• Libby

July 27, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Re the Instant-melts Imodium.. I have searched online, at local pharmacies and at Target and they do not seem to be available in my area, or maybe even in the US at all.  I’ve seen British and Canadian websites but even on those sites, customers are lamenting that they cannot find them.  Has anyone found them readily available in the US?

Thank you

Libby Fisher

• Charlene Marshall

July 30, 2020 at 8:46 pm

@travelingnana ,

Hi Libby,

Oh this makes me sad that they aren’t readily available where you are! These are the ones I try to get (sometimes the packaging is a bit different):https://www.imodium.ca/products/imodium-quick-dissolve

I wonder if Amazon has them or if you can order right off the US-site for imodium? I usually get them at my local pharmacy, not somewhere big like Walmart etc. Not sure if this helps any, and so sorry I can’t offer much insight into the US and finding them there as I am in Canada.

Char.

• Libby

July 30, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Thanks Charlene… I feel fortunate that I don’t need Imodium every day… maybe 2 days a week.  The other days I’m managing okay with the peppermint gels, probiotics and also Pepto Bismol tablets.  I have tried Amazon for the instant melts and did not see anything except the regular Imodium.. same thing for drugstores and Target.  The only Google hits I see for the instant melts are Canada and UK online drug options.    We keep plugging along.. my big hope is that they come up with some other drug that does not have the side effects that Ofev has.. that would make me super happy!!

All the best,

Libby

• Charlene Marshall

July 31, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Hi Libby,

I’m also really glad to hear you don’t have to take it every day and other things help you manage the wicked GI side effects associated with Ofev. Can you order off the Canadian Amazon site? If so, the quick dissolve tablets are here:https://www.amazon.ca/Imodium-Quick-Dissolve-Flavor-Tablets/dp/B00EUVAHAS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31XHFEOCT573B&dchild=1&keywords=imodium+quick+dissolve&qid=1596220416&sprefix=imodi%2Caps%2C572&sr=8-1

Take care 🙂
    Char.

• Libby

July 31, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Thanks so much Charlene.  We have never tried ordering from another country’s Amazon site.. but it is nice to have this link in case I do find that I need to go that route in the future.   For now, I feel like the regular Imodium works well.. I do have a day or so each week where I feel like I’m “on the edge” all day… not a pleasant feeling, as I’m sure you know! Usually I am totally fine the next day.

Stay well.. and thank you again.

Libby

• Libby

August 1, 2020 at 6:24 am

Well, here’s the answer re ordering from Amazon.ca — some things may ship to the US but not everything.  We tried ordering the product just to see if it worked and it said “this cannot be shipped to this address”.  It must be provided by a seller in Canada who does not want to incur the costs of shipping to the US.  That’s okay … I’ll make do with my other remedies, but it was worth trying!!

Libby

• Charlene Marshall

August 1, 2020 at 9:21 am

Oh bummer! Sorry to hear that Libby – I wasn’t sure how it worked ordering from a different country and the shipping. I’m glad to hear you aren’t needing it regularly though, and that other things are successful in helping with the side effects of Ofev. I’m glad the oral tablets do work for you too! Stay well and enjoy your weekend 🙂

Char.

• Susan Howitt

August 1, 2020 at 9:33 am

Hi Libby

I get a LOT of that too from UK to France, very few will take the trouble to ship, and the shipping cost from there to here is not horrendous either.

Cordialement   Sue

• Susan Howitt

August 1, 2020 at 9:38 am

@travelingnana

Libby try looking up Imodium Melts in the USA think they might  have them under that name

• Suzy42

August 1, 2020 at 10:06 am

I have been on Ofev for nearly 4 weeks, no side effects for 1st week, 2nd week a bit of nausea only, then last week both hit, sickness and diarrohea. I had immodium to hand and they worked and had anti sickness drug which also worked. It seems to come after breakfast and have noticed that eggs and milk seem to start it off. Im hoping the side effects stay manageable. I have to have blood test next week to see how the liver etc are. Its early days I know but keeping my fingers crossed

• Mark Koziol

August 3, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Hello Suzy, thank you for sharing. I always found eating a banana work help alleviate the side effects of the Ofev. Maybe try a piece of toast with peanut butter on it. I also ate 6 small meals a day and I feel that helped me as well. Take care, I hope side effects get better. Mark

• Libby

August 3, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Suzy — I have found that having milk (even the lactose-free) with the Ofev made my stomach hurt more.  I switched to original Almond Milk and that solved it.  Small amount of cereal with plain yogurt and plenty of fruit including banana- – that’s my go-to breakfast.  I second Mark’s recommendation for peanut butter…For snacks I often have a couple of peanut butter crackers, or I have peanuts and a handful of banana chips.  I’m in the middle of my 4th month of taking Ofev and finding that it hasn’t really gotten easier.  The switch from 100 to 150 was tough and the higher dosage definitely makes me more tired and bothers my stomach more.  Holding out hope that my system gets used to it…

Libby

• Libby

August 3, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Re Imodium Melts

Unfortunately the only products available on Amazon are Imodium caplets or gel tabs…both of which must be swallowed.  There is no Imodium product that is a sublingual melt, except those advertised by British or Canadian drug order companies.  I am suspicious that it has something to do with the recent more strict controls on packaging of Imodium — I knew nothing about it but after finding a bottle of 200 caplets for a very cheap price on Amazon, I noticed a review by a physician which mentioned that it is getting hard to find caplets that are not all foil-packaged to prevent teens from using the drug for some sort of high.  So I think that is why the instant melts have been discontinued here.

Libby

• Charlene Marshall

August 4, 2020 at 8:52 am

Wow @travelingnana ,

Sorry to hear this Libby — a bummer you can’t get these in the US due to others’ behaviours and them being discontinued. How frustrating! I’m glad you still have other options that help you though, by the sounds of it. Keeping my fingers crossed the side effects remain tolerable.

Sincerely,

Char.

Page 3 of 3