Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Breathing Treatments

• Steve Dragoo

April 30, 2019 at 8:28 am

@jeannie-finley

Hi Jeannie – because I have IPF breathers have little to no impact on my breathing. We did a forced air test before and after an inhaler and it did not change my gas exchanges, heart rate, (actually increased it a little), or O2 levels. Hope you find what works best for you.  I do use serrapeptase (enzyme) to clear out lung mucus and it is very good at it,

Best to you – Steve

• Jeannie

April 30, 2019 at 11:43 am

Thanks for answering and I am going to check with second doctor to see if I really need to be doing all of these treatments.

• Robert Carlson

April 30, 2019 at 9:56 am

Steve Dragoo,

You made mention of Serrapeptase(4/30).  How is it that you happen to be taking Serrapeptase to help clear mucus?  I also have IPF and have problems with upper respiratory mucus.  I have found that using a saline solution to clear my sinuses and throat (4) or (5) times a day quite helpful.  For how long have you been taking Serrapeptase and what dosage and frequency?

RGC_Bob

• Steve Dragoo

April 30, 2019 at 10:43 am

@rgc-bob

Hi Bob,

Not sure of your question but I wanted to find ways to slow mucus and help scar tissue. Serrapeptase fit that so I started it and have some interesting improvements. If you consider – do your research because I have no idea what other meds you may be taking but you do not want to take them anywhere close to serra because it sees all food and pills as dead protein and this is what it potentially dissolves. Make sure you get enteric coated so it will dissolve in the small intestine where it can work more efficiently.

I started at 120000 SU daily about 5 months ago and now take 205000 SU (not IU) 2X daily. It has also significantly removed my many capillary varicose veins – an interesting benefit… – Steve

• Rob

May 3, 2019 at 7:49 am

I am taking Esbriet for IPF but had developed frequent and painful sinus congestion recently.  I started taking Serrapeptase(along with saline spray)to help that problem but I do believe my breathing has improved as well.  I’m normally a skeptic about supplements but would like to hear other IPF patients response to Serrapeptase.   Rob

• Charlene Marshall

May 3, 2019 at 8:02 am

Hi @obleek (Rob),

Thanks for writing and asking for some advice re: supplements and Serrapeptase. I’m glad @steve-dragoo replied to you, as he is very knowledgeable about this and has been kind enough to share information about this with the forums. Definitely connect with him for more information if interested 🙂

Best wishes,
      Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

May 3, 2019 at 7:55 am

@obleek

Hey Rob,

I have posted frequently what I have learned about and the effective use of serrapeptase on these forums for the past several months.  There are some videos on Youtube and a couple of doctors I generally follow have some insights to share as well as WebMd.  Success to you in your search…

Steve

• David Swain

May 3, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Hi Rob and Bob,

I can confirm the advice of Steve Dragoo. have been taking serrapeptase for many years before being diagnosed with IPF a year ago. Since being diagnosed I have increased my dose to 300SUs a day. Although I cough a little, I have very little phlegm and believe this is due to the serrapeptase. I hope this helps. David

• Rob

May 5, 2019 at 6:45 am

Thanks David ( @davidaswain ).  I’m currently taking 240,000 but may try to bump up.  Do you always take it on an empty stomach?

Rob