This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Charlene Marshall 1 month ago.

• Author
     Charlene Marshall 
    Keymaster

You read that title correctly: doesn’t it feel weird to intentionally avoid shaking hands with someone when the situation warrants it? When I meet someone new, my natural instinct is to shake their hand as I’ve always been taught this is both polite and respectful. However, following my diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and my fear of getting sick, I now try and avoid this action whenever possible.

That said, it is still a little weird when others extend their hand to greet me and I respond with a “fist pump”. That is what I’ve started doing in an effort to keep others’ germs away and avoid another acute exacerbation as a result of catching a respiratory virus. Sometimes, if I have the emotional and physical energy, I’ll explain why I avoid shaking-hands with people and tell them about my lung disease. Other times, I might shake their hand but use hand-sanitizer immediately after. I never want someone to assume that I’m declining to shake their hand because it’s something about them. On the contrary, I need to be as proactive as possible in staying healthy and it is common knowledge that one of the fastest ways to spread germs is through shaking hands with others.

Have you ever run into this scenario? 

What do you do when you don’t want to shake hands, and it is expected or a hand is extended in a social situation that warrants it (ie. introductions)? 

I’d love to hear from you, especially ahead of cold and flu season which begins in the fall.

john styles 
    Participant

Hi Charlene, I carry  small bottle of sanitizer in my pocket and have a larger bottle in the car, my wife has one that will attach to her purse, I use it not only with hand shaking but if I touch anything, door handels, charge pad screens, grocery carts, etc.  I also take “Allacin” its the ingredient in garlic that has antibiotic properties. Seems to work for me, I have not been sick for a year and a half.  I also turn and go the other way when someone is sneezing or coughing. When available I use soap and water.  When I flew this year I used wipes to wipe everything off, the trays, air vents, etc.  So if anyone wants to shake hands I shake them but discreetly use my sanitizer as soon as I can and I do not touch my face untill my hands are washed or I have used the hand sanitizer.

john styles 
    Participant

I forgot to add that I take Dapsone, originally it was used and still is to treat leprosy, but it has anti biotic properties.  Seems to work.

Charlene Marshall 
    Keymaster

Hi John,

So nice to hear from you – thanks for your reply regarding this topic! I was hopeful that others could relate, and that I just wasn’t obsessively aware or cautious of germs. The very act of avoiding hand shakes feels strange, but I really don’t want to relive the experience of an exacerbation! If I have to shake hands, I’m like you and will discreetly use hand sanitizer as soon as I can and not touch my face. Thanks for sharing the supplements you take too! I’ll take a look into the “Allacin”, I’ve heard how beneficial that can be actually. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Talk to you soon,
    Charlene.

Zach Adman 
    Participant

I also try to avoid shaking hands. What I do, when I don’t want to go into a whole explanation is say I have a bit of a cold as I offer a fist bump. Most people then thank me for showing concern for their health.

Charlene Marshall 
    Keymaster

That is a great idea Zach, thanks for sharing! When the situation is flipped as though you’re protecting the person from getting sick, I can imagine the response is more appreciation. Great idea!
    Charlene.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account