Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Help for High Oxygen User Nasal Pain

• Shafi

November 27, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Thank we’re did get Aloe gel. Thanks

• Bert Maidment

November 30, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I use AYR (saline with aloe) for the nasal issues: it softens the crusty build up so that after a while you can blow your nose to eject the crusty build up and open up the nasal passages for easier breathing … also quells nasal bleeding.  I hope this helps others …. BERT

• Bert Maidment

November 30, 2021 at 2:28 pm

I use AYR (saline with aloe) for the nasal issues: it softens the crusty build up so that after a while you can blow your nose to eject the crusty build up and open up the nasal passages for easier breathing … also quells nasal bleeding.  I hope this helps others …. BERT

• Marti

December 17, 2023 at 4:16 pm

Good to know. Thanks

• Shafi

November 30, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Sure I do the same

• Shafi

November 30, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Just use Aloe and saline spray. That help me and lot of other on this forum.

• Christine McCann

December 9, 2021 at 2:39 pm

I was told by the Lincare tech that high liter oxygen use takes a bigger canula size. I don’t now why that is not something that is told to patients at the time of prescription.

• Jack Blum

December 9, 2021 at 6:53 pm

Hi,

I have had a double lung transplant, but was on oxygen for 5 1/2 years. When on 7 liters I developed bloody painful scabs in my right nostril. Went to a ear nose and throat doctor and he took my cannula and clipped the ends at an angle and that directed the oxygen flow up my nasal passages instead of against the scabs in my nose. It healed up in a couple of days and ended the problem. Hope it works for you.

Jack

• Marti

December 17, 2023 at 4:18 pm

Wow! I’ll keep that “handy tip” in mind if my nose gets bloody or scabby! Thanks.

• John

December 16, 2021 at 9:19 am

Hi everyone, I feel a need to respond to this topic. I have followed this forum for many years before joining and posting today … kudos to Charlene Marshal who is so key to success of the forum and to all who contribute.
    I started using a Navage device to flush out my sinuses when at a very early stage in this journey. I used the device occasionally at first … only when needed. When I got into higher oxygen use, the Navage device became more essential, for all the reasons mentioned in this discussion. I bought mine in the US and know they are available in Canada.
    I currently flush my sinuses twice each session (once each direction) and have two sessions a day … my needs at this time are higher perhaps than most. Navage uses a simple saline solution that comes in pods. The pods can add up in cost, but for me it is more than worth the expense. I have heard of people using a temporary work around but have not pursued this. I also make use of Vaseline like products after each session to help keep things loose. This is a significant issue for oxygen users. I wish you all the best in dealing with the difficulties of this disease.

• Charlene Marshall

December 19, 2021 at 11:53 am

Hi @johnbs

Thank you so much for your kind words re: the forum! They are deeply appreciated 🙂
      Thanks for sharing information about the Navage system as well; I can imagine it will be helpful information for those of us who struggle with sinus congestion caused by IPF/oxygen use.
      Take care and happy holidays,
      Char.

• Robert Griffin

December 23, 2021 at 10:25 am

Luke,

I also have an OxyMask and Love It and recommend it.

I am on a constant flow of 6L /24 hrs. My canula was making my nose crusty and sometimes it bled.  I keep my nose hairs trimmed short to keep the crust at a minimum, which helps. I read a recommendation  in the forum to use some olive oil and it worked fairly well but I still had the crust build up overnight. I started to look for alternatives to the canula and came across the OxyMask and bought the largest one, me being about 6 ft tall, and not knowing the size that fit my face,  I used it for about a week and noticed no crusty build up and my nose was healing. I also had to adjust it’s positioning on my face often. I noticed the package showed different sizes so I ordered the regular fit through Amazon (about $20 US) and it works great so far. I still use my canula when I am eating. I hope this helps.

Robert Griffin

• Luke R Matthews

February 1, 2022 at 2:24 pm

Robert, my DME company gave me  a bottle which is filled with distilled water that straps on top of the concentrator and the O2 goes into that and then the tube to the mask comes out of the side of the bottle.  I am glad you found the Oxymask beneficial to you.

• Willie X Shapiri

December 23, 2021 at 6:32 pm

I find using the netti pot is very helpful

• Marti

December 17, 2023 at 4:22 pm

Yay for Neti Pots!

• Christine McCann

January 31, 2022 at 4:10 pm

Every morning when I awake my nose is dry an stuffed up, what works for me is to take a tissue and put it with one finger on one side of my nostril and one finger on the other and massage it around for a few seconds , it loosens all the dryness and then I blow my nose , I can breathe OK after than. I hope that makes sense to everyone. Works for me.

• Karen Martin

February 1, 2022 at 10:33 am

Sounds simple enough.  Thanks for the idea.  I will be trying it as I also have a problem with this.

• Christine McCann

January 31, 2022 at 4:12 pm

How can I tell which canula is high volume?

• Karen Martin

February 1, 2022 at 10:34 am

It has been my experience that the high-flow is linked to darker green tubing.  Anyone else fine this to be the case?

• Glenn Metcalf

December 19, 2023 at 2:23 pm

Correct, Dark Green Tubing is for High Flow (6+)

• Ben Robinson

February 1, 2022 at 2:38 pm

I also tape one 11 Hour small hand warmer to the mask and the heated air helps a whole lot  I have been using rebreather masks from vitality medical and changing every week. I will check out the above machine

• Brenda

February 2, 2022 at 1:46 am

I hope my oxygen usage doesn’t go as high as many of yours. I’m only at 2 at night and 3 when I’m up and about. My nasal passage seems dry all the time. Then it hurts. Then I start feeling the cannula in my nose and then I feel like I could crawl out of my skin. I have a couple questions for you all. Why aren’t we supposed to use Vaseline in our nose?  How do I figure out how much space between the cannula nose prongs is correct?  Mine keeps falling out. I tighten it but the tightening slide has been loose on my last 2 leaving me to constantly push it tight.  After all the good hints I’m going to look for a mask to buy! I use Ayr saline nasal gel. I’m going to try a couple new ones from the notes I took from here. Thanks.

• Earl Robinson

February 3, 2022 at 3:20 pm

Like many of you, I’m using between 6 and 10L of O2 and I have been using Vaseline in my nose for 6 months or so and it is the only product I have found to help me. I apply it in each nostril a couple of times a week and it helps keep the crusty build up soft so it can be removed easier, and it keeps my nose from getting sore. I’m not sure why it is frowned on other than it is a petroleum product. The flash point of Vaseline is 400F so if you keep that kind of potential heat away from your face I doubt you would have a problem. I hope you all find a solution. This is a great place to connect and be able to assist each other with this challenge we face. Keep the faith and press on. Keep a positive attitude for this will pass when we believers pass on to glory.

• Robert Griffin

February 4, 2022 at 8:59 pm

Karen,

My hiflow O2 tubing is green also.  If you have a bit of both types of tubing you can see that the green tubing is sightly larger in diameter if you put the high and low flow tubes next to each other.  Also my O2 delivery company confirmed that their green tubing is high flow.

• Mike McCutcheon

February 8, 2022 at 10:19 pm

I have had great results from AYR gel a OTC available at most drug stores

• Glenn Metcalf

December 19, 2023 at 2:21 pm

This is a common issue. I found a simple and inexpensive solution to problem. Put some Vitamin E on your index finger and then rub the Vitamin E around the inside of your nose. The pain will go away quickly and your nasal passages with smooth out . You can get a small bottle of Vitamin E at Walgreen’s

Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2