Tagged: ,

• OFEV and Surgery

Posted by don-moffett on June 25, 2022 at 11:20 am

I am scheduled to have Hernia surgery in two weeks.  I take OFEV twice a day, should I skip the night before?

Obviously I will skip the morning before surgery because I will not be able to eat,

Kevin collier replied 6 months, 4 weeks ago 11 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • christie

June 27, 2022 at 6:14 pm

Hi Don, This is definitely something your pulmonologist and your surgeon should advise you on. They should consult with each other and let you know.

• tony-hernandez

March 28, 2023 at 1:13 pm

Commenting on Surgery and Ofev:   I was in pain with arthritis of the Hip.  Got a couple of shots with a couple of days of relief, but not the months I expected.  I saw a surgeon and the resultant Xrays indicated the need for a Hip Joint replacement.  But the anti-scarring benefits of Ofev were contradictory to the healing I would require following the surgery.  It seems the hip needs scarring to fuse the bone around the Titanium rod that is normally inserted into the joint.

My VA doctors advised against refraining from the use of the Rx.  The surgeon insisted on one month of discontinued use before the surgery and for two months after the surgery.  I resigned to live with the pain until another solution came along.  Somehow, in a few short months much of the pain I had endured for nearly a year disappeared.  I no longer drag myself along nor do I depend on the use of a walking cane.  So far, I have been mobile during the past six months.

• derek-starkiss

June 29, 2022 at 12:00 am

Hi Don

I’ve had 3 orthopaedic ops plus a stroke whilst taking OFEV and skipping a couple of days of OFEV should not hurt you,  in my experience. Checking with you doctor will give you peace of mind. Hope you op goes well.

• martin-denny

June 29, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Just recovering from spinal surgery and was instructed to drop all medications before the operation except for Ovid.
    Martin

• gary-m

July 1, 2022 at 7:32 am

I second Christie and Derek – this needs to be discussed with your docs. My wife is having aorta repair surgery in 1 week. Her docs are having her stop many meds, including OFEV, which she stopped taking three days ago.

Hope your surgery goes well!

• tony-hernandez

April 8, 2023 at 4:14 pm

Gary, I hope your wife’s surgery went ok.  I, too, have a possible aorta valve surgery pending later this year.  I am still being evaluated for that procedure by the Veterans Affairs here in PR.   My surgery would possibly be a catherer insert (groin).  The heart murmur in my case was diagnosed decades ago.

I am on OFEV and I don’t know how long I may have to refrain using it prior to the surgical procedure.  One thing at a time, I say.

• graham-browne

August 19, 2023 at 10:13 am

Hello, Martin. I have a herniated lumbar disc (L4 /L5) for which microdiscectomy surgery has been recommended. I am worried about having a general anaesthetic as I have newly diagnosed IPF. Did your operation go without any deterioration in lung function?

• bill-mattila

July 1, 2022 at 2:51 pm

OFEV does cause bleeding ,so I stopped a number of times for procedures and too many side effects. Don’t fear a short stoppage.

Also see Doctor and and ask him or her.

• markmaron

March 28, 2023 at 3:25 pm

Im having a colonoscopy and i stopped 5 days ago, For sure stop BUT then again none of us are your pulmonologist or surgeon and I would not take advice from here, just what others have done but each case is different, Good luck

• carmen-quintas

March 28, 2023 at 6:41 pm

Ask the surgeon and your pulmonologist

Wishing you good luck with your surgery

• Kevin collier

August 22, 2023 at 9:01 pm

I recently had an arterial bypass in my right leg, I cut out the morning dose.