• Tammy

June 3, 2021 at 4:59 pm

I am in the US and to be honest I do not know which % or numbers are the most important on a PFT. My pulmonologist never explained my 2nd PFT test. The only part I seen marked A for abnormal was the RV/TLC amd mine was a 26 and predicted 35. How I understand it is that I don’t have enough left over air volume????? I don’t know. My pulmonologist said the test itself was great. I can post the rest of the results soon. Can somene help explain all this to me? What numbers are the most important for diagnosis and what do they mean???

• Charlene Marshall

June 6, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Hi Tammy,

Thanks so much for writing and really good questions regarding PFTs. They can be really hard to decipher, and take a lot of time to learn/understand. Here is a really good website to help you better understand what PFT values mean and be able to interpret your own results: Pulmonary Function Tests | John Hopkins Medicine. 

Of course, it is always important to ask your doctor any specific questions you have about your results, as some values may be more important to monitor than others, such as DLCO if you’re at risk of hypertension or cardiac issues, for example.

I hope this helps!
    Charlene.

• Kathleen Ryan

January 13, 2023 at 8:30 am

I just found this post, and its relevant to me. My DLCO scores were severe at 38 for the past two years, and went to 43 with my most recent pft. ( I was diagnosed in 2020) I’ve tried to find answers, and I found this article . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4419325/. I have an appointment in a couple weeks, and this is one of my top questions.

• Randy

April 9, 2023 at 11:55 am

Goodmorning everyone and Happy Easter. Been setting here reading all the postings about the DLCO scores and thought I might add my 2 cents. The last test I had was 06/21/2022. I was suppose to have had one again in Dec. of 2022, but had some heart problems so didn’t have one. However my results from the 06/2021 where not very good.  My DLCO was 22%. The FVC-35%, the FEV-40%, FLC-43%. None of them were they  are suppose to be. My breathing has been getting worse and I am hoping to take my final trip in May to visit my old home were I grew up. It all  depends on my scores this time however as to if my Doc. will let me go.

Some of you have said you had been able to bounce back and get a higher number. I am hoping your luck rubs off on me.

Again, have a great Easter and have fun with the grandkids.

• John K. Grubb

April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am

Without addressing the specific issue raised here, but addressing pulmonary rehab I strongly recommend anyone diagnosed with any type of breathing problem do an in service breathing or pulmonary rehab program.  I was diagnosed with IPF in March of 2022 and started a rehab program in April; while I finished the program I signed up and am repeating it.  What I have observed is that many of the people who start the course are in pretty bad physical shape.  The rehab program works not only the lungs and breathing but the whole body.  I seen people who started the course when they were in a wheel chair, or a walker, or were winded just walking in to the place change in about 6 to 8 weeks.  They start coming in on unassisted.  Initially they barely make eye contact and really don’t even want to say hello.  Once they get on the program their whole attitude change – they come in smiling, looking forward to participating and have a better outlook on life.

Page 3 of 3