Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Harletta Carathel
      Participant

Friends, Need advice ASAP. Has anyone been diagnosed with an UTI and taken an antibiotic? I have just found out the one I was given can cause adverse pulmonary damage. It is nitrofurantoin
      I live in a small town with a general practitioner who is not aware of drugs that adversely affect IPF.
      I f you have been treated for a UTI, please advise a drug that will not advance my IPF

Gloria M Wheeler
      Participant

I find that physicians are unaware of macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin) role with IPF. It may have actually caused my IPF as I was on long-term therapy for chronic UTI’s.  Yet, I continue to have it prescribed for my UTI’s. I always ask them what they’re prescribing and find Physicians are very willing to switch RX once I explain that it may have been a (the) causative factor in my IPF.   I have not found metropolitan physicians are any less likely to prescribe it.  The beauty of a rural Dr is that once he is educated about the connection, he’ll know not to prescribe in the future.  I do not know of other antibiotics connected to IPF.

Christie Patient
      Keymaster

Hi Harletta, good thinking not just taking it without asking around first if you don’t trust your doctor to know all of the interactions. I don’t have an answer, but I do know that my mom was taken off of OFEV when she was treated (in-patient) with an extreme course of antibiotics following a ruptured appendix. I’m not sure which antibiotic(s) it was, but it was this event that preceded the acute exacerbation that almost took her life. Her situation was pretty extreme, but it’s definitely worth making sure the prescription will not worsen your IPF or interact with antifibrotics. Hopefully, people with more knowledge and insight will chime in here to help.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©[current-year] KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen