• Travel Tips and Tricks

Posted by Gina Myhill-Jones on March 26, 2023 at 12:54 pm

Everyone needs a little adventure now and then. But PF can be a real challenge when it comes to living large. What are your best adventure tips? Here, I’ll start:
    I have rigged a safety harness to make getting back into the boat easier after a nice snorkel with sharks. Plans are also afoot to rig an O2tank to a float and a link to the snorkel for the O2 line ( will involve glue and a drill). Swim fin gloves make for less work for the legs ( every bit helps) and a flotation vest for resting rounds out the gear.
    Also just bought a tiny (456 gram) folding stool to take along exploring Mayan Ruins. Back pack will have portable O2 concentrator, water, stool for resting, bug spray ( Belize) and extra sunscreen ( Pirfenidone)…
    Getting out there is good for the soul !

Gina Myhill-Jones replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Rhonda Kramer

March 30, 2023 at 8:18 pm

I managed to go to the lake last year for a couple of days with my son and his family. Fortunately, they have a very nice camper with a good generator, so I could take my home oxygen with me.

The one thing extra I bought was called an Oxyfloat. It’s really a simple item, just a light weight foam, kind of like what those floating tubes are made out of, with a couple of straps on it. I could strap my oxygen tank (not, of course, my portable concentrator) on it and get out in the lake with my grandson.

• Vangie

April 21, 2023 at 9:52 am

Hello, I was diagnosed with ILD about a year ago and while I don’t have much trouble breathing or feeling short of breath my oxygen saturation levels can drop with very little exertion, which is new. I will be snorkeling soon and have read what has been posted, But I had not thought about the danger of drowning. I wonder if this is more common when you have problems catching your breath/breathing. I use supplemental oxygen only at altitudes above 5000ft or if I am walking long distances or doing any exercising. Usually, after exertion if I rest my saturation levels rise to a normal level within a couple of minutes. Any insight or tips are much appreciated, Thank you!

• Charlene Marshall

April 23, 2023 at 10:19 am

Hi @vangie

thanks for sharing a bit about your story and upcoming snorkelling adventures – I love to snorkel, it’s one of my favourite travel-related activities but I admit, it is getting a lot harder. A couple of tips that have made it a little easier for me include:
    1. Keep your oxygen nearby (ie. on the boat you’re snorkelling from or on the shore of the beach)
    2. try to snorkel in shallow and calm waters, as battling any currents or waves will take even more effort/energy and may leave you feeling breathless faster.
    3. come up for air PROACTIVELY. Meaning, if you’re starting to feel short of breath or winded come up for air, the longer you wait and the more “air hungry” you are, the more likely you’re going to inhale too quickly and potentially take in water from your snorkel. I can’t speak about this one enough!
    4. Stay close to the surface when snorkelling and if you go under fully, don’t go too deep.

I am not endorsing anyone snorkel with IPF or saying its safe, but if you do, these tips should help you have a better experience. Hope this helps!
    Char.

• Gina Myhill-Jones

May 16, 2023 at 5:58 pm

I got in some quality shark time ! Snorkelling was fantastic !

• Linda Scarbrough

May 18, 2023 at 9:00 am

You are my kind of woman. My hero.