Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Iris Rivera
      Participant

Hi everyone, my Dad is on a high flow of oxygen (9 to 10 liters) and is experiencing severe nasal crust that makes it hard to breathe. Any advice on what can help with this? We’ve asked his doctors and nurses, but the traditional treatments aren’t working well. He uses water reservior on his oxygenator, nasal sprays nasal gels, Vicks steamer and cold steam humidifier. The only relief comes from warm water rinses that takes him up to 1 hour at night, but expends a lot of energy and drops his oxygen levels very low.  Thanks in advance for any ideas,  all ideas welcome. Regards, Iris

Robert Morgan
      Participant

I have similar problems. I use Arm and Hammer Simple Saline mist several times a day. Nasal rinses in the morning or as needed. Mist and saline gel at night. The gel stays in my nostrils as I sleep. I also have used saline mist gel but not convinced how much it helps. At night I have a high-end AirOSwiss humidifier to keep the bedroom air moist. Despite all this I have persistent nasal blockages that can be difficult to clear. I have tried decongestants like Flonase and Sudafed but they made the congestion worse. I am seeing an EMT doctor in a week and hope he will have solutions.

The pain may be from the saline or the high oxygen or both. I did not have the nasal congestion at lower flow so I did not need to use saline.

Iris Rivera
      Participant

Hi Robert,

Thank you,  I’ll share these tips with my Dad. I found a product that I thought would work but the manufacturer would not confirm with me that it wasn’t flammable and would be safe to use with oxygen. Product is an unprotoleum, but my Dad is hesitant to use it because we don’t know if it’s safe.

I truly appreciate you and this group.

Regards,

Iris

Eleanor Heppleston
      Participant

My husband was having the same problem. His O2 is only at 5l with humidification but he had crusting that was painful. The pharmacist recommended Secaris. It’s a lubricating nasal gel suitable for use with oxygen according to him.  No petroleum listed as an ingredient. My husband says it helped.

Christie
      Participant

Hi Iris, I have never used a cannula myself but have found Aquaphor to be a great protectant against dry crusty nose when I visit my arid hometown coming from the humid tropics where I now live. I’m not sure what doctors’ thoughts would be on using a thick ointment like that paired with a cannula but it might be worth asking. In my opinion, it works much better than Vasoline or Mentholatum because it is thicker.. doesn’t just liquefy and run out. Also, I’m not sure what type of nasal rinses he is doing, but a Neti pot is a great solution for post-nasal drip, allergies, sinus infections, etc. It might be helpful and it only takes 5 minutes or so. Heat up distilled water in the microwave, put it in the pot with some medical-grade salt and tada!

Iris Rivera
      Participant

Thank you Eleanor Heppleston, I’m going to try to order <span style=”color: #303030; font-family: ‘open sans’; font-size: 13px;”>Secaris, it looks like it’s only available in Canada,  but I’m going to try to order it online. </span>

Regards,

Iris

Iris Rivera
      Participant

Thanks Christie, I can reply to your post now.  Again,  I appreciate all of your insights.

Regards,

Iris

Mary Millwood
      Participant

I use an over-the-counter Saline Nasal Gel
      called Ayr. This relieves discomfort from
      dry nasal passages caused by oxygen use.

Patricia Meadows
      Participant

I would have replied sooner but just now saw your post. When I was first diagnosed with PF my nostrils were over half full of dry scabs which only added to the stress of finding it hard to breathe. My doctor sent me to a wound clinic where the nurse said (off the record) that I could pick off the scabs, then smear Vaseline in my nostrils. Within two weeks the scabs were gone, and for the last eight years I’ve been smearing a little Vaseline in each nostril before bed.

HOWEVER, I realize Vaseline CANNOT be used when a person is on oxygen. As Iris mentioned, Secaris is a water-based lubricant/moisturizer. It’s quite expensive if you’re going to use a lot, so a much cheaper alternative (and essentially the same product, also water-based) is KY Jelly. Yes, the “intimate” lubricant. Just make sure you don’t buy a tube of the “tingling” or any other variety. Make sure you buy the plain one with absolutely no perfumes or other “enhancements”. I found KY Naturals Extra Moisture 100% Natural (did they mention that it’s natural??) priced at $16.99 CDN for 100mL (about 3.5 ounces). Compare that to 30g (about 1 ounce) of Secaris for $8.99 CDN.

I really feel for people with the crusty nostrils and hope that those on oxygen and not can benefit from my experience. It’s sort of gross to start picking away, but I’m so happy that I don’t have that to deal with any more.

Good luck!

Sam Gilmore
        Participant

Thank you I have found that a product called Neospoin.. it works greatly a few days in nose couple times s day works thank you

Christie
          Participant

@samgilmore I believe Neosporin is also petroleum-based.. best to check with your doctor about using it with oxygen. Patricia makes some good suggestions about water-based lubricants that could be a good substitute for you.

Steve Dragoo
      Participant

@irisr

Hi Iris,

Sometimes when my nose is sore I will use a small face mask instead of a cannula.  Usually solves itself in a day.

Steve

Chris Soper
      Participant

Agree with Steve, at those levels you’ll probably find a small face mask is better for you.

Luke R Matthews
      Participant

If anyone dislikes their cannula as much as me, then I want to share my discovery for a replacement. A Canadian company makes an open air mask called Oxymask. It works with a delivery 1-15 liters. You can go to YouTube and search oxymask to see a short video. Or search Southmedic.com. My DME company gave this to me when I told them how must I disliked the cannula. I don’t know how long this product has been out, my guess is a while, but it is a game changer for me

I posted this on another thread a few weeks back. Hope this helps.

Shannon
      Participant

Respiratory Therapist prescribed a machine called myAirvo 2 for my mom. Made by Fisher & Paykel. It connects to O2 concentrator and heats and adds moisture to air coming from O2 Concentrator. AMAZING!!!

Karen Martin
      Participant

I love Aquaphor, but the main ingredient in it is petrolatum, which is “a byproduct of petroleum refining”  Good for lots of things but maybe not here?

Shafi
      Participant

I tried all I found olive oil. I apply with qtip in my nasal cavity
      I help me lot.without side effects.I Take 8 liter of oxygen. My nose was Bleeding. I found this solution. I anyone think my solution is better please let me know.

Christie
        Participant

@shafi What a brilliant, simple, and accessible solution! I wonder if other common oils, like coconut would provide similar relief.

Shafi
      Participant

I haven’t tried but when I use I will let you know and other

Sam Gilmore
      Participant

That sound good l have found Silver Shield gell works great it softens stuff in nose makes it easy to remove

Karen Martin
      Participant

This question is a little different, but since you all are high oxygen users I am hoping you will have some answers for me.  I can use less oxygen when I am sitting quietly, but I need 10L when I am up and about.  I have my home concentrator in a central part of the house, not right next to me because of the noise and heat it puts out.  I don’t turn it down when I sit down to relax because I then often forget to turn it back up when I am up and about.  My question is, do you think this is a problem?  Am I making myself more dependent on higher rates of oxygen by doing this?  Any suggestions?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account