Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Antibiotics adversely affecting IPF

• gloria-m-wheeler

May 3, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I find that physicians are unaware of macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin) role with IPF. It may have actually caused my IPF as I was on long-term therapy for chronic UTI’s.  Yet, I continue to have it prescribed for my UTI’s. I always ask them what they’re prescribing and find Physicians are very willing to switch RX once I explain that it may have been a (the) causative factor in my IPF.   I have not found metropolitan physicians are any less likely to prescribe it.  The beauty of a rural Dr is that once he is educated about the connection, he’ll know not to prescribe in the future.  I do not know of other antibiotics connected to IPF.

• christie

May 4, 2022 at 2:12 am

Hi Harletta, good thinking not just taking it without asking around first if you don’t trust your doctor to know all of the interactions. I don’t have an answer, but I do know that my mom was taken off of OFEV when she was treated (in-patient) with an extreme course of antibiotics following a ruptured appendix. I’m not sure which antibiotic(s) it was, but it was this event that preceded the acute exacerbation that almost took her life. Her situation was pretty extreme, but it’s definitely worth making sure the prescription will not worsen your IPF or interact with antifibrotics. Hopefully, people with more knowledge and insight will chime in here to help.

• alex-marion

October 16, 2023 at 3:33 pm

My wife took it for 10 years as a prophilactic, and she was diagnosed this year with IPF, After a lot of reading, she soped in August this year, before a LFT, we have another one in January, and aftr the results i will follow up with the respirologist .

• msherbert

October 16, 2023 at 10:55 pm

There is a website pneumotox.com where you can enter the generic name of a drug and see any pulmonary interactions. Those with an ILD side effect listed should be investigated. The statin I take is not my PCP’s first choice for that reason.

• alex-marion

October 18, 2023 at 9:32 am

Hi Kim:

The site you provided has a lot of information, thank you very much for sharing. I also find that if the case

this is the reason of the IPF, it may be stoped providing you stop the medicine, at this point and if is corroborated by the Dctors, it may be called

Drug induced pulmonary fibrosis. Not reverseval but may stop progresing, as the medication stop and will not produce any more damage.

• kim-morrison

October 17, 2023 at 3:09 pm

Call the pharmacist at the specialty pharmacy you get your PF medicine from. They can tell you. I have consulted with them several times and they are very helpful. Even researched a supplement I take and called me with their findings.

• terrig

October 17, 2023 at 3:32 pm

I would contact a pharmacist and ask. Also, I’ve had many UTIs and have always taken Bactrim, which, as far as I know, hasn’t caused any pulmonary problems for me. However, I haven’t used it since starting Ofev, so I don’t know how Bactrim (or any antibiotic) interacts with Ofev.

• don-moffett

October 17, 2023 at 3:36 pm

I was given fosfomycin

• Thadrow

October 18, 2023 at 1:07 pm

Howdy,

About a year ago I was diagnosed with Nitrofaurintin toxicity.

Due due a bladder condition I intermittently catheter 4/5 times a day so preventive antibiotics are pretty much a daily med.

In 2020 Trimethroprine became hard to get so my urology dude switched me to Natroforuntan and it worked really well in keeping uti under control.

I am a 69 year old life long high performance cyclist/ultra runner/ athlete and beginning cyclocross season last fall I realized I could not get my lungs to expand, couldn’t get heart up, could not supply oxygen and felt constricted in my lung expansion.

Went to my GP and he said long covid I did some research and came up with toxicity issues related to Natroforuntan.

Got appointment with pulmonologist, x rays, Ct scan etc confirmed scarring and nodule.

Immediately stopped that anti biotic, switched to trimethroprine and within 6 weeks started improving, at 6 months I’ve been released by pulmonologist.

At 6 weeks post stopping natro my pft results were 120%_150% of”normal “

So my urologist said I was first person he ever encountered with toxicity to that type of anti biopics, a pharmacy friend I talked to never heard of it, my go said no way it was s problem.

So self research and educating yourself is critical.

This forum helps answer questions.

I hope this reply helps and gives hope that stopping this type of antibiotic can many times reverse damage caused if scarring is related directly to this and not another cause.