at 11:19 am

The main point that struck me with this was that no one has ever suggested to me that I should turn up my oxygen if this happens!! Thanks so much for that piece of advice.

• Charlene Marshall

June 6, 2020 at 9:06 pm

@casey

I am glad this information is helpful my friend! I hope you’re keeping as well as possible. Think of you often!
    Charlene 🙂