Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults 4 common coughing triggers for IPF

Tagged: 

• russel-fabre

May 22, 2018 at 7:42 pm

I know may find this funny, but here it is. My wife walking into the room. No kidding, we realize it’s because I’m relaxed either working on a project or reading and the sudden requirement to jump into an “alert” mental status triggers a coughing spell. Oh, I’m into year five of IPF on 8-15 LPM of supplemental oxygen. I use Hydromet for coughing and extreme fits require morphine syrup.

• Charlene Marshall

May 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Hi Russel,

Thanks for getting in touch and contributing your thoughts to this thread. I don’t think it sounds funny at all, and actually had a very simliar experience just today at work. I was walking out of the restroom and someone was standing around the corner that I didn’t see and it really startled me. When I jumped, I gasped in air and then started coughing for several minutes. My oxygen levels dropped and I needed a colleague to run my supplemental oxygen to me. I am supposed to wear it more often than I do, and just had it off for this moment which unfortunately I paid for it breathing-wise.

Does the current regimen you’re on help to alleviate the coughing when needed? Right now my coughing tends to resolve on its own with rest, but I can feel that becoming more difficult for me and am curious how others help alleviate their coughing.

Thanks for sharing with us, and welcome again to the PF forums!

Kind regards,
    Charlene.

• doris-bolton

August 25, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Hi, I’m new to this site and I’d like to say that movement or any kind of physical activity will start me coughing. It is exhausting. My consultant has prescribed codeine linctus for me and it takes the edge off the cough but it never goes away. It’s very frustrating. Especially when I’m trying to exercise when followimg a pulmonary rehab programme. The other annoying thing about coughing for me anyway is that it has wrecked my pelvic floor muscles and consequently the dreaded words incontinence nurse has been heard. Anyone else finding this a problem? By the way thank you for this site, its great.

• bernard-mckenna

August 26, 2021 at 10:21 am

I frequently cough after a bowel movement otherwise it is in the morning just after getting up or if there is a change in the weather.

• rebecca-bloch

August 26, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Temperature changes will make me cough, as does exertion.  Also, I notice a huge emotional component.  It’s become a way for me to really check into what my body is telling me about my emotions.  I take Sitopaladi Churna for my cough. It is an Ayurvedic Medicine.

• rebecca-bloch

August 26, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Temperature changes will make me cough, as does exertion.  Also, I notice a huge emotional component.  It’s become a way for me to really check into what my body is telling me about my emotions.  I take Sitopaladi Churna for my cough. It is an Ayurvedic Medicine.

• rayc

August 27, 2021 at 9:15 am

Thanks for this article. I have some in the house that were wondering why I cough so much.
    The four triggers work on me, especially weather right now. Dew points have been in the high 60s low 70s F for over two weeks with a heat index of 107-122. Needless to say I sit real close to the A/C vent.
    I am in my 4th year of diagnosis (although thinking back, it’s been with me a lot longer) and on 6L oxygen with movement. Once I sit, blood O2 jumps back up fairly quickly.
    After reading some of the others I feel fortunate that OTC cough drops are working for me.

I’m currently working on my weight loss to be able to qualify for a transplant. Have lost 54lbs.  This last 20 is tough. My lungs have been stable for the last 3 years of PFTs.

I tend to ramble so there’s my contribution

Never give up

• marylou-ward

August 27, 2021 at 12:04 pm

the triggers set off my cough also.  I boil a herb, Gus Lou Shi, for my cough.  Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn’t.   Thank you all for your comments on a cough.  I don’t feel as along in the world.