Tagged: 

• HerbC

August 24, 2021 at 3:28 pm

Hello Pete,

I carry a small zip lock bag with me and when I remove the cannula I simply place the hose in side the bag while still attached to the unit.

Herb C

• Sandra

August 24, 2021 at 9:39 pm

This seems to be a problem with many of us. I do not have the best answer in the world but I have been using a binder clip that I bought at the stationary store. When I take the cannula out of my nose I immediately place it between the binder clip and clip in on the bag handle that contains my oxygen, then roll up the rest of the hose and tuck it into the small pocket on the bag. Even if the hose comes out of the bag, the cannula does not drag on the ground. You can also use the binder clip on your bed covering to place the cannula in when you get up in the morning keeping it off the ground and possible more germ free. If you come up with something better, please let me know, as I have been struggling with this issue also. Good luck!

• jim nox

August 24, 2021 at 11:16 pm

I agree the canula has a mind of its own and is hell-bent to land on the floor, especially in public places and especially in restrooms.  Actually, it is quite amazing; as if it is a companion sent to entertain, tempt, and bedevil you in exchange for its life enhancing delivery. I look forward to the suggestions of others as I have achieved little success in taming the little critter. I frequently leave it around my neck, just pull it out of my nose and wear it like a necklace. It has no choice but to behave. At night, at home, I loop it over my headboard.

Best,

Jimnox

• Christie Patient

August 24, 2021 at 11:42 pm

In the hospital, they used something like this to keep various tubes and cannulas from falling to the floor. The clip end went on the collar of the shirt, the plastic snappy end went around the tube.

For use at home, I imagine you could put the snapping end around a small handle or zip pull if you use the concentrator in a backpack and then use the metal clip part to hold the cannula, similar to Sandra’s hand binder clip idea.

• Pete

August 25, 2021 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the great tips folks. I will try them all. You would think the designers of home units and portable units would have designed something to hold the cannula and keep it germ free when not in use.

• Karen Rachal

August 26, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Nothing has worked for me, so I keep a supply of alcohol wipes on hand.

• Jill

August 26, 2021 at 4:28 pm

My husband sticks it in a soft sided glasses case (they come to its little clips attached) that then lives in the pocket of the backpack he uses for his portable liquid oxygen, and hooked it onto the handle of the cart when he had to pull tanks in Phoenix for his transplant evaluation. At home that glasses case just lives on the coffee table or somewhere near his portable when he’s not using it. The ones attached to the big resovoirs go over hooks he’s put on the wall, or over the headboard, when not being used,

• Mike McCutcheon

August 26, 2021 at 5:15 pm

I loop the canola around my neck like a rope. It stays there never drags on the floor

• Karen Martin

August 27, 2021 at 3:05 pm

What about a strip of the two-sided velcro that sticks to itself?  That could be fastened around the “handle” of the concentrator or strap of the POC and then around the canula,

• Kulvinder Singh

August 28, 2021 at 2:04 am

Use twist tie wire to tie Nasal cannula with Oxygen Concentrator.

• Robert M

August 28, 2021 at 11:38 am

For the home concentrator I bought one of those removeable plastic wall hangers at home depot.

In the morning I just hang the cannula on the hook I stuck to the concentrator.

They have a little plastic pull that will remove the hook when no longer needed. Works great.

Haven’t figured out anything for the portable, still drags on the ground.