Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums BioNews Content Flash Briefings & Podcasts Vast Majority of Americans Are Unfamiliar With PF Symptoms

• Thom

March 5, 2020 at 9:28 am

If i had to guess, I’d say the vast majority of the population worldwide knows little about the disease.  Its important to keep it out front.

Thom

• Thom

March 5, 2020 at 9:32 am

Post Script.

Years before i was diagnosed my GP wondered aloud why I was always short of breath.  He even sent me for CT scan and ultra sound.  No one said a word

• Charlene Marshall

March 6, 2020 at 10:26 am

Hi @thom ,

I completely agree with you, though it is so unfortunate how many people are unfamiliar with IPF despite its deaths being comparable to breast cancer every year. It breaks my heart when patients endure difficult conversations with their physicians who have also never heard of IPF. It just seems like an added level of cruelty if I am honest…

You’re right: we need to keep this at the forefront of many conversations! Hope you continue to do as well as possible. I am just home from California, spending time with friends and advocating for IPF awareness. I am eager to see some of the content that was produced from that, all in an effort to help others better understand the struggles of an IPF patient.

Take care,
    Char.