Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Painful hand and leg cramps

• Painful hand and leg cramps

Posted by Sharon MacMillan on June 29, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Since diagnosed with IPF in 2017, I have experienced increased body cramps throughout day or night. Anyone else experienced these? I’ve tried hydration, magnesium is normal. Would love to get relief. My IPF is mild-moderate.

Tony replied 1 year, 2 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Bonnie Thompson

June 30, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Sharon,
    I was diagnosed with PF a year ago although I had previous CT scans indicating scarring in my lungs.  I have muscle cramps in my feet and legs, and occasionally in my hands usually when lying down.  I, too am careful to stay hydrated.  I am on Ofev with no side effects and vitamins B12 and D3 also Zink. I would love to know what might help the cramps!

PS I do eat my bananas. ????

• Karen Martin

July 2, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Ladies, I also have leg, foot, hand as well as rib cramps.  I have found that drinking 6 ounces of tonic water will help.  I also take potassium in addition to the magnesium, which also seems to help.  Staying hydrated is very important.  The most helpful item I have found is a little pill called Restful Legs.  I get it at Walmart.  You place two or more under your tongue when the cramps start and they will stop almost instantly!!  Not to be a commercial for a product, but this is the best help I have found.  It is OTC.  Maybe give it a try or check with your doctor.  Best of luck to you!

• Jerry Genesio

July 5, 2022 at 3:39 pm

Sharon: I, too, have very painful cramps in my legs and feet, usually at night. They wake me up and force me to my feet for relief. Rubbing and standing on the cramped leg or foot helps a lot.

I hadn’t considered restless legs medication as a possible answer as Karen suggests, but for me, it definitely is not. I take 1.5 mg of Ropinirole by prescription every morning for restless legs and it hasn’t prevented the cramps. Please let us know if you find some way to prevent these very painful events. I wish you all the best and hope you can find relief.

• Sharon MacMillan

July 5, 2022 at 3:57 pm

So thankful for this discussion where people can share their experiences.

• Karen Martin

July 8, 2022 at 1:04 pm

Jerry, I’m wondering if taking your restless legs meds at night might be more effective.  Perhaps their greatest efficacy has worn off by bedtime.  Just a thought.

• Rod Danner

July 7, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I have found that the absolute best thing for quickly dealing with cramps is a magnesium foam called “Theraworx” it is available at pharmacies and some sporting goods stores. Just spray some on and rub it in. It helps provide almost immediate relief. Also, hydration and magnesium supplements may help some too, the hydration for sure.

• Tony

January 28, 2023 at 1:56 pm

Thank you for the comments above.

I have only just noticed this topic on the Forums. I have noticed more problems with cramping calf muscles, particularly in the morning when I first wake and stretch out before getting up. For these cramps, I get up smartly and stand and drink some water. The cramps instantly vanish. Now the comments from others make me wonder about Ofef being a cause of this.

I do drink plenty of water, tea but minimum of one cup of coffee a day. Magnesium capsule in the evening. I am also on a Simverstatin tablet at night also. These are known to reduce muscle strength and I have noticed this too, but being getting in my 80th year will also be a factor in loss of muscle strength and perhaps cramps also.

• Bill Ogara

July 17, 2023 at 9:00 am

Folks, I recently was diagnosed with IPF and see my doctor next week to see were I stand.  I get leg cramps in the middle of the night. I thought it was from the Trellegy. Is this a common symptom of IPF?