• cynthia-comery-ferguson

May 24, 2019 at 4:04 pm

I was diagnosed with gerd about a year ago, but only took Zantac when needed — after fried or spicy foods or an unusually large and/or late dinner. There does seem to be some connection between gerd and PF/IPF but I’m not sure what it is.

And, yes, I started noticing I was clearing my throat a lot long before my PF diagnosis.

May 24, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Linda, I believe you and I are in a similar state of initial anger, confusion, anxiety, etc. about this disease– and what lies ahead. I see that you were just diagnosed last month. I was diagnosed last week. I’m a little older than you — 71 — but I’ve been very active and still work part-time.  Finding this site and these forums has been a big source of comfort and information for me. Thank you, Charlene and Mark, for the time you put into supporting it.

• Charlene Marshall

May 24, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Hi Linda,

Great question – the presence of folks living with an ILD and GERD/acid reflux has been a very popular one in our forums. It isn’t something I’ve personally dealt with, but I know a lot of people have. You can check out the thread discussing this here: https://pulmonaryfibrosisnews.com/forums/forums/topic/natural-relief-for-mucous-in-the-lungs/ … I started talking about natural relief of mucus but the conversation shifted (which is okay :)) to acid reflux. Not sure if this helps? You can search a key word or topic in the top right-hand side of the forums in the search bar to see conversations that might be applicable to you. There sure is lots of information on this site, impossible to sift through it all.

Hope you’re doing alright.

Kind regards,
    Charlene.

Natural Relief for Mucus in the Lungs?

• linda-waldschmidt

May 24, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Cynthia ( @cynthia-comery-ferguson ) , Are you going to consider a lung transplant? I know this is so new to you like it is to me. How are you dealing with it ? I am not dealing that well with it.It is good to find someone that is new to this like I am.

May 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Hi Linda. Yes, I suppose if I’m eligible for a lung transplant I’ll consider it at some point. I’m eager now for my doctors (a pulmonologist and a rheumatologist) to identify a cause and start some treatment. I know that takes time, and sometimes a cause is never learned, but I’ll feel better once we start treating this. I also think I might need to start some oxygen fairly soon. I’d like to start an exercise program but I think my oxygen levels get low pretty quickly. Because they suspect autoimmune issues in my disease I put myself on an autoimmune diet–mostly to feel like I was doing something, but I have to say it seems to be making me feel better physically. I don’t feel so dizzy for one thing. Like you I’ve beat myself up about all the environmental toxins I’ve exposed myself to over the years, including asbestos in every house I ever lived in, but so has most everyone else my age and this is a relatively rare disease. Right now I’m accepting that I won’t live to old age, but I really want to do everything I can to keep the quality of my life as high as possible for the years I do have.