Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Lung Transplantation Am I Too Old for A Lung Transplant?

• Am I Too Old for A Lung Transplant?

Posted by mark-koziol on June 16, 2020 at 2:00 pm

I came across a short article from the Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials publication. The article is titled; “Lung Transplant: A Surprising Option After Age 65”. Dr. Marie Budev D.O., who is the Medical Director of the Cleveland Clinic Lung Transplant Program, is quoted several times in the article. Dr. Budev writes, “It’s not a person’s chronological age- the age on paper-but his or her physiological age that counts.” This statement resonates me with me as I am involved with several transplant support groups and find older patients who are in good health do fairly well after transplant. The article is informative and answers the question; “Am I too old to receive a lung transplant?”

If you are considering a lung transplant, will your age be the deciding factor?

Charlene Marshall replied 4 years, 3 months ago 11 Members · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • bill-cusack

November 28, 2019 at 9:35 am

Some  are being evuated at age 73. Last high res CT scan showed a 6mm nodule. I am on hold for 3 months when we get a follow-up high res CT scan – Hoping there is no growth in the nodule. I go to pulmonary Rehab 3 time per week. And feel great

• mark-koziol

November 28, 2019 at 10:17 am

Hello Bill, thank you for sharing. You have a great attitude. I wish you good luck on your next exam. Keep exercising and keep that positive mental attitude. I think it does wonders for us. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Enjoy this holiday with your loved ones. Keep us up to date. I have good thoughts for you Bill! Mark

• robert-obrien

November 28, 2019 at 9:35 am

Hi Mark-I was informed by the transplant team at MGH that I will be listed.  I have begun the testing (second time) for final evaluation. I tested in 2017 but for the last 2 years I was deemed “too stable” to list.  However, that has changed now.  After all IPF is a progressive illness and I have been sliding, accelerating somewhat over the last 7 months.  I am 73 and was told last May at my periodic evaluation that that figure factors more importantly now into the equation and they were going to look more closely at me. Well 2 weeks ago they did and now I’m off to the races. My final procedure will be with a cardiologist in January. If all is copasetic, I will be listed.  Should  turn out to be a cathartic year for me and my family.

• mark-koziol

November 28, 2019 at 10:10 am

Hello Robert, this is great news. Please be vigilant in your course of exercise and diet. The better shape you are in the better recovery you will have. Of course stay within the required BMI requirement as well. Keep sharing your great news and good luck on your last test. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Mark

• john-kane

November 28, 2019 at 10:09 am

The Mayo Clinic told me that 70 is their usual cut off age, but, since there is nothing else wrong with me (yet), they can consider an exception…I had a great visit there.

• mark-koziol

November 28, 2019 at 10:20 am

Hello John, keep up the hard work. This why you are in good shape. If the time comes where your condition does go south there are many transplant centers who would consider you for a transplant. Thank you for sharing.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Mark

• karen-martin

November 29, 2019 at 8:31 am

@mark-koziol, I am 69 and also have a nodule (7mm) on my lung.  In fact, I have a CT with contrast scheduled this afternoon to try to determine if it is grownin.  I have been seen at Duke in NC and was told they don’t necessarily focus on age, which is great, but I have been ambivalent about a transplant for many reasons.  This all has me thinking very hard about what may be ahead.  Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful information you present here.  Karen

• mark-koziol

November 29, 2019 at 8:51 am

Hello Karen, thank you for sharing. Let’s have some positive thoughts. I am praying for you and I am sure others are too. Many times these nodules are benign. Regardless of what happens today please keep physically active. Lung transplantation is not an easy decision for some. In my case it was a no brainer and I didn’t want my life ended at a young age. I have never regretted my decision and I am about to celebrate my 4th lungaversary on December 4th. So far I have been without complications. I am truly blessed and grateful. Remember, positive thoughts! Let us know how things went if you feel comfortable. Thank you again and best wishes, Mark.

• tom-dowell

December 3, 2019 at 9:52 am

Last year I went through a ton of test at UTsouthwest to determine if I was acandidate for a transplant. I was 79 and passed ever thing except for some blockage which could be fixed with some stents. I was turned down because putting in the stents and my age was to great a risk. If approved I am not sure at my age I would have went through with the transplant. So far I am doing ok with ofev and laser treatments.

• mark-koziol

December 3, 2019 at 10:16 am

Hello Tom, thank you for sharing. I wish you good health and I hope you continue to do well with your ofev and laser treatment regimen. Mark

• james-lott

December 3, 2019 at 12:57 pm

I was able to get a single lung transplant, two years ago. I was just over 71 years old. IPF was getting worse and when I went over 5 liters of oxygen I was listed. Forty-three days later I got a call from Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids, Michigan to get a transplant. Now over two years later I am enjoying life again.

• mark-koziol

December 3, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Hello James, thank you for sharing this wonderful news. I always love to hear this type of news. I will be celebrating my 4th lungaversary on December 4th (tomorrow). Keep up the good work and remain active! Take care, Mark.

• karen-martin

December 3, 2019 at 2:51 pm

Hello, Mark.  CT shows the nodule is about a centimeter in size now and my esophagus is slightly thickened.  Also have some enlargement of the lymph nodes in my chest.  Hoping that might be due to a cold I am still getting over.  At any rate, we will be doing a PET scan and a scope on the esophagus.  Right now I am concentrating on Christmas!  Too many fun and pretty things to think about to worry about any of this for now.   Karen

• mark-koziol

December 3, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Hello Karen, thank you for the update. My prayers are with you and I hope for the best with this nodule. Best wishes in your future tests. We are always here if you need to vent or need something answered. Mark

• dennis-rowe

December 3, 2019 at 4:25 pm

I’m 9 months post op from my bi-lateral lung transplant at UCSF.  I was 72 years old at the time.  I had several major exasperations after being listed by UCSF, and after the third one I was transported to UCSF to await my transplant.  I was very fortunate…Three weeks after my admission I received my new lungs!  It was a pretty tough recovery, as I needed ECMO, and spent a long time in the ICU.  My family was a god send for me and the doctors and nurses as well!  My recovery has been prolonged by several factors, but one of the biggest was I didn’t WORK hard enough to gain strength!  I think your attitude and how much you want to continue living will overcome your age.  I now go to Pulmonary Rehab 3-5 times a week, and am building my endurance, etc.  For those of you who wonder if you should undergo a transplant?  Consider the alternative!  I know I would be dead now if I hadn’t been fortunate and received my new lungs!  Be positive about your future, and don’t make the mistake I did!  WORK HARD, AND DILIGENTLY after your gift of life!!  Also importantly, appreciate your caregivers!!

• mark-koziol

December 3, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Hello Dennis, thank you for sharing your story about your transplant. I don’t think I can add anything. I am glad you recognized how much exercise and working has to do with your recovery. This must be done pre transplant as well. I love hearing success stories as you have told us. Please keep up your  pulmonary rehab regimen. Best wishes, Mark.

• karen-martin

December 15, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Hello, Mark.  Had my PET done and it came back normal!  Talk about a wonderful Christmas present!!   I appreciate all of the support I receive here.  Just knowing there are so many others out there going through the same things and more helps.  Belated happy lungaversary, too!  What a wonderful milestone.  🙂  Karen

• mark-koziol

December 15, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Hello Karen, you gave us some great news. This is a wonderful Christmas present! Thank you for your well wishes, they are very much appreciated. This is a wonderful forum, members are always willing to step up and offer an ear to listen, suggestions, and encouragement when needed. Thank you and best wishes, mark.

• susan-howitt

December 16, 2019 at 12:49 pm

I suppose each country has different criteria. I was told almost immediately I wouldn’t be considered for a lung transplant, not even sure I wanted one, as age was one, I was then 71 and the fact I also have Systemic Scleroderma plus several nodules in both lungs, the largest being 15mm.  Most of these have since been calcified by the SSc for which I am in a way grateful because the two biggest were on my trachea and causing considerable discomfort.

Congratulations mark of the occasion of your 4th lungaversary.

• mark-koziol

December 16, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Hello Susan, thank you as always for sharing your personal experiences. I appreciate your well wishes with my lungaversary. I have been fortunate I have been without major complications but every day is a new day and I am grateful for each one and my selfless donor. Thank you Susan!

• robert-obrien

December 17, 2019 at 9:39 am

I have been pretty diligent about rehabilitation and my maintenance program but for the last few months I have not been able to keep up on the treadmill or bike as my SpO2 levels nosedive not to mention the acute shortness of breath on 6L of full flow O2. I continue with the exercises (with 3# weights) and stretches and I head up to MGH tomorrow to continue the process. I am scheduled for a 6min walk test which will be a total failure as I just did one at MGH in November and I got below 80% after 2min at which point they automatically stop the walk. I will meet with the social worker and the bean counters as well as doing required lab tests.  I am 73 and I think I am still in pretty good shape although I have lost over 40 pounds but this is due to the Esbriet which will be discussed tomorrow and we’ll see what they want to do. Onward and upward!

• mark-koziol

December 17, 2019 at 2:47 pm

Hello Robert, I’m sorry to hear about your SOB problems. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed. You have an excellent attitude and keep working. You may have an underlying infection effecting you. Take care and best wishes, mark.

• pamela-green

December 17, 2019 at 1:33 pm

Mark, Just wanted you to know that Temple University Hospital called me this morning and are putting me on the transplant list next week.

• mark-koziol

December 17, 2019 at 2:32 pm

Hello Pamela, this is great news. It will add a little more excitement to your holiday plans. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Take care, mark.

• susan-howitt

December 17, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Happy for you Pamela

Hope your new lungs arrive soon though it is sad that some one else has to lose .

• susan-howitt

December 17, 2019 at 2:08 pm

@bobo

Hi Robert, you sound just like me (5ltspm) though I have refused the Esbriet.  Must say I would love some of your weight loss though.  Doesn’t seem to matter how much we exercise the shortness of breath is the limiter for at least a few minutes.  I do at least 5 kms a day walking the dogs and just general around the house, alone so I do everything., I have a pedometer now so know.  Got resistance bands on my exercise machine. I am also 73 and think I am in good shape for my age too despite….

• Charlene Marshall

December 17, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Hi @pamelagreen,

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear this. I’ve heard such great things about Temple! Keep us posted when you can, I’ll be thinking of you often.
    Charlene.