Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Third Vaccine Dose Chat Thread

• Third Vaccine Dose Chat Thread

Posted by Christie Patient on August 22, 2021 at 12:27 am

With the recent authorization of a third shot of the mRNA vaccines for immunocompromised folks (in the US), I am just curious to see what the response is in different parts of the world. The CDC authorized third doses last week, and the team at UCSF (where my mom is a patient) followed suit and immediately advised third shots for transplant patients. She was able to walk in without an appointment or pre-authorization and get her shot at her local pharmacy. Has your experience been the same or different with your care team? Have you had access to a third dose if your doctors have recommended it?

I am also curious about side effects if you have gotten the third shot. My mom reported a sore arm along with feeling “kinda crummy”, but had no fever or chills. These side effects were similar to her second dose. Did you experience similar, better, or worse side effects with the third shot? If you suffered a drop in oxygen saturations previously, have you had that same experience with dose 3?

Dennis Rowe replied 2 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Thomas Johnson

August 24, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Got my booster ten days ago…Pfizer.  Zero side effects.  Feeling indestructible (well, almost, except for the IPF!).

• Michael Wikan

August 24, 2021 at 4:05 pm

I get my 3rd dose at 1930 today here in Florida. Having Pulmonary Fibrosis does not qualify me for the receipt of an early Pfizer dose, but taking OFEV does qualify me. With all the rumors floating around about whether the vaccine is good or bad for us, my decision is that I “have to” take it because I am already a committed vaccine recipient. My wife will have to wait for a few weeks. Neither of us had adverse reactions for the first 2 doses in January.

• Stewart

August 24, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Got booster 10 days ago just by walking into CVS and asking. No qualifications required. I wanted Moderna (said to be better against the Delta variant), but they said CDC required I get same as before, Pfizer it was.

They offered a flu shot as well, so I got that as well. (My said it’s better to get flu shot in September, just before flu season, because its effectiveness declines pretty quickly.

Slightly sore arm for a day.

• Stewart

August 24, 2021 at 5:38 pm

(Ahem. It was my DOCTOR who said flu shot effectiveness is short-lived.)

• Christie Patient

August 24, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Yay! Glad to hear you all are taking the steps to bolster your system against covid… and that it sounds like your side effects are minimal. So far that seems to be the case among people I’ve talked to with the exception of one lung transplant friend of mine (a cystic fibrosis patient). They had a strong reaction to the booster dose. They have an odd case though, as they got covid, then got the J&J vaccine, and finally did a booster with Pfizer. Their immune system went a little crazy and he had a 104 fever for several days.

Yes use of OFEV should make you eligible as it suppresses the immune system.

And your doc is right Stewart, though I’ve heard a different reason for the later/fall season flu shot. What I’ve heard (and this could be wrong, I am not a doctor) is because each year the flu looks a little different, the people developing annual vaccines kind of take their best guess as to which strain will be the most prevalent when they are manufacturing the doses. So, the closer to flu season, the more likely the preliminary case data will inform the guess, and therefore the more likely the guess will be correct.

• Karen Martin

August 25, 2021 at 8:49 am

I’m on Esbriet and don’t know if this qualifies me for a third shot.  Will ask my doctor.  For those of you who get a sore arm, I was told to massage the area when it starts to ache.  I did this when I got my first two shots and it made the soreness go away very quickly.  Stay safe, everyone!

• Marisa Beard

August 25, 2021 at 3:55 pm

I can’t get a booster yet because I got the J&J vacine. Although there is no problem with me qualifying I will still have to wait.

• R. Chris

August 26, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Got my 3rd shot booster this past Monday morning after applying online the previous Friday with CVS. Pfizer. No problems at all. With either signing on or with side effects. A slightly sore arm the following day was all. I’ll be headed back over in September for the flu vaccine which I’ve gotten every year for several years now. A little background; Male, 70 years old, diagnosed IPF a little over two years now, on 3X801mg Esbriet for almost as long.

• Thomas Adams

August 26, 2021 at 7:09 pm

I got my Moderna booster a week ago today. Slightly sore arm and really tired the following day. Just fine the next day.

• Dennis Rowe

August 26, 2021 at 8:51 pm

I got my booster on the 24th…Arm still sore, but fatigue is fading…I’m just happy to get the booster!  Wear your masks and stay safe out there!