• Using Morphine

Posted by Don Graybill on August 29, 2023 at 5:39 pm

I’ve just started taking morphine at my doctor’s suggestion.  I’m taking 0.2ml (4MG) but it does not really seem to make a difference. Here are my questions, what has been your experience taking morphine?  How much are you taking?  What difference does it make (ie, does it slow down the rapid breathing? Or does it weaken the chest tightness?) Generally how often during the day do you take it.  Do you take it straight into your mouth or with juice? Any experience you can share would be helpful.  Thanks

Allan Byron replied 5 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Sandy Richardson

August 31, 2023 at 2:59 pm

I use morphine for breathing issues .5 ml when needed. Usually takes about 10 minutes to feel the effects. I just take it orally and it taste horrible so I drink water afterwards to get taste out of mouth. I use the morphine as my last resort because it can cause constipation.

• Allan Byron

November 22, 2023 at 2:39 pm

I only take morphine on severe SOB which i currently don’t have. I took it twice before and had severe constipation.

• Don Graybill

August 31, 2023 at 5:38 pm

Thanks, Sandy-Richardson, I’ve been taking a very low dose (about .2ML) with juice. Guess I need to try taking in directly into my mouth though I already am struggling with the constipation. You said you take it only when absolutely necessary. If you don’t mine telling me, what would conditions need to be like for your to feel the morphine is necessary?

• Allan Byron

November 27, 2023 at 4:33 pm

Morphine is recommended to be used under tongue, and if low dose is not working use the higher dose as per doctors advise. I use it only as needed

Allan Byron

• george-poulsen

November 19, 2023 at 4:34 pm

I may have said this before, but I take very small doses of Tramadhol 1/3rd of a 50 mg pill along with one Tylenol Arthritis cap. Provided originally for Back issues before and after surgery and pain that has become not only chronic but seems low rib areas on back and shoulder to shoulder and up neck are much worse with my IPF. Its only a band-aid cover up and I only take one in the morning (good for about 4 hours). I don’t like the fact that it seems to make me really tired for about one hour out of the 4-5 hours that it gives me relief. Yes constipation is an after effect from almost any pain pill. But my go to relief for that is the Blueberry breakfast or trail bars that my wife picks up at the grocery store. Absolutely perfect and pretty normal with that bar only. None of the other types have that acceptability for me. The Muslic(sp) bars with coffee are also a very good sub if nothing else.

• Steve Dragoo

November 21, 2023 at 11:17 pm

Would a sedative or tranquilizer work too?