Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge SSDI claims – Has anybody tried/been successful?

• SSDI claims – Has anybody tried/been successful?

Posted by Jan OBrien on July 18, 2023 at 9:11 am

Good morning,

My husband was diagnosed in March 2023 and after the initial shock, we dug in to see what we could do to improve his situation.  We have looked into clinical trials, nutritional supplements, alt treatments besides OFEV and Esbriet – I’m a research nerd – and these forums have been most helpful.  Thank you all for your advice and support.

Yesterday I was reading about applying for SSDI. The IPF/PF is considered a qualifying condition and I’m going to start the process. The paperwork required is daunting. They want several different kinds of test results and it is strongly suggested that an experienced lawyer be engaged.

Have any of you applied or been through the process? Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan OBrien/Lee Burns

Christine McCann replied 9 months, 1 week ago 14 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Raymond Petit

July 18, 2023 at 2:24 pm

I was diagnose about 12 years ago due my phewmonia in the hospital after several doctors i was put on a spray for my lungs at that time I was diagnose with COPD after a few years went by with no improvement my GP suggest that I make an appointment with a Pulmany Dr. went to see him about 6 years ago started me on Esbriet bad reactions changed to Ofathing test stayed with this medication for two years started to have bad reaction my doctor took me off all medication for pulmany Fibrosis this will be my fifth year with no medication only thing I take is Zinc daily 50 MG I believe this has stoped the growing of the fibrosis since I went to Zinc for about 5 years no growth in the fibrosis I pass all my breathing test my Oxygen level runs between 94 up to 98 never used Oxygen I’m turning 86 in September can’t complain
    Ray

• Sam123

July 18, 2023 at 4:16 pm

Hi Ray, Good to know that your fibrosis progression stopped, may I pls know the Zinc brand you were taking ?

Thanks

Sam

• Terri

July 18, 2023 at 2:40 pm

Hi Jan. I haven’t been through the SSDI process, but have looked into applying. I read that it’s best if the applicant is no longer working when he/she applies for it. I’m still working FT. I work from home, so that helps with the side effects caused by my meds. I’d like to keep working as long as I can, though some days the workplace BS really gets on my nerves! As my respiratory therapist says, “Work is one thing you can still do.”

I’m curious about what kind of alternative treatments your husband has tried. I’m on Cellcept and awaiting insurance approval to start Ofev. I’m also doing pulmonary rehab at my local hospital and use at-home oxygen for exercise only.

• Samuel Kirton

July 18, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Hi Jan,

I did apply for SSDI following my diagnosis in 2017. I had to stop working in my profession and went out on disability from work. The insurance company paying my disability claim engaged a law firm to file my claim. The paperwork is daunting. I do have to agree with you that a law firm will relieve a great deal of stress which is something neither the patient nor caregiver need. The law firm was paid by the insurance company as it was in their best interest to reduce their liability by the amount social security paid. Because IPF is a compassionate case the turn-around time was short.

Sam …

• Patricia Fox

July 18, 2023 at 2:51 pm

I was on LOA from my job and then went onto LTD from the insurance company my employer uses.  As Sam mentioned I was also provided assistance from my employer’s company to get my SSDI established.  I paid a small fee to them from my accrued SSDI but I did not have to worry about the process and paperwork as I had already submitted most things that were needed by SSDI to my employer’s insurance company. It did take a little time – maybe 5 months – but was grateful for the support.

• Joy Hunton

July 18, 2023 at 3:55 pm

I’d like to reply but want you to know, I recently googled my name and a previous submission on this site came up and was not private so I hesitate to provide detailed private information.  I deleted those submissions and will do so with this in a few days.  Yes, I applied for my husband who was diagnosed with IPF in 2021 and already retired from the fire dept.  I don’t recall it being overly difficult, just followed all the instructions.  Since IPF is considered a compassionate allowance, he was approved fairly quickly.

• Charlene Marshall

July 23, 2023 at 10:27 am

Hi @joyhunton,

Thanks so much for your post and being part of the forums. Unfortunately, we don’t have the ability to make our forums page private, or whether the Google search engine picks up content for a public search. A few members have shared this concern with us, and it would be nice if the content could be contained in this website but unfortunately it isn’t possible. This information is shared when anyone/everyone signs up for the forums and participants agree to the terms, so I’m sorry to hear it was a surprise. We’re glad you’re part of our conversations though, but understand this is unsettling. If you have any further concerns, please don’t hesitate to connect with us.
      Take care,
      Charlene.

• Jim Coddington

July 18, 2023 at 5:47 pm

Hi Jan, I was diagnosed wit IPF in March of 2022. I worked till September, 2022. I filed for SSDI when I stopped working, one of the criteria for benefit. Contacted an attorney initially but was advised to try on my own. Social Security contacted me and I gave them all my information in a phone meeting. They did send some papers for me to fill out but the Case Worker on my claim did most of the work contacting doctors and gathering info. My claim was approved in 3 months. Good luck in whatever route you decide to go. Trust your instincts. Jim C

• Lee

July 18, 2023 at 6:47 pm

Yes. I was diagnosed two years ago and applied after a year and was approved. I didn’t want to deal with the SSA and all the red tape, so I hired one of the disability law firms who specialize in it. Klein and Associates were the firm I used. They were excellent. They handled everything and gathered all my medical files and I only had to go for a test of PFTs. It took about 6 months but they got the payments paid retroactively. They charge a reasonable fee out of the first check from the retroactive SSDI payment.
    I’m sure there are thousands of firms that specialize. Shop around and get three proposals.
    Lee

• Tony Hernandez

July 19, 2023 at 1:11 pm

I am very glad for those whoo have had success in filing for SSDI.  I was turned down on my claims with the VA on two occasions.  My claims were not on the list of conditions – for Agent Orange connection.  The last claim was handled by a cousin who was in the Army for Iraq, and Afghanistan and he deals with homecoming veterans and their cases =as a civilian counsellor.  He submitted my claims and documents on CD to a department handling Claims back in Florida where he resides.  The outcome was that if I resided in Florida for at least six months, they would get me approved.   I do not intend to leave my home in the Caribbean.

But this SSDI is news to me and I will research the requirements.  I must say that I am 78 years old and I get benefits from a private industry pension and Social Security and I also have private medical insurance plus some Veterans benefits.  So, I probably do not qualify for SSDI.  I was diagnosed with IPF in May of 2017 and I have been on OPEV four years now. Other than some tiring on slopes and stairs with drops of blood oxygen percentages (low 80s) and increases of Pulse (120s), I have a normal routine.

Thank you for your input.

• mita vyas

July 19, 2023 at 3:11 pm

Hi,
    Can you collect social security (over 70 now) and disability?

I am not sure about that.

Thanks
    Mita

• Jeffrey Borrell

July 19, 2023 at 6:01 pm

No you can’t collect both SED and SS retirement, unless you have a private policy. Most of the time if your on SSD and become SS eligible through retirement then SSD ends and you have to go on SS.  Call a knowledgeable attorney in your state   It’s usually free.

• Linda Maguire

July 24, 2023 at 11:20 am

If you are eligible for Social Security due to your age, you cannot collect SSDI, which is Social Security Disability Insurance.  Plus, it pays less than regular Social Security, which is based upon your work history.   Just having a diagnosis of IPF does not necessarily qualify one for SSDI.  They look at your functionality and will get all of your MD reports, test results, etc.  Generally speaking, one has to have a significant disability to get SSDI.  I was diagnosed in 2015 & continued to work until I was 71, however I started taking my Social Security at 68 because I didn’t know how  quickly the disease would progress.  (My original plan was to wait to take SS at 70).   I am a Clinical Social Worker, and based upon my experience with my own mental health patients, one is often turned down the first time they apply for SSDI, and it sometimes takes hiring an attorney to be approved.  However, just having a diagnosis doesn’t necessarily qualify one for SSDI, as it is based upon whether you are capable of working.

• Jan OBrien

July 25, 2023 at 8:42 pm

Thank you everyone. Great information!  I have since discovered that if you’re on SS, you can’t claim for SSDI additionally. My husband is on SS so that was the end of that possibility. Thank you Linda and Jeff for that info.

He has started taking Zinc Picolinate and it does seem to be making a bit of a difference. Taking 25 mg/day. Took a shot at the OFEV but that was pure hell on his stomach. He only lasted 6 weeks.  Continuing to research additional possibilities. Looking into a clinical trial by Leapcure. Anybody know anything about that one?

• Linda Maguire

July 26, 2023 at 1:27 pm

Jan,

From what I understand the trial by Leapcure is a drug called LYT-100.  If  I understand correctly, it is a “cleaned up” version of Ofev, meaning that they have tried to reduce side effects by removing some of the chemicals to make the drug more tolerable.  It might be worth contacting them to get more information about the drug.  Linda

• Jan OBrien

July 26, 2023 at 1:44 pm

Thanks Linda, doing that now. Working on setting up the call with them.

• Christine McCann

July 27, 2023 at 2:48 pm

I tried SDI but because I am already on SS and I am over the limit age I could not get it. so I did short term Disability through the county which helped, but it is limited but by $ not weeks like unemployment .