Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Fun and General Chat Healthy Recipe Sharing Consuming a Healthy Diet with IPF

• Consuming a Healthy Diet with IPF

Posted by Charlene Marshall on October 19, 2019 at 8:43 am

It’s no secret that a balanced diet is important for everyone, but especially those living with a chronic illness. Since being diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) a little over three years ago, I’ve become a lot more aware of what I consume on a daily basis, and what is regularly part of my diet. Unfortunately, some of the medication side effects from the anti-fibrotic drug that I am on called Ofev, curb my appetite and I don’t eat as much of healthy things like I should – such as fruit: the acid tends to bother me more than it did before my diagnosis.

I was recently on vacation in Hawaii, and found an exception to the acidic fruits rule as I enjoyed tons of fresh pineapple. I was also told that pineapple and pineapple juice are really good for the lungs, and generally, for reducing inflammation. Typically, I feel a lot better when I eat plenty of healthy foods: my energy level is better, mental clarity and sleep are both improved. This got me thinking about foods that I should be incorporating into my diet and may not be right now. I came across the following article I wanted to share with our forums community, called 7 Foods for Eating Well With a Chronic Lung Condition 

Have you tried any of these foods in particular, or do you incorporate them regularly into your diet? 

If so, do you notice a difference in how you feel?

Please let us know.

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    October 22, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Ever since I became a father, 13 years ago, I became conscious about activity and about what I consume.  So, I’ve been inadvertently making changes in my diet.  I was diagnosed with IPF a year ago and I did tons of research about what if anything I could change to help or improve my condition.  I’ve heard that enzymes in red-meat cause mucus/inflamation.  So, I now stick to consuming poultry and fish but, strictly for lunch.  In the mornings and dinner, I drink freshly made “juice it yourself” vegetable/fruit juice.  I eat a meat for lunch along with a whole grain, fruit, and either drink water or a fresh juice.  Recently, I watched an Amazon documentary called, “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” and that totally changed my outlook about what I’m putting in my body.  The narrator, who also suffers from an autoimmune disease, challenged himself to only consume juiced vegetables and fruits for 90 days.  He was well over 300lbs when he started his journey.  In two weeks time he lost like 30 lbs.  Throughout the documentary experts chimed in and educated the audience about how unhealthy and detrimental the typical American diet is and spoke about the effects of what happens inside the body after the over consumption of processed foods and red meats.  They also spoke about the benefits of juicing your own fruits/vegetables. Unlike the narrator who went 100% juicing, I juice only about 66% in my diet.  What’s significant about these percentages is that typically in the American diet, 60% is meat based, 5%fruits/Vegetable, 5% grains, and 30% processed foods.

After I made the change to juice, in two weeks I lost 10 lbs.  I lost the stubborn weight around my midsection.  The third week I didn’t notice any more weight loss and I’m at my normal walk around weight.  With the diet change I sleep better, I am alert, I have less phlegm, and I can not say that my breathing has gotten any better and I cannot say it has gotten any worse until I have my next check up (which is actually tomorrow).  I’ll let you know…

• Mark Koziol

October 22, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Hello Richard, you do an amazing job of nurturing your body. I’m sure it takes a lot of discipline to do what you are doing. I’m glad you are reducing the effect of some your symptoms and I’m sure others will follow your lead. Please update the forum after your doctor appt tomorrow. I hope there is no progression in your fibrosis. Take care, mark.

• Malcolm Mann

October 22, 2019 at 2:27 pm

Hi all
    I,ve led a low fat high fibre life for years, but now am in a quandry, the OFEV literature recommends bland low fibre diet. While my gastroenterologist (and the rest of the medical profession) insists on high fibre diet. We enjoy an international diet, a bit Mediterranean, a bit Asian & Australian general, 95% home cooked.
    Since starting OFEV I really have’nt changed what I eat other than greatly reduced intake (reduced appetite) and am in a mild state of diarraeah a lot of the time, not continually just episodically.
    What foods have those on OFEV found safer, and what do you now avoid.
    Cheers
    Mal

• Mark Koziol

October 22, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Hello Mal, you are going to have to use the trial and error method for your diet options. I can tell you what I did but we all have had different experiences with the effects of this medication. I ate small meals 5-6 per day with a protein and a carb on my plate. I did find eating a banana with my meds in the morning alleviated some discomfort. Also I knew if I ate fried foods such as chicken wings I would have to pay for it quickly. I hope you find the right combination for yourself. Best wishes, Mark.

• Karen Martin

October 2, 2020 at 1:50 pm

There has been discussion about food aversion and appetite loss. Much is always said about eating a “healthy diet,” but does anyone else have problems with not even feeling inspired to cook anything at all for yourself? Those of you with a spouse or SO might have help with fixing meals. What about those who must do it for themselves? I just simply often don’t feel motivated to cook because I have little desire for anything. Not to say I don’t get hungry, but that doesn’t often involve a desire for making and eating a balanced meal. What do you do then?

• Mark Koziol

October 2, 2020 at 2:36 pm

Hello Karen, thanks for sharing about your current situation. I have a couple of ideas to help you with your problem. I hope they work for you. During my time I had IPF I had to lose weight in order to qualify for a lung transplant. I still insisted on cooking, and my wife bought me a roll around stool so I could scoot around the kitchen. Even though I had to lose weight I knew I had to eat in order to stay strong and also speed up my metabolism. I tried to eat 5-6 small meals per day. This idea might help you because the meals weren’t overwhelming to prepare. I always kept a bowl of nuts or trail mix on the counter to help with keeping me from being famished. I also always had cut up vegetables fruit at the ready to snack on too. When we prepared meals, we usually made enough for 2-3 meals for each of us that I could divide into lunch or dinner meals. We also had protein drinks. I also kept hydrated by drinking about 100 ozs of water a day. I still try to drink that much water per day because it helps with my kidneys. I hope this helps. Take care, Mark.

• Karen Martin

October 7, 2020 at 9:48 am

Hello, Mark. I always love hearing from you. These ideas sound interesting. I like the idea of keeping nuts, trail mix and other healthy items readily available. I find that just about anything I make becomes enough food for a couple of meals, which sometimes leads to boredom, but I think maybe freezing some things could help with that. Thanks for your suggestions. You are an inspiration to me. 🙂 Karen

• Mark Koziol

October 7, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Hi Karen, I know about the boredom but sometimes it’s we have to eat to live. I am glad you found some tips useful. I do like the freeze method as well. You take care and breath easy. Mark

• gil

October 8, 2020 at 12:31 am

Karen,

“I just simply often don’t feel motivated to cook because I have little desire for anything. Not to say I don’t get hungry, but that doesn’t often involve a desire for making and eating a balanced meal. What do you do then?”

I find that cooking helps me reduce stress, perhaps it is that by focusing on each step of preparation and cooking, time seems to slow down in a good way and resulting in relaxing my mind and body.  Sometimes, I have to force myself to cook but once I start I can get into it and i find a little serenity.  Of course sometimes i am in a hurry or just for the fun of it, I will go out to eat.  Sometimes I am too tired to cook or go out and will have cereal for dinner.

• Karen Martin

October 8, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Gil,
    Maybe because I was the cook in the family for so many years it has lost some of its appeal. I understand what you are saying about the process sometimes being soothing, though. I have that sometimes. I will say that now and then I just go out and pick up something, too. My biggest problem seems to be that I rarely seem to have a taste for anything. Other than chocolate, that is! HAHA!

• gil

October 8, 2020 at 11:05 pm

Karen,

“My biggest problem seems to be that I rarely seem to have a taste for anything. Other than chocolate, that is! HAHA!”

I love chocolate! I make it a point to try chocolate from different parts of the world, quite a bit of variation and it is all good. My favorite chocolate is from Oaxaca, the majority of people there are indigenous and export very little. A friend recently returned from Oaxaca and brought me about a pound of chocolate and I am looking forward to trying it soon.

I’ve noticed a decline in my appreciation of food, I attributed it to the pandemic and i hope that is the cause, IPF is bad enough, i hope it doesn’t ruin my enjoyment of food.

• Karen Martin

October 9, 2020 at 8:19 am

Gil,
    From what I recall from this forum, appetite seems to be affected by the disease, whether or not you are on meds. When I mentioned that I still didn’t seem to be losing any weight, a friend pointed out that perhaps my body has decided I am “starving” and has kicked into preservation mode. Ain’t that a kick in the head?!

Enjoy that chocolate! What a lovely thing for your friend to do. 🙂 Karen

• Troy m collins

January 19, 2021 at 9:52 am

I am just beginning OFEV (4day) and so far no sied effects except for a little dizziness that passes. Is caffiene bad while on the med? I also suffer from chronic heart failure and persistent Afib with pacemaker a/v ablation. I have read so many different diet plans for both and is this going to just be a matter of what my body can tolerate or what it’s very confusing to me.

• Mark Koziol

January 19, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Hello Troy, you are correct in stating you will have to see what your body can tolerate. Not everyone has gastric problems with Ofev. When I took the Ofev I found eating smaller meals helped me out. My meals consisted of having a protein, carb and vegetable that wasn’t high in carbs. I’m not sure about the caffeine causing dizziness. Ofev has a great customer service department. Their number should be on the bottle. I used them when I had specific questions. There is a pharmacist on duty who will answer questions as well. Take care, Mark.

• Jim

January 19, 2021 at 3:52 pm

One word for the food-averse: smoothies.

• Charlene Marshall

January 19, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for sharing @jim-foley! Smoothies have been such a saviour for me as well, I’d also encourage others to try this when struggling to keep food down or feel averse to certain foods.
    Char.