Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Initial Oximeter readings sometimes low

• Initial Oximeter readings sometimes low

Posted by anonymous on August 16, 2023 at 1:04 pm

My pf situation is mild currently.  But I keep an eye on my O2.

I have a question, sometimes when I least expect it, I pop the oximeter on my finger and it reads very low, but quickly climbs up to 90s within 10 seconds. Not every time by any means just sometimes. Is this normal for these things to do this?

thank you

Debbie k replied 8 months, 1 week ago 12 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Monica Loftin

August 16, 2023 at 3:01 pm

This happens to me too and I also wonder why. I would also say my ipf is in a mild stage. It also happens it starts in the high 90s, goes down to eve the 70s and quickly goes up to its usual between 93 and 95. It is very difficult to understand.

• Denny

August 17, 2023 at 2:20 pm

Do either of you have pneumonitis where it takes longer to process oxygen? Do you have a good oximeter with a good battery? Mine does the same thing and it is because I have pneumonitis,

Denny E

• Debbie k

August 24, 2023 at 3:10 pm

Denny

hi I have one questions for u please. How were u diagnosed with pneumonia?? Thank you. My pulmonologist said I have a constant infection. Thinking that’s the same thing??

• Debbie k

August 24, 2023 at 3:12 pm

Denny

hi I have one questions for u please. How were u diagnosed with pneumonia?? Thank you. My pulmonologist said I have a constant infection. Thinking that’s the same thing??
      I meant pneumonitis. Sorry

• David Bennett

August 17, 2023 at 2:44 pm

Mine will also occasionally read low. I take it off and put it back on and it reads as expected. These are not the sophisticated oximeters I used professionally and are quite sensitive to the temperature of the finger and very fine tremors. Even the expensive ones are sometimes difficult to work with. I just accept the reading after it stabilizes if the number is in the general range that my activity suggests. The FDA approved medical devices were originally tested on 20-30 year old healthy volunteers and have a 1-2 % error. The further you get from a healthy 25 y/o’s, the greater their possible error. Just go with the stabilized number and realize that it’s an approximation but probably consistent for the same patient.

• Rand O'Brien

August 17, 2023 at 2:45 pm

I have found outside, the bright sunlight interfers with readings.  Since the contraption works with a laser, there probably is light leakage, or even the finger is “lighter” and interferes.  I tuck my hand under my coat or jacket to get the reading and it works fine.

Rand

• David Bennett

August 17, 2023 at 2:49 pm

Also, your long finger for consistency if possible.

• Adele Friedman

August 17, 2023 at 2:51 pm

In a recent talk by a respiratory therapist, sponsored by PF Warriors, I believe, he stated in takes at least 45 seconds to get an accurate reading from fingertip pulse oximeters. After I heard that I had a medical appointment and complimented the tech on waiting before taking the reading.  If a forehead-sensor pulse oximeter is used, it may be accurate in less time, but that’s not common.

• Hunter21

August 17, 2023 at 9:54 pm

Its better to check your unit with

<li style=”text-align: left;”>side by side with professional oximeters at the Dr. Office before proceeding a wrong action.

This little gadget are reliable to some.

I alway have mine along when visiting medical office.

A low battery can give bad reading to.

• george-poulsen

August 21, 2023 at 4:27 pm

I have noticed that mine takes a good couple minutes to register steadily even with my Inogen G5 at 4-5 LPM about 84. Also reads about 94 at night when set 4LPM on Inogen At Home.

But, every week or so, I use a watch-like recording device (Vimeter) at night that I bought that’s fabulous for my purposes. I put it on when I go to bed and in morning I get  a pretty good set of statistics and graphs including oxygen (and average for the night), heart rate and average, wake up and movement times and break out statistics from those numbers. I’ve found it to be far more accurate than my finger oxy meter. It transfers the data from the watch device to my Iphone and I have over a years data now (which is not really encouraging either) but gives me confidence in the data I look at and can even print it out for doctor to review when I see him. It seems to be much more accurate than the finger unit and I can press button for quick read if I wake up at nite.

• Terri

August 22, 2023 at 3:03 pm

Some fingers give more accurate readings than others, in my experience. I take mine on my left-hand ring finger, and it almost always matches my Apple watch reading. @George Where did you buy the Vimeter?

• Jan Cohen

August 23, 2023 at 10:12 am

I just put new batteries in my oximeter so I know it’s working as well as it can.  Sometimes I get a very low heart rate which startled me at first, but I’ve discovered that if I take the oximeter off and then try again, I get a more normal reading.

• Steve Marks

August 23, 2023 at 4:22 pm

For those that have pnuemonitus how did you get that diagnosis?