• car

June 3, 2024 at 12:58 pm

How old are you Charlene? Are you on OFEV? I was told I can’t take any supplements while on OFEV which really upset me because my naturalpathic Doctor said certain enzymes are anti-fibrotic so was excited to try them. I’m 70 with mild IPF but am on oxygen for exertion. Looking forward to your reply.

• Carlene A. Chamberlain

June 5, 2024 at 6:35 am

First time flight from west coast to east, used my inogen 5 on the flight. Had to pre-register for the flight in order to bring the portable unit on board, there is a delay on check in as the TSA check the unit and such. I’m on 3 liter at home stationary but 4 to 5 if I’m up walking, cleaning, house chores. Delta advised not all electrical 110 outlets function on the aircraft, however one flight the plug in functioned. I brought 1 extra spare battery, the portable I use is only 1 liter if up to 5 or 6 on the machine, but I kept it at #3 and It was fine. While waiting for the next flight, I used the outlets to charge while waiting. The problem was landing in Atlanta, huge airport was getting from one flight to another. There was no way for me to speed walk to next gate, so I was able to use a wheelchair. I also brought the car charger. I’m told the cabin pressure for normal is similar to 8k ft elevation for non PF person, but I didn’t have an issues. I was not able to bring an 02 tank so just be aware, only the portable unit was allowed. Safe travels my fellow PF friends

• JSR

June 6, 2024 at 5:28 pm

I have traveled with the Phillips Respironics Simply Go machine. I need a machine that can do both continuous and pulse oxygen. It is large enough that I need to use the included cart. I need to use it at night with my cpap and while at altitude in the airplane. I was lucky and had electrical outlets that worked so I did not have to swap batteries during the flight. Also, oxygen users always get a window seat. I love looking out the window. I needed to have a letter from my doctor explaining my need to use it on a plane. I had to register with the airline ahead of time which means I did not get my boarding pass until I physically checked in at the airport. I had to go through a more thorough inspection at TSA because they check the machine very carefully. I have an Air Mini cpap for travel that also needs to go with me. I have become a very efficient packer, but I do find the whole process rather tiring. I prefer traveling by car now.

• Adele Friedman

June 6, 2024 at 6:14 pm

Pre-arrange for wheelchair transport from and to all gates and leaving airport. I had a HAST test (high altitude simulation) which showed I don’t need oxygen at normal pressurization of planes, equivalent to being at 6 to 8000 feet above sea level. That’s if stationary, sitting. If you use oxygen overnight, pre-arrange with your oxygen supplier to provide it at your destination and tanks if you need them for activity.