Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ The Frequency of Changing Your Nasal Cannula

• Sarv Punj

May 26, 2020 at 9:50 am

HiCharlene,
    I read your query about changing the nasal cannula and some of the replies too. As you know, my wife is on Oxygen and uses Oximyzer (pendant type) which has a nasal cannula attached. The manufacturer has specified a months duration for changing the Oximyzer but we feel that it depends more on the upkeep and condition of the cannula. Plastics tend to get harder over a period and may start hurting. This may warrant changing it.Sometimes mild nasal discharges enter the opening of the canula and make it dirty . This needs to be cleaned regularly else it may block the flow of Oxygen. Oximyzer canula costs Rs 4000/- a piece but it helps to conserve oxygen. If the patient needs 5-6litres per minute with normal canula, Oximyzer reduces that requirement to 3-4 litres per minute maintaining the saturation to almost 97-98%. Our experience is that we change after one and a half month.

• Charlene Marshall

May 27, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Hi Sarv,

Thanks so much for contributing to this important topic thread – I think it is one that many will find beneficial, as everyone’s experience is very different. Like you and your wife, I find the duration of the cannula lasting is dependent on various factors as well. Glad she’s able to find a solution that helps maintain her 02 saturations, that is great to hear. Thanks again for writing 🙂 Charlene.

• Judy

May 28, 2020 at 11:55 am

Entered before finishing comment. Anyhow there was a mention regarding dry nose, which is irritating to say the least. Shortly after I started o2 24/7 i recognized that needed something but knew I couldn’t use Vaseline. A friend of my daughter has a young very ill son who has been on o2 most of his life. When asked she recommended Rhinase a soothibg nasel gel. I found it on amazon and it helps with dry nose. No petroleum ingredients. It helps.

• Charlene Marshall

May 30, 2020 at 10:13 am

@craftyone (I still love that username, by the way 🙂 )

Thanks so much Judy – I have no doubt the information you shared about Rhinase will help others struggling with this pesky side effect of being on 02. Thank you for taking the time to share, and I’m glad you’ve found something that is helpful. Take care, Charlene.

Page 2 of 2