Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Help for High Oxygen User Nasal Pain

• Help for High Oxygen User Nasal Pain

Posted by iris-rivera on March 16, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Hi everyone, my Dad is on a high flow of oxygen (9 to 10 liters) and is experiencing severe nasal crust that makes it hard to breathe. Any advice on what can help with this? We’ve asked his doctors and nurses, but the traditional treatments aren’t working well. He uses water reservior on his oxygenator, nasal sprays nasal gels, Vicks steamer and cold steam humidifier. The only relief comes from warm water rinses that takes him up to 1 hour at night, but expends a lot of energy and drops his oxygen levels very low.  Thanks in advance for any ideas,  all ideas welcome. Regards, Iris

glenn-metcalf replied 3 months ago 34 Members · 62 Replies
  • 62 Replies
  • robert-morgan

March 18, 2021 at 3:07 pm

I have similar problems. I use Arm and Hammer Simple Saline mist several times a day. Nasal rinses in the morning or as needed. Mist and saline gel at night. The gel stays in my nostrils as I sleep. I also have used saline mist gel but not convinced how much it helps. At night I have a high-end AirOSwiss humidifier to keep the bedroom air moist. Despite all this I have persistent nasal blockages that can be difficult to clear. I have tried decongestants like Flonase and Sudafed but they made the congestion worse. I am seeing an EMT doctor in a week and hope he will have solutions.

The pain may be from the saline or the high oxygen or both. I did not have the nasal congestion at lower flow so I did not need to use saline.

• darlene-cochran

December 23, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Hi,  I have found the saline spray from Arm and Hammer is most helpful with the dryness from the oxygen for my nasal passages.  Easy to use, comes in a pack of three.  Not expensive and really has helped me.  Might be worth a try.  God Bless you and your Dad as you trek on this path, it is rocky for sure, but good stuff happens too! Regards, Darlene

• iris-rivera

March 18, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Hi Robert,

Thank you,  I’ll share these tips with my Dad. I found a product that I thought would work but the manufacturer would not confirm with me that it wasn’t flammable and would be safe to use with oxygen. Product is an unprotoleum, but my Dad is hesitant to use it because we don’t know if it’s safe.

I truly appreciate you and this group.

Regards,

Iris

• eleanor-heppleston

March 18, 2021 at 5:04 pm

My husband was having the same problem. His O2 is only at 5l with humidification but he had crusting that was painful. The pharmacist recommended Secaris. It’s a lubricating nasal gel suitable for use with oxygen according to him.  No petroleum listed as an ingredient. My husband says it helped.

• christie

March 18, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Hi Iris, I have never used a cannula myself but have found Aquaphor to be a great protectant against dry crusty nose when I visit my arid hometown coming from the humid tropics where I now live. I’m not sure what doctors’ thoughts would be on using a thick ointment like that paired with a cannula but it might be worth asking. In my opinion, it works much better than Vasoline or Mentholatum because it is thicker.. doesn’t just liquefy and run out. Also, I’m not sure what type of nasal rinses he is doing, but a Neti pot is a great solution for post-nasal drip, allergies, sinus infections, etc. It might be helpful and it only takes 5 minutes or so. Heat up distilled water in the microwave, put it in the pot with some medical-grade salt and tada!

• marymj

February 1, 2022 at 10:16 am

My husband said the scaris gel helps him but not enough.  I will tell him to try some of your helpful finds. Thanks

• phyllis-della-latta

February 8, 2022 at 6:21 pm

Please note that vasoline should not be used in the nose because it is a petroleum gel product. Seek gel that are petroleum free. Be well.

• iris-rivera

March 18, 2021 at 10:32 pm

Thank you Eleanor Heppleston, I’m going to try to order <span style=”color: #303030; font-family: ‘open sans’; font-size: 13px;”>Secaris, it looks like it’s only available in Canada,  but I’m going to try to order it online. </span>

Regards,

Iris

• iris-rivera

March 18, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Thanks Christie, I can reply to your post now.  Again,  I appreciate all of your insights.

Regards,

Iris

• mary-millwood

June 30, 2021 at 6:14 pm

I use an over-the-counter Saline Nasal Gel
    called Ayr. This relieves discomfort from
    dry nasal passages caused by oxygen use.

• patricia-meadows

July 1, 2021 at 11:13 am

I would have replied sooner but just now saw your post. When I was first diagnosed with PF my nostrils were over half full of dry scabs which only added to the stress of finding it hard to breathe. My doctor sent me to a wound clinic where the nurse said (off the record) that I could pick off the scabs, then smear Vaseline in my nostrils. Within two weeks the scabs were gone, and for the last eight years I’ve been smearing a little Vaseline in each nostril before bed.

HOWEVER, I realize Vaseline CANNOT be used when a person is on oxygen. As Iris mentioned, Secaris is a water-based lubricant/moisturizer. It’s quite expensive if you’re going to use a lot, so a much cheaper alternative (and essentially the same product, also water-based) is KY Jelly. Yes, the “intimate” lubricant. Just make sure you don’t buy a tube of the “tingling” or any other variety. Make sure you buy the plain one with absolutely no perfumes or other “enhancements”. I found KY Naturals Extra Moisture 100% Natural (did they mention that it’s natural??) priced at $16.99 CDN for 100mL (about 3.5 ounces). Compare that to 30g (about 1 ounce) of Secaris for $8.99 CDN.

I really feel for people with the crusty nostrils and hope that those on oxygen and not can benefit from my experience. It’s sort of gross to start picking away, but I’m so happy that I don’t have that to deal with any more.

Good luck!

• sam-gilmore

July 7, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Thank you I have found that a product called Neospoin.. it works greatly a few days in nose couple times s day works thank you

• christie

July 8, 2021 at 1:34 am

@samgilmore I believe Neosporin is also petroleum-based.. best to check with your doctor about using it with oxygen. Patricia makes some good suggestions about water-based lubricants that could be a good substitute for you.

• steve-dragoo

July 1, 2021 at 7:56 pm

@irisr

Hi Iris,

Sometimes when my nose is sore I will use a small face mask instead of a cannula.  Usually solves itself in a day.

Steve

• chris-soper

July 7, 2021 at 1:39 am

Agree with Steve, at those levels you’ll probably find a small face mask is better for you.

• luke-r-matthews

July 8, 2021 at 2:34 pm

If anyone dislikes their cannula as much as me, then I want to share my discovery for a replacement. A Canadian company makes an open air mask called Oxymask. It works with a delivery 1-15 liters. You can go to YouTube and search oxymask to see a short video. Or search Southmedic.com. My DME company gave this to me when I told them how must I disliked the cannula. I don’t know how long this product has been out, my guess is a while, but it is a game changer for me

I posted this on another thread a few weeks back. Hope this helps.

• spkc1

July 8, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Respiratory Therapist prescribed a machine called myAirvo 2 for my mom. Made by Fisher & Paykel. It connects to O2 concentrator and heats and adds moisture to air coming from O2 Concentrator. AMAZING!!!

• deb-nichols

February 1, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Shannon….do you have the AIRVO 2 machine? My husband has been hospitalized & just came home. The AIRVO kept him off a ventilator, but we were told he could not be on the AIRVO at home!

• karen-martin

July 8, 2021 at 3:45 pm

I love Aquaphor, but the main ingredient in it is petrolatum, which is “a byproduct of petroleum refining”  Good for lots of things but maybe not here?

• shafi

July 8, 2021 at 6:59 pm

I tried all I found olive oil. I apply with qtip in my nasal cavity
    I help me lot.without side effects.I Take 8 liter of oxygen. My nose was Bleeding. I found this solution. I anyone think my solution is better please let me know.

• christie

July 9, 2021 at 7:24 pm

@shafi What a brilliant, simple, and accessible solution! I wonder if other common oils, like coconut would provide similar relief.

• shafi

July 9, 2021 at 8:27 pm

I haven’t tried but when I use I will let you know and other

• sam-gilmore

July 9, 2021 at 9:55 pm

That sound good l have found Silver Shield gell works great it softens stuff in nose makes it easy to remove

• karen-martin

July 10, 2021 at 8:47 am

This question is a little different, but since you all are high oxygen users I am hoping you will have some answers for me.  I can use less oxygen when I am sitting quietly, but I need 10L when I am up and about.  I have my home concentrator in a central part of the house, not right next to me because of the noise and heat it puts out.  I don’t turn it down when I sit down to relax because I then often forget to turn it back up when I am up and about.  My question is, do you think this is a problem?  Am I making myself more dependent on higher rates of oxygen by doing this?  Any suggestions?

• earl-robinson

December 7, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Karen, I talked briefly to my pulmonary therapist, and she said it all depends on your own condition, and since there are a number of issues that we each have our own treatment.  In my condition she said “you don’t have to worry about being overly oxygenated”  but that doesn’t mean your condition would have the same answer.  You will have to talk to your doctor about your condition.      I have had another idea that I bounced off my doctor and that is we O2 users that need to adjust the O2 flow need a Blue Tooth app. so we can remotely adjust the concentrator to different levels of O2 output.  If my O2 Concentrator is on 6L and I want to move around I need to change it to 10L my O2 level drops and then I have to wait until I get back into the 90’s and after I’m ready to sit for a while I have to go and turn back the concentrator to 6L and by the time I get back to my chair my O2 level has tanked again and I have to wait to recover.  Do any of the rest of you have this problem?

• karen-martin

December 8, 2021 at 10:17 am

Earl, thanks for the reply.  I will look into the idea of a bluetooth app for that.  Who would have thought of it?  Well, not me, evidently!

• Marti

December 17, 2023 at 4:14 pm

Hi Karen,

I’ve had these same concerns. There is a book that talks about a lot of issues surrounding Pulmonary Fibrosis. I have the Kindle addition as well as the Paper back: Pulmonary Fibrosis JOURNEY by Kim Fredrickson. I have the same issue of forgetting to turn down when sitting, or turning it up when moving around. The book covers all kinds of things and mostly how to be patient and kind to yourself. Well being is your biggest asset with this difficult challenge. I find my blood oxygen drops very quickly when I start walking around. It takes a bit to recover from exercise. I haven’t found what works for me to keep on walking at any pace right now so I am still working on that. It can be looked at as a problem but I believe it is a normal process of adjustment. There are so many things that take up your time but it is OK because it is all YOUR TIME and please be kind to yourself.

• dave-walker

November 24, 2021 at 9:17 am

My dad has same issue and has tried absolutely everything he can get hold of, recently using coconut oil which seems to ease the crustiness, still hoping to find something to stop the never ending plug that forms disrupting his sleep to the point of sometimes zero sleep.

• anne-rhodes

February 1, 2022 at 5:59 pm

I find Klear nasal spray to be very helpful in keeping the nasal passages clear and blowing out those plugs.

• shafi

November 24, 2021 at 1:44 pm

I have same issue with coconut oil use saline spray that will easy stuffy nose

• john-oman

November 25, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Does your dad use a cannula or wear a mask like device over the nose? If a cannula, I’d suggest trying a mask. I can imagine that having that much oxygen jetted directly into the nose could cause excessive and unnecessary nasal tissue irritation.

• shafi

November 25, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Does oxygen company provide

• steve-dragoo

November 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm

@irisr,

Hi Iris,

Does your father use/need a CPAP? If so hooking O2 through it may help, if it can handle his high O2 needs. Also, suggest going to a face mask for O2. I switch to that once in a while and that solves the problem temporarily anyway.

Stay well…

Steve

• john-styles

November 27, 2021 at 8:05 am

My ear nose and throat doctor said to use the nasal spray with aloe, I have and it has eliminated my nose bleeds due to oxygen use.

• john-styles

November 27, 2021 at 8:05 am

My ear nose and throat doctor said to use the nasal spray with aloe, I have and it has eliminated my nose bleeds due to oxygen use.

• Marti

December 17, 2023 at 4:15 pm

Interesting! Good idea.

Page 1 of 2