Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: Young Adults Scared About The Future Implications of IPF

• Steve Dragoo

March 8, 2019 at 10:34 am

@Charlene-Marshall

Hi Charlene – Laughing at your late night comment.  I burn the oil early in the morning and get up at 4: am. Training in the Philippines we got up at 3 am many mornings ar we would start the day behind and you didn’t want to do that or turn in homework late because you got extra homework – even if you were sick like I was.

Yes got the job but it is pretty short. I’m working with Indeed.com assessment scientist to help create sales interview questions and we have a few rounds of creation and then exchange our white paper to a panel for finalizing the material.  Indeed will probably use the result around the world to employers find the best fit.

Actually, have 4 jobs, 2 end in a few days, a new one starts Monday and the 4th one is developing from a previous client.

The score this week: laser 3, gym 1, work 2, v IPF 0, head cold .5.  I can live with that.

Really glad you like the morning juice and even had sunshine to spare today. I am working on bringing my laser doctor to the forum and hopefully help him create a new avenue for lung patients that the laser will help.

Have a great weekend! – Steve

• Charlene Marshall

March 9, 2019 at 8:14 am

Hi Steve,

Oh my gosh – you weren’t up until 4:50 am but you were up at 4:00 am! Kudos to you, I could never get up that early but I suppose it is all what you’re used to likely, isn’t it? You probably get so much done early in the morning! I admire people who get up early as their day is probably so productive, but then, you don’t tend to go to bed early either as I see you online/responding to posts late at night. When do you sleep?

That is so cool that you’re involved in some “behind the scenes” work of such big companies like Indeed.com. How awesome! Glad you’re keeping busy with these online tasks, good for you for finding an employment solution that works for you Steve. I have so much to learn from you 🙂

Glad the scales of your scores this week are still tipped in your favour despite having a cold!

I am enjoy the morning juice, although I didn’t have one today as I picked up a cold pressed organic juice yesterday from the grocery store. I’ve been thinking of doing their 3 day juice cleanse and wanted to try one. It is expensive ($129.99 for 3 days) but 15 bottles and it sounds like it really will kind of reset my system. What are your thoughts on juice cleanses? No sugar added, pure cold pressed juice ingredients. This one had: apple, cucumber, lemon, ginger and kale…

Talk to you soon,
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

March 9, 2019 at 2:35 pm

@Charlene-Marshall

Hi Charlene – mom got up at 5 no matter how late she went to bed so I come by it honestly.  Working construction a long time and serving in the USN contributed to that too.  Because of my days alone sometimes I take a nap and usually stay up til 11 pm.  I used to like just 6 hours but as I age 7 is perfect but rarely seen…

Well, I hope we make learning and growing mentally and spiritually a life long journey. I have never found anyone I could not learn something from including children.

I hope me posting a weekly score is encouraging to others because I do not mean it as a boost but victory.

As soon as I ship stuff to the Philippines Sunday my wife and I will start doing autophagy at least once per week.  I am sending here a lovely green tea and ground turmeric.   I hope you will enjoy your juicing. I don’t think I can do that because it is too much sugar no no fiber but success to you. Best to you friend – Steve

• Charlene Marshall

March 10, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Hello my friend,

I hope you’ve had a nice weekend, and that my replies and emails don’t overflow your inbox. I’ve been really tired this weekend, sleeping quite a bit and thus, spending some time offline. It’s probably good for me though, but it leaves quit a bit to catch up on, which I’ve done tonight. Our clocks just went ahead for daylight savings last night, so we lost an hour of sleep and even though it is just one hour, it is catching up with me I think. The only good thing is that this move means spring is on the way…

Wow, you do come by it honestly, kudos to your Mom for getting up that early! I was reading a blog this weekend about a woman who gets up to do what she loves between 5 am – 7 am, before starting her day. Initially my response was “no way, I couldn’t do that” but when she explained that she leisurely woke up with her coffee, stayed in her PJs, had the quiet of the house to herself, no emails demanding her attention, etc. I thought she might be onto something. She has trained her body to getting up early, and I bet she is so productive during those hours. I might have to try it, you know me and my love of coffee haha…

Love your comment about life long learning and I agree, I always learn something from the children I work with!

I did go out and purchase 6 juices today, all organic and completely cold pressed juices. The only thing I worry about is sugar content as you say. Even though it is natural sugar, it is still quite a bit. I’m going to try the 6 bottles (2 per day, with a lighter meal) and see if I can offset some of the GI issues the meds seem to be having on my stomach. Wish me luck! 🙂

Talk to you soon,
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

March 10, 2019 at 9:29 pm

@Charlene-Marshall

You know how you mention therapeutic in the morning with your lemon/lime? It is magnified when you get up an hour before anyone else and I like that quiet peacefulness more than anything else the whole day.  So in the Philippines, I get up first and make juice and start part of breakfast then do an email or read and then I wake up my wife where we both share the moments of quiet with our juice before her busy day starts…

I understand tired with this  *&$%&())^!!!!@#_*** time change… The last couple of days I have had the IPF cough bother me but the B vitamins, serrapeptase, and laser have increased my endurance so still able to do stuff.  This is a terrible, unrelenting disease and we are only in a temporary pause it seems, but I’ll take it… Steve

• Charlene Marshall

March 12, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Hi Steve,

I hope you’re having a nice week so far and adjusting to the time change a bit better. Gosh, I’ve been tired this week and dealing with a terrible headache right above my eyes for the last couple of days. It is making replying on the forums a bit more difficult than I’d like! I hope the cough has subsided a bit, and that you aren’t pushing yourself too much to keep up with everything….

I really like the concept of getting up early with the juice and enjoying the peace and quiet. I’m typically not an early riser (usually awake by 7:30 am) so I don’t know if I could do this on weekdays when I am headed to work, but on the weekends, I am going to try and get up regular time (I know this is also helpful for our bodies) and just spend time in the quiet, enjoying my lemon/lime juice. It sounds so peaceful, but likely something I can only manage on weekends. Maybe if I get my body used to it, I can start on weekdays too. Your morning routine with your wife sounds very peaceful 🙂

Today I thought of you, as I think it was you who has mentioned to me the benefits of tumeric before? I had a pure, organic cold pressed juice today that had lemon, apple, ginger and tumeric in it. It was called “spicy lemon”. I never thought I’d like it (since I don’t like tumeric or ginger really) but it was delicious, and very soothing on my stomach. Good to note for future.

Take care,
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

March 12, 2019 at 8:46 pm

@Charlene-Marshall

Hi Charlene – well I’m too old to push myself much but I roll downhill nicely.

I am sorry for you and your headaches and I can identify with you as get them in the same area sometimes too. Eliminating all the stress we can is helpful.  That’s why I like to start the day the way I do.  It sets the right tone and is self-preservation.

Many don’t like turmeric too much and my wife freaks when I had fresh ground pepper and a little olive oil to the tea but it increases bioavailability up to 2000%.  I don’t like ginger that much put is sure is good for the stomach and it is fairly easy to make ginger ale. I bought fresh ground organic turmeric and will ship it along with two boxes I have rearranged twice already.  If I don’t ship them soon I might beat them to the Philippines. Starting autophagy soon.

I hope you have a peaceful evening – tomorrow is mid-week already and I have a laser treatment and then work with two different clients but not so many hours.

Take care – Steve

• Charlene Marshall

March 15, 2019 at 12:38 pm

Hello my friend,

Oh my goodness – I spent the morning off the forums, and instead writing my column for PF News and it exploded again! It’s all good though because it means folks are finding the site useful and informative, it just means that after I ice my neck, I’ll need to spend some time catching up 🙂 How did your laser treatments go today? I hope well!

Thanks for your kind words about my headaches. I think once I get my new glasses – some time next week – it’ll really help alleviate them. I’m still working through neck and shoulder pain from the whiplash caused by the accident in NYC in late 2017, so it is likely all connected. Thankfully stretching, hot/cold compresses and topical anti-inflammatories help with the pain. I need to do better at start my day stress free and enjoying my lemon/lime drink in the morning while not being rushed 🙂

Do you find adding the olive oil to the tea changes the consistency of the water? How do you mix oil into the water for a tea? I tried this with coffee once – adding MCT oil, and it was really thick. It wasn’t bad but I enjoy my coffee plain!

Hope the rest of your week went well, sorry for the delay in replying. I’m sure we’ll chat shortly as I tackle the rest of the replies….

Talk soon,
    Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

March 15, 2019 at 1:12 pm

@Charlene-Marshall

Hi Charlene,

You need to become a split personality because PF News will continue to grow – we are just at the beginning and I am concerned for you…

I know you’ll think I’m crazy (and I am a little) butttt I use organic cold press castor oil in my eyes every night. It is in a prescription I used for dry eyes years ago and it has some very good benefits. Maybe it can help you too. Hot cold compresses work.  You can try this: hot as you can stand towel 7 minutes, cold 2 minutes start and end with hot, do 4 to 6 cycles.

Laser went very good today.  Went to the gym after and had the best workout I’ve had in a long time still have lots of energy left too.

I only add a little (1/2tsp) of olive oil and fresh ground pepper if I am having turmeric tea and just stir it best I can.  Coffee is meant to be consumed bare, hot, and black.

gym 1, treadmill stress test 1, work 2, laser 3 v IPF 0, cold 0…

Stay well and look to next week when spring has sprung. – Steve

• Charlene Marshall

March 16, 2019 at 9:12 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the site is going to continue to grow for sure and I may need to make adaptations about how much / what I reply to on the forums, simply to keep up. For now it is manageable, although I am keeping track of my time on the forums as well so I can still maintain a good work-life balance. Something that is always a learning in progress for me haha… I’ve never been very good at it 🙂

Wow, I didn’t know about the alternating hot/cold compresses to help with our eyes. Does this help alleviate dryness and help with vision issues? I plan to spend this afternoon away from the computer so I am sure that will help too. Then, I get my new glasses this week too!

Gosh, your energy level is amazing Steve. I’m really glad laser went well for you, and that your workout was a good one. Kudos to you!

Glad to hear about your tea combination as well, I’ll have to try this. I’m just about to go switch over the laundry and pour myself another cup of coffee — on the weekends I let myself have two usually 🙂

enjoy your Saturday! The sun is shining here (yesterday temps were +11 which was so nice!) although it is windy and cold again today. However, all week the temperatures are supposed to be in the + range so I’ll take it.

Charlene.

• Steve Dragoo

March 16, 2019 at 11:44 am

@Charlene-Marshall

Hi Charlene – well I had the idea in my brain but I left out an important connection. There are a number of fomentation routines (compress) but I meant to say this is for your muscles – not eyes.  Many apologies… – Steve

• Charlene Marshall

March 16, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Oh got it Steve! That makes more sense 🙂
    I should try this then, as my muscles have been quit sore. I mentioned to another member on the site that I worry I may be coming down with something, hopefully not. As a result, just trying to take it easy this weekend. My neck, shoulders and ….. ready for this … my left thumb are incredibly sore and painful! I’m sure it might have something to do with so much typing! I think I may plan my trip in more detail tomorrow but stay off lengthy replies on the forums to give my thumb, shoulders and neck a bit of a rest, if indeed it is related to computer use/typing!

Hope you’ve had a nice day. The darn snow returned here (yes, it was 11 on Thursday and snowed today) but hopefully it is on its way out…

Talk soon,
    Charlene.

• Lorraine

March 19, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Hi: I found this email thread very helpful to me on many levels… emotionally, mentally, spiritually and appreciated the alternative medicine insight and thoughts/approaches on going forward, in general.

I currently use many supplements, prescribed by a  naturopathic cardiologist via TelMed. I do not take 81 mg aspirin or statins, due to side effects and controversy. This email thread will help me in my desire to add lung supplements, independently or through a naturopathic pulmonologist, to be identified.

Next, I have never been a fan of vaccines and therefore have never had a flu or pneumonia vax. However, I may reconsider the pneumonia vax for obvious reasons. Any thoughts pro or con? I would be particularly interested in hearing from those who refrain from taking the two vaccines and how you protect yourself. Thank you.

• Mark Koziol

March 19, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Hello Lorraine, I have always taken the flu and pneumonia shot. I worked in the schools and was also a corrections officer. Both occupations were in buildings where germs and infection prospered. Most years the flu shot will not prohibit you from getting the flu, but will lessen the length of your symptoms. I have since had a transplant. I received a single rt lung transplant on December 4, 2015. I have been relatively healthy with no complications. I have , however been sick every March since the surgery, one time getting the flu and other times  getting sick from my wife who is a teacher. She was basically a carrier and didn’t get sick herself. I am pretty careful; washing hands, keeping distance from people who show signs of being ill, and other precautionary measures to keep me healthy. I have been taking elderberry gummie bears, been shown to prevent colds and also shorten the the time of your cold and flu symptoms.

• Lorraine

March 20, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Thank you Mark! I appreciate your advice and reasoning. Congrats on transplant and I am glad you have been staying healthy. Keep doing what you are doing.

Page 2 of 2