Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Christie

Well, we’ve finally made the news, folks… for the first time in my memory, the large number of chronically ill and immunosuppressed people in America are taking the spotlight in media. This community has been mentioned hundreds of times in the last year, but usually, when high-risk people come up, it feels like a sad disclaimer on the tail end of news directed at the immunocompetent.

Before the delta variant made its way to the states, and things were reopening all around the country, it felt like this community–3% of the population of America–was being left behind. Now, as arguments flare around the reinstatement of masking rules and distancing guidelines, it suddenly feels to me like someone is looking out for us. Seeing blurbs on TV and articles in The New York Times about the push to get third shots authorized (as early as today, perhaps) for immune-deficient citizens brings me hope.

Doctors and researchers are talking about recommending boosters of the COVID-19 vaccine for immunosuppressed and vulnerable people. It’s the first time I think I’ve ever seen any particular attention paid to this community in the news without using us as a comparison against immunocompetent people. It feels good to have the spotlight on people like my mom, and my friends here in the forums, who would benefit from a booster shot ahead of the general populous.

For as much as we shout and share our stories, it still sometimes feels like we are invisible. It’s nice to have some attention on our community that might benefit our health in the long run.

Are your news outlets doing a good job of discussing these issues? Do you feel seen in this time of so much unrest, fear, and frustration? Have you ever shared your story publicly, and do you think it helped people empathize with your circumstances? Let us know in the comments. 

David Ota
      Participant

@christie-patient

I am shocked and surprised the FDA and CDC has our backs 🙂

Who’d-a-thought.  I’ve been watching the news on the topic for the last month or so and was getting antsy for a decision.

I scheduled a CVS Pharmacy Pfizer 3rd dose on their website for this morning (Monday 8/16/2021) but my wife talked to one of her transplant caregiver friends and she said Walgreens had a walk-in policy for the immunosuppressed.

Call my local Walgreens at 4PM yesterday (Sunday).  They confirmed the 3rd shot was a walk-in, no appt necessary and they had the pfizer shot, 30 minutes later I had my 3rd shot.

Sore arm, same as 1st and 2nd.

Pharmacist said I was 3rd person that day who walked in for a 3rd shot.  I figured the transplant crowd would be kicking their doors down.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Charlene Marshall. Reason: tagging
        Christie

@davidota I know right?! After seeing my disabled/chronically ill friends and family members screaming their stories into the void for so many years it’s delightfully shocking to have this much attention on this community.

My mom got her third poke the day after it was authorized.. walk-in, just like you guys. She said she felt a bit crummy but had no fever or any major side effects. I sure hope this one gives her (and y’all) some antibodies!!

Robert M
      Participant

Did the same yesterday, walked into Walgreens and got the booster. It was their first and they had an issue figuring out the paperwork but all ended well.

A little sore today and lethargic, same as second shot.

Christie

@robertm That’s great! Would you mind sharing if you are pre- or post-transplant?

Robert M
          Participant

Pre. But unlikely because of lung cancer history only 2 years clear and weight.

Jim Dawson
      Participant

Has anyone with a suppressed immune system been tested for antibodies after there second shot and what are the results. My brother-in-law said he was tested and his blood work doesn’t show any antibodies growing in his system. If they are not growing, I have to believe a third shot isn’t going to help either. Any comments?

Christie

@jim-dawson a friend of mine with a heart-and-double-lung transplant did get tested and she had a scant amount of antibodies after two. The data are showing something like 12% of transplant patients are getting any benefit from two shots, but the likelihood of forming antibodies does increase with boosters. Transplant patients are on the highest doses of immune-suppressing medications so they will be the hardest group to protect, but those on the pre-transplant end of PF should have better luck getting antibodies. I’m not a doctor, though, so I’ll try and dig up some more research later tonight and report back.

What I do know is that my mom’s transplant team at UCSF is involved in the research and they have weighed the risks vs benefits of a third shot (risks being possibly triggering organ rejection), and have decided the potential benefits of a third shot are worth it. That speaks volumes to me.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account