• Respiratory Therapy Programs

Posted by Bill S on February 11, 2022 at 1:09 pm

Hello,

Having read Dr. Noah Greenspan’s book and his enthusiasm for exercise; I am wondering if anyone has come across or is involved in any program with a Pulmonary Respiratory Therapist.

Thanks, Bill S.

Phil Ryan replied 1 year, 11 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Christie Patient

February 14, 2022 at 10:02 pm

Hi Bill, there are lots of posts about pulmonary rehab in the forums. I’m sure more will chime in here, but in the meantime, I suggest using the search bar in the top right of this page to look for other threads on the subject. There’s a ton of information here that might be useful to you 🙂 Most people consider it a resounding success.

• Jim

February 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm

I was diagnosed with IPF almost 5 years ago.

I went through pulmonary rehab, it helped me tremendously.

I exercise at least 1 hr every day, exercise and staying active helps. I have been on oxygen for couple years now. Hope this helps, good luck.

• Bill S

February 17, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Hello all, and thanks for your response.

Yes I have Googled my way around and have found several in New England.  I have found one in Boston and have an appt. in April.  I am trying to contact one here in Rhode Island that seems elusive for some reason.  I’ll keep trying.  I am disappointed that my pulmonologist had no guidance or direction.   Bill S

• Darleen Kenia

May 23, 2022 at 2:31 pm

My brother needed pulmonary rehabilitation because he had been seriously ill with covid and his lung function was severely impaired. He tried several methods of rehabilitation and must say that not all of them helped him. Some of them only improved his state for a short time. Those who had experienced covid know what I mean. It always takes time to recover. Among the things that helped, I can say about https://www.cameronmch.com/services/respiratory-therapy/. Of course this`s an individual matter for everyone after consulting a doctor, but I would try all possible options if I were you.

• John K. Grubb

May 24, 2022 at 3:19 pm

Google Breathing Center Rhode Island and you will find the programs.

I have been attending a rehab program two ties a week for a month and all my numbers have improved.

• Phil Ryan

May 24, 2022 at 8:31 pm

I’m 76 and have been diagnosed with IPF and pulmonary hypertension at least two years ago.  I live in San Francisco and have participated in a pulmonary therapy session twice a week for an hour at St Francis hospital.  It was the best thing I could have done at the time.  It was run by two trained pulmonary nurses, although one was pretty much pulled off the program because she was needed in the hospital’s Covid care.  I can only echo Greenspan’s comments.  I always felt 100% better after the therapy.  It involved breathing exercises, aerobics, stretching, some upper body strength training, and most important for me, a treadmill, since I was noting some weakening in my leg muscles.  I highly recommend such a program if one is available in your area.