Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities Canadians With PF Protecting Your Lungs From Cold Temperatures

Tagged: , ,

• Protecting Your Lungs From Cold Temperatures

Posted by Charlene Marshall on November 26, 2022 at 2:00 pm

Winter in Canada is known for its bitterly cold temperatures and significant snowfall amounts. While this is expected in December through March, it seems unseasonably early to be dealing with so much snow and cold in November. 

Each year I spend time thinking about this and am always curious: how do other IPF patients proactively protect their lungs in the cold weather? 

Here are some of the things I do: 

• Zip up my oxygen tubing under my coat: whenever I am outside for more than a few minutes, I zip up my tubing into my coat which helps keep the cannula warmer and the flow of oxygen a bit more consistent because the plastic doesn’t stiffen in the cold.
    • Cover my nose & mouth: I didn’t think I’d like this option due to being fearful of not being able to breathe, but having a loose scarf over my nose and mouth really seems to prevent breathing in the cold air into my lungs.
    • Have someone start my car: this has been so helpful to me the past two winters! My colleagues all offer to start my car and crank the heat for me when they leave, and I follow shortly after. Having the car warmed up in advance helps me get warmer faster after being outside, and is better for my portable oxygen concentrator (POC) too as it shouldn’t be subjected to really cold temperatures either.

Do you use any of these tips when protecting your lungs from frigid temperatures?

rthorntonbresnan-net replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • john-penn

November 29, 2022 at 2:32 pm

I will use a mask and it helps tremendously. I walk my dog at times when it is in the teens and 20s and having mouth and nose covered really does help.

• chukegee

November 29, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Fortunately i don’t live where there is temperatures like that. But it does get cold. When i get into any type of chilly temps i start coughing a lot. Does anyone have that problem and if so, any antidote for it? Chuck Gerson from Cambria Ca.

• rthorntonbresnan-net

November 29, 2022 at 3:18 pm

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. The cold and being out in it. I really try not to be. It really messes up your lung when the cold hits it. If I have to go out, I have a cloth mask I’ll put on to get thru the cold air. But I have to be quick. With only 1 lung, I have to be real careful. It I should get a cold, it would turn into pneumonia quickly and then I would probably be done. The plastic air line freezes up real quick. It is 30 degrees out right now and I had to run out to the shed to get something. I wasn’t out more then a couple of minutes and it was froze. Fun trying to get thru the door with the line stretched out behind you.

I’m very glad I don’t live anymore in the snow and freezing temp. Don’t think I would survive. Well, that’s 2 cents on the subject. Everyone, have a great day.

• michelle-johnson

December 11, 2022 at 12:41 am

Hello I would like to know if it is important to stay within a specific room temperature for people with pulmonary fibrosis my electric company will give a 16 hours per day at tier one cost if you need to keep your Residence at a specific temperature or if you have health issues and need to operate your medical oxygen machine or any other medical equipment I know when I get to cold I cough and seem to get more chest congestion what do you think please let me know I would like to know any information regarding this topic thanks Michelle

• gloria-m-wheeler

December 13, 2022 at 2:22 pm

Wondering where you live, I might contact my electric folks.  Im finding I am less cold tolerant.  It is hard on the Electric AND Fuel oil bills.

• rthorntonbresnan-net

December 11, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Michelle, it’s very important. You lungs are very fragile now and can easy give way to a bad  cold which can turn into pneumonia. My doc said so cover my noses and mouth when going out in the cold. So I have a cloth mask I use to get to the car or just out to feed my pets that are outside. I only have 1 lung, so it very important for me not to get a cold.

• rthorntonbresnan-net

December 11, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Forgot to add. If out more then 2 minutes, your air line freezes and you have a heck of a problem getting back into the house. It doesn’t want to bend.

• rthorntonbresnan-net

December 13, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Hi Gloria. I live in western Colorado near the Utah line. We don’t get much snow because we are considered desert, but boy does it get cold. This morning was 19 degrees and right now it is 29. I was out for a couple minutes this morning to feed the animals and that’s that.

Take care and keep your lungs covered to protect yourself.