Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ What is your experience with Curcumin?

• What is your experience with Curcumin?

Posted by natalie-mondor on August 18, 2022 at 4:46 pm

Hello All,

Does anyone take Curcumin? Which brand and how much per day?
    I read some recent articles on PubMed that seem promising for us pf patients, and am wondering if I should ask my doctor.
    If the topic has already been discussed please send me the links.
    Thanks

Natalie

colin-o-driscoll replied 1 year, 7 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • msherbert

August 22, 2022 at 8:10 am

Hi Natalie,

Curcumin is known for being an anti-inflammatory compound and is in turmeric which is used in Indian cooking and medicine.  The problem with it and supplements which contain it is its lack of bioavailability, even when combined with piperine (in black pepper) which helps absorption.  I have seen the promising research studies, but they were not done in humans and my ILD pulmonologist (who is also a researcher) always says “Mouse lungs are not human lungs.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has a section on their website about integrative medicine which gives information on herbs and supplements:                                                                                        https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs/search?letter=%23

Margaret

• natalie-mondor

August 25, 2022 at 7:00 am

Margaret,

Thanks for the information. I will check that out.
      Natalie

• walter-gerstmann

August 25, 2022 at 5:12 pm

I am an 84 year old man. I have been taking curcumin as Tumeric capsules bought from Costco (the one in the square black bottle, not Kirkland) for at least the last ten years. The recommended dose on the bottle is two capsules; I take one capsule a day every day. In February 2022, I was diagnosed with mild IPF. Perhaps the Tumeric has kept it mild since there have been contributing factors such as second-hand smoke until fifteen years ago and cardio medications for the last seventeen years.

What is certain is that it has helped the osteoarthritis in my knees. When I tried the Kirkland brand of Tumeric, a similar dose, for a week, my knees hurt going downstairs—returning to the one I was using stopped the pain.

• steve-dragoo

August 25, 2022 at 10:05 pm

@nataliem

Hi Natalie,

Since I am in the Philippines, we enjoy a hot or warm glass of calamansi juice strong with ginger, turmeric, honey, and a little olive oil to help absorption – about a teaspoon of each to taste..  Very refreshing way to start the day.  Sadly when we will be in the USA it is difficult to find any calamansi so we will switch to a strong lemon/lime drink in the morning.  I buy what I can source for the turmeric and we could grow it but don’t so usually it comes from India.

Stay well…
    Steve

• Millie

August 26, 2022 at 8:23 am

Hi natalie:
    I was taking turmeric daily for several years. However, since I started Ofev I have discontinued using it. I’ve been told that Ofev is a blood thinner and so is turmeric. Not good to be taking 2 different blood thinners.

• colin-o-driscoll

August 26, 2022 at 9:06 am

My medical support has told me to avoid turmeric because of its interaction with immunosuppressants. I had a transplant 10 months ago.