• Anti-Inflammatory Supplements: 8 Natural Options

Posted by Charlene Marshall on May 25, 2021 at 8:09 pm

It’s no secret that inflammation can wreck havoc on our bodies, especially when that inflammation is not in response to an acute injury or infection. A Q&A from Harvard Women’s Health Watch discusses when inflammation is actually a good thing vs. when it can be dangerous for us. We talk a lot about inflammation here on the forums, and I’ve shared that my cRP (a blood marker of inflammation) has previously been very high. This was during my experience with COVID-19, so that could be the cause of this elevated cRP but I still always strive to do everything I can to reduce excess inflammation in my body. One of the ways to do that is focusing on a healthy diet, and supplements which naturally reduce inflammation in the body.

One of our amazing forum members sent me an article on 8 natural supplement options that helps reduce inflammation in the body. That article can be found HEREPlease note: I (nor is anyone at BioNews/PF News) endorsing the use of these supplements, I am just sharing this article merely for information and interest sake.

I always look forward to summer, because in addition to the warmer weather, fresh fruit and vegetables are available at a reasonable price as well, along with fresh fish! Here’s to a few upcoming months of eating well and enjoying some seasonal foods that are also good for my body. This helps me feel better overall!

What supplements or food do you find helps reduce inflammation in your body as a patient with IPF/PF?  

Charlene Marshall replied 2 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Christie Patient

May 25, 2021 at 9:21 pm

Hey Charlene, I am excited that you will soon be eating the summer diet! That was always a highlight for me too on the mainland, but I have found it to be more of a year-round thing here in Hawaii, for which I am tremendously grateful. Fresh fruits, veggies, and fish are my favorite. 🙂

I have taken SAM-e for 4 years. I started taking it at the recommendation of my therapist to help me fight depression. I wasn’t interested in anti-depressants, though I certainly should have been at that time in my life, but I think the SAM-e kind of saved my life. It turned everything around for me, mentally, and I have continued taking it for maintenance of mental health AND for secondary benefits of reducing inflammation. I have arthritis in my hips and around old injuries in my foot and knee. I can tell within a few days if I stop taking it, as I get more joint pain.

I also take zinc, and regularly eat foods in which omegas are bioavailable. Eating well is really doing such a kindness to your body, even if the junk tastes good sometimes. 🙂

• Charlene Marshall

May 29, 2021 at 9:13 am

Hi @christie-patient

Thanks for your reply! I am very envious of the fresh produce you have access to in Hawaii – I ate pineapple and bananas everyday while I was there and think we visited the Dole Plantation enough for them to recognize us when we walked in, Lol!

Interesting about the SAM-e… I’ll look into that option and discuss with my doctor. The sun being out now that it is summer here really helps my mental health (I’m a sucker for vitamin D) but if I can take a supplement that is good for both that and inflammation, I am interested. Thanks for sharing!
      Char.

• Allan Byron

May 26, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback