Tagged: 

• Welcome 2023!

Posted by Charlene Marshall on December 30, 2022 at 11:45 am

Somehow another year has come and gone, and I remain as grateful as ever for the members on this forum. For another year, you have selflessly shared your personal experiences with others, inevitably making their journey a little easier. You have helped each other advocate for yourselves, laugh and virtually wiped away tears while navigating this difficult journey with pulmonary fibrosis…. thank you.

I have always enjoyed giving some thought to the end of one year before a new one begins. I think about some of my favourite moments in 2022 (usually through the camera roll of photos on my phone) and reflect on what I’ve learnt from the not-so-great moments too. And, since my diagnosis of IPF in 2016, I am so grateful to be seeing 2023!

As we say farewell to this year, and remember those who aren’t moving into 2023 with us due to this dreaded disease, I am curious to hear:

What has been one of your favourite moments or memories from 2022?

What are you most looking forward to in 2023?

Have a wonderful and safe new year, everyone!

Gordon B Sandmire replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Wendy Dirks

December 31, 2022 at 6:40 am

My favourite moments this year are hard to define as almost the entire year was spent in hospital or hospice care. I guess I have to say the last two months when I was at home and refused to go back into hospital. I’m now in hospice care and being treated to make me comfortable as I am now dying and the consultant thinks that time is short. I was trying to think of how to say goodbye and this seems a good opportunity. I’m comfortable, content, and completely at peace. There did come a point where the breathlessness and other symptoms made me so miserable that the sweet peace of death sounds welcome. I wish you all a happy 2023.

• Marian Kremer

December 31, 2022 at 8:36 pm

One of my favorite memories of 2022 was celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with most of our kids and their families at Kalahari resort. There were 15 of us in a 5 bedroom duplex.  I Stayed in the duplex due to being on oxygen but everyone else got to go to the pool area. Looking for a lung transplant for 2023. Been on the list for over 2 years.

• Christie Patient

January 3, 2023 at 4:00 am

In a year that has been defined by great personal loss, it’s good practice to reflect on the good memories. Thanks for this Charlene..

My favorite memories were from traveling to Scotland. It was the first time my husband and I traveled abroad together. We saw so many cool things, hiked in the highlands, ate a ton of good food, slept in a hobbit house on the Isle of Skye, saw Queen with Adam Lambert, and sampled far too many beers from far too many pubs. It was wonderful to finally be able to treat ourselves to a big adventure (all those years of picnic dates and camping “vacations” finally paid off haha).

As for 2023? In the near future, my extended family will gather here in Hawaii and we will have a little family reunion. First time in a long time we’ll all be in one place, and I am looking forward to that.

Happy New Year everyone!

• Samuel Kirton

January 3, 2023 at 4:06 pm

Happy New Year Charlene! My favorite 2022 moment was traveling aboard Amtrak’s California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco. The highlight was crossing the continental divide with my new lungs just 16 months post-transplant. In 2023 I want to continue to make every breath count while discovering more of America.

Sam …

• Gordon B Sandmire

January 3, 2023 at 5:59 pm

Hi Charlene,
    The highlight of 2022 for me was celebrating my wife and my 60th wedding anniversary. Our daughter and her husband flew out from Wisconsin to help us celebrate and neighbors threw a wonderful party in or honor. Our son, also from Wisconsin, was here for Christmas which topped of a great year in spite of my IPF and emphysema.