• Suzy42

December 18, 2020 at 8:30 am

Depends where you live and how far down the pecking list, I’m hoping for February latest, will keep my fingers and toes crossed

• Charlene Marshall

December 19, 2020 at 11:04 am

@golfpi

Hi Pete,

Really good question! I’m not sure about the answer, but I’ve been wondering this myself as well. Here in Canada, one of our transplant centers just released a statement on the vaccine and immunocompromised patients (including those post-transplant) which essentially stated they don’t have any information at this time to give patients and families. I think our priority is long-term care workers and then acute hospital settings and their staff. If anyone hears anything from their medical team about the vaccine for IPF patients, please share!

Sincerely,
    Char.

• Bill Kelly

December 22, 2020 at 3:37 pm

If you are unfortunate enough to live (like I do) in Nevada, the governor has spoken. Over 65s and people with health issues are lower in priority than incarcerated felons and well behind 30 year old teachers. (Their union, after all, makes large contributions to his party) I can’t see getting it before April and that’s optimistic.

If you are a peasant it is up to your state government. The Congress of course comes first. AOC has her’s.

A friend in England who is 83 had a shot last Friday. He was told only age was considered in the over 80 group though he is a cancer survivor. A church near his home was taken over an used for mass vaccinations.

• Bill Kelly

December 22, 2020 at 5:29 pm

To those who thought I might be joking, the following is from today’s Las Vegas R_Journal:

“When can I get the vaccine?

It depends on your job and your risk for severe illness.

According to a tiered systems in Nevada, vaccine is being made available first to frontline health care workers at acute-care hospitals who are at high risk for contracting the virus.

In the coming week, vaccinations of both residents and staff will start at long-term health care facilities such as nursing homes. CVS and Walgreens pharmacy personnel will be administering the shots.

Other health care workers also are near the front of the line, with those who are part of the community’s critical infrastructure and at heightened risk of exposure, such as law enforcement and public safety personnel.

Starting in January, the state expects to have enough vaccine to begin inoculating a second tier. That includes teachers and child care staff, higher education faculty members, essential public transportation workers, essential retail workers and prison inmates.

Vaccinations for this tier are expected to continue into February, according to the current version of the state’s vaccine playbook, which is subject to change based on federal recommendations as well as changing local needs.

A third tier includes those with underlying health conditions as well as people 65 and older.

The final tier is younger, healthier individuals.”

• Charlene Marshall

December 22, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for sharing this, I’m curious to learn how COVID vaccines are being administered in different parts of the world. Canada sounds very similar to Nevada in terms of prioritizing who gets it first: frontline workers in both hospital and long-term care homes. This makes sense given the outbreak numbers and high risk of transmission. I think next will come the adults within large populations in an enclosed space, ie. teachers or education professionals. I can’t say that for certain as it hasn’t yet been announced here, but I think the idea of 65+ and those with underlying conditions being later in the sequence of vaccinations is because we’re able (should?) be self-isolating and keeping ourselves safe. This is just my thought, truly no confirmation to say this with certainty, but our risk of transmission is lower because we’re not in high populated areas for work or in largely enclosed spaces. This is my suspicion as to why we’re “later” on the list, but I don’t know for sure. Not saying it’s right or wrong either, Lol.

Thoughts?
    Charlene.

• Bill Kelly

December 23, 2020 at 12:18 pm

Hi Charlotte
    At 1st sight this makes sense but then I think “Wait a minute.” If you are a 30 year old teacher in good health you are very likely to have the mildest of symptoms, or none. I’m hearing the so-called experts (Including the CDC) telling us that the way to deal with this pandemic is to, first, protect the vulnerable. This is not what this tier system in Nevada does. The schools and Colleges are closed BTW. As for vaccinating 30 year old imprisoned child molesters before you and me. Sorry but I’m not that politically correct.

I think most people agree that healthcare workers and residents of long term care facilities should be first priority. However here is an extract from the CDC web page:

“Groups considered for early vaccination if supply is limited
    Before making an official recommendation, ACIP considered four groups to possibly recommend for early COVID-19 vaccination if supply is limited:

Healthcare personnel
    Workers in essential and critical industries
    People at high risk for severe COVID-19 illness due to underlying medical conditions
    People 65 years and older”

Of course, within these guidelines are huge subjective choices. What I fear most is political interference rather than cool, scientific appraisal.

BTW I take heart from your survival even if you are young enough to be my grandchild.

• Bill Kelly

December 24, 2020 at 8:56 am

Anybody live in FL? Heard the governor is prioritizing 70+ for vaccinations.

• Suzy42

December 24, 2020 at 10:24 am

Here in the UK

1. over 80’s and those in front line medical staff first. Also those in care homes.

2. 75 yrs and over

3. 70 yrs + and those extremely vunerable with health issues (IPF).

4. 65 yrs +

And so on.

It seems quite fair here, just wish they would hurry up.

• Carlo De Pellegrin

December 29, 2020 at 11:00 am

QUOTE FROM GLOBAL TY POSTING JUST NOW DEC 29 AT 11:52

Gen. Rick Hillier, the head of Ontario’s vaccine distribution task force, laid out the three-phase plan again providing numbers of Ontarians expected to be vaccinated based on vaccine supply.

Hillier said Phase 1 will be completed roughly by the end of March with about 1 to 1.5 million Ontarians being vaccinated — which includes health care workers and First Nations.

Phase 2 will then begin in April and have another 7.5 million people vaccinated with 15 million doses. Phase 3 will then begin late in the summer which includes anyone who wants to get a vaccine can get one.

COPIED FRON ONTARIO SITE JUST NOW
        PHASE 1
        Residents, essential caregivers,
        and staff of congregate care
        settings for seniors
        Health care workers
        Adults in First Nations, Métis,
        and Inuit populations
        Adult recipients of chronic
        home health care

PHASE 2
        Expanded for health care
        workers, long-term care homes,
        retirement homes, home care
        patients with chronic conditions
        and additional First Nation
        communities and urban
        Indigenous populations,
        including Métis and Inuit adults.
        PHASE 3
        All eligible Ontarians

LOOKS LIKE MOST PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WOULD BE IN PHASE 2 IF YOU ARE IN ONTARIO

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, Carlo

• Charlene Marshall

January 1, 2021 at 10:22 am

Thanks so much for sharing this @carlo ! For those who reside in Ontario, it is very helpful information and it may guide others in various provinces, or even states, to find out what their area is doing in terms of the vaccine roll out. I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

Sincerely,
        Char.

• Charlene Marshall

December 28, 2020 at 10:59 am

Hi Bill,

You certainly raise good points, thanks for the reply! I agree with you about the imprisoned and don’t believe they should be vaccinated before those at risk due to underlying health conditions. I haven’t heard anything about that process here in Canada yet (the prison systems) but now will be keeping an eye open for it.

I think the concept of “protecting the vulnerable” is widespread in all states/countries, but I think they’re looking at doing it by vaccinating others before us, in order to stop the transmission and reduce the overall cases, thus protecting us in a different way. I guess if they vaccinate people who are at higher risk of exposure and transmission (ie. those working with people who are sick then possibly transmitting it to other environments as a carrier, before they are even symptomatic and know they’re sick) the overall cases should decrease, thus indirectly reducing our risk. It seems a bit backwards, but I wonder if that is how they’re looking at it? I’m truly just going with what I *think* their thoughts might be but certainly don’t know for sure. I think their point is that we (as a vulnerable population) shouldn’t be out or exposed but we need to live as well.

While I agree the “30-something year old teacher” should only get mild symptoms, there is still a long-term risk they don’t know about. Right now, the virus is too young for us to know the long-term damage it might cause, even in those with a mild case. Perhaps they’re looking at this too?

Looks like we’d fall within the 3rd recommended group of people to be vaccinated. Hopefully that is the case!

Thanks so much for writing, this is a really interesting topic and it’s so nice to be able to respectfully read different view points on the COVID vaccine. Lastly, if it helps: I know several people who have survived COVID-19 with IPF now, some pre-transplant and some post. I know this isn’t something we want to have happened, but it has happened and they have done quite well 🙂

Sincerely,
      Charlene.

• Bill Kelly

December 29, 2020 at 4:14 pm

I do not look at prioritization as a sociological problem but a scientific one. In the US and most of the world, 80% of all deaths are people over 65. If you want to get the death rate down you vaccinate old people, as Florida and Texas are doing. This also cuts the hospitalization rate hugely. The existing patients will get better treatment and the staff will have relief from overwork. I don’t say that it has be exclusive, we can walk and chew gum at the same time. But you have to put the effort where it does most good.

I know there are some people who are ruled by emotion and they will find ways to disagree with this but it is the mathematically sound solution to bring the epidemic under control quickly. The CDC apparently agrees with me as they put 75 year-olds near the top.

In the real world most 75 year-olds also have serious underlying problems so we will often get 2 for 1.

• Charlene Marshall

January 1, 2021 at 10:18 am

Hi Bill,

Really good points, thanks so much for sharing! I hadn’t thought about it that way either, the “2 for 1” idea. So much to learn and consider when we’re open to various opinions/thoughts. Here’s hoping those in charge of the vaccine roll-out consider all these options, and do whatever it takes to rid (or reduce) this virus quickly!
        Happy new year 🙂
        Charlene.

• Susan Howitt

December 24, 2020 at 2:47 am

Here (France) if you live in fairly isolated communities you haven’t got a chance of getting vaccinated until way down the line. All health workers come first, and so they should, then care homes and the like, then city folk with health problems, then city folk.  I have been told that I am not suitable for the vaccine because I have allergies (mainly to medications) I feel living where I do I can keep myself safe and as I can no longer get to the big city hospital where I have been being treated I feel I am fairly safe.  Yep, hospital told me that they have no facilities for refilling my newly acquired portable liquid oxygen back pack, even portable tanks wouldn’t be enough now as my O2 requirements when making an effort are now fairly high, as I am away from home at this hospital for usually at least 6 hours, though I do qualify for a free ambulance but that would cost over 500€ each trip of one and a half hours, one way, what a waste of public funds!!!!, no, hopefully I can now be permanently registered with a more local hospital where I have been treated lately, much happier about that.

Good luck every one in getting vaccinated soonest.  Sue

• Bob

December 24, 2020 at 10:52 am

As an over 80 (just!) and with IPF Brit I had my first jab on the 15th of December with the booster booked for the 5th of January.

• Charlene Marshall

December 24, 2020 at 2:30 pm

@bob-osborne

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for sharing that with us. How was your experience with the first jab – any side effects? I’m glad you were able to get it and hope the booster goes well on Jan 5th!
    Merry Christmas.
    Charlene.

• Bob

December 26, 2020 at 9:06 am

Well Charlene, the jab itself was a total non-event. I didn’t feel a thing and only had a slightly bruised feeling in the upper arm for a day following.

The big part of the event for my small town Doctor’s office was fitting in a large number of elderly in the line, the difficulty in uncovering an upper arm wearing winter clothing and the requirement to wait 15 minutes before leaving just in case there was a reaction.

For those who believe that it is in any way risky just take a look at what is happening to those who haven’t been vaccinated. Sadly, we are losing thousands every day who haven’t been treated yet. And those that survive don’t seem to recommend Covid as something to be taken lightly!

My second booster jab will be on the 5th of January. Lets hope everyone will soon be protected.

Bob

• Charlene Marshall

December 27, 2020 at 11:30 am

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the vaccine Bob! I am also looking forward to receiving it when I can. I hope the booster on the 5th goes just as smooth.
      Take good care,
      Charlene.

• Carlo De Pellegrin

December 26, 2020 at 9:55 am

Good morning Charlene and all others,

I live in Richmond Hill, just north of Toronto, Canada ( for our American friends) and have just now again checked the MacKenzie Hospital Richmond Hill web site and no reference yet to seniors with or without other factors (IPF, for example) on any possible schedule until later on the winter, ( not defined ). Until mid January scheduling the front line workers, medical, long erot care,residents and staff, indigenous people all getting priority…

My guess is that we not not hear anything more until mid/late January for schedule to begin late spring/ early summer.

Carlo

• Charlene Marshall

December 28, 2020 at 10:34 am

Hello @carlo from a fellow Canadian!

Sounds like MacKenzie Hospital is similar to the UHN. They just released a statement as well, saying they don’t yet know when those with chronic conditions, including respiratory and/or transplant patients and recipients will receive the vaccine. It sounds like the process is similar in many places: those at high risk for exposure and transmission to others (hospital workers, long-term care staff, etc) will be first and that will take sometime. I continue to “hide” until then, as I can safely do so at home and am thankful for that. Please let me know when/if you hear anything else and I will do the same.

Happy new year 🙂
      Char.

• Carlo De Pellegrin

December 28, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Hey Charlene, Where’s home? That’s a great background on your photo…where’s that? I certainly will post any info I hear or see about covid vaccine.

• Charlene Marshall

December 30, 2020 at 10:13 am

Hi @carlo,

I’ll send you a direct message about where home is for me, you’re probably familiar with the area! 🙂

The background in my picture is the Sydney Harbor Bridge in Australia. I climbed it in 2015, it was so thrilling and one item I was very proud to cross off my bucket list. As you can see, the next time I returned to Australia was with 02 so I couldn’t do this again, really glad I had the opportunity to do it while I could. Beautiful country Australia is, I can’t wait to get back there.
      Charlene.

• Frank Loeffler

December 29, 2020 at 2:34 pm

As a Missouri resident I contacted the Covid unit at Missouri Health Dept.  They had no useful information but suggested that I call Kansas City Health Dept.  A very gracious supervisor said that she had no information but asked me to call her back.

So, my next unanswered question is:  Can my pulmonologist have any input at the hospital level of administration.  This maybe a venue may be the shorter route.  My question of the pulmonologist office is not yet answered.

On the news and on the ground info is that the larger number of vaccine admins will be done by CVS and Walgreens.  As a 1b classification, I asked if I could go on their waiting list.  They have never heard of a waiting list.

• Charlene Marshall

December 30, 2020 at 10:09 am

Hi Frank,

Please let us know if your pulmonologist feels he/she can have any input on expediting the vaccine for you based on your diagnosis. We may follow suit in trying this ‘route’ as well if so 🙂
      Take care,
      Charlene.

• Bill Kelly

December 29, 2020 at 3:46 pm

NV is almost unbelievable: Below is the actual plan available on the net but not publicized in any way. To save you the trouble the earliest anyone here will be vaccinated is 30th group, after 12 in tier 1, 15 in Tier 2 and released prisoners and homeless in Tier 3.

Disgusting is the word that comes to mind. It is entirely political. They didn’t even look at the CDC recommendations

Last updated 12/1/2020 9:46 PM
    Nevada COVID-19 Vaccination Playbook Version 2.0 Page | 21
    FINAL: Tier 1 Critical Infrastructure Workforce by Priority Order
    1. General Medical and Surgical Hospital 39,720
    2. Long Term Care Facility Staff & Residents 36,751
    3. Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Hospitals 1,446
    4. Emergency Medical Services Personnel 5,560
    5. Frontline Public Health Workforce & Volunteers 1,077
    6. Laboratory Workers 2,050
    7. Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians 7,143
    8. Outpatient and Home Health Providers 67,302
    9. Nevada Department of Corrections (NDOC) Staff 2,671
    10. Law Enforcement and Public Safety 9,350
    11. Deployed and mission critical personnel who play essential role in national
    security 281
    12. State and Local Emergency Operations Managers/Staff 100
    Total 173,451
    persons
    FINAL: Tier 2 Critical Infrastructure Workforce by Priority Order
    1. Education and Childcare Staff 50,558
    2. Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Faculty 6,896
    3. Essential Public Transportation 9,976
    4. Agriculture and Food Processing 11,951
    5. Essential Retail Workers 67,494
    6. Logistics and Supply Chain 52,843
    7. Utilities and Communications Infrastructure 19,565
    8. NDOT and Local Emergency Road Personnel 2,831
    9. Community Support (food banks, DETR, WIC) 19,756
    10. Airport Operations 4,018
    11. Depository Credit Institution Workforce 8,672
    12. Mortuary Services 686
    13. Remaining Public Health Workforce 1,536
    14. Additional Critical Infrastructure 1,278
    15. NDOC Inmates 12,500
    Total 270,560 persons
    FINAL: Tier 3 People at Increased Risk for Severe Illness or of Acquiring/Transmitting COVID-19
    1. Transitional Housing for Released Offenders 163
    2. Homeless 7,554
    3. People with Underlying Health Conditions that are at Increased Risk for Severe
    Illness from COVID-19 909,918
    4. People with Underlying Health Conditions that may be at Increased Risk for
    Severe Illness from COVID-19 916,793
    5. Elderly Nevadans Age 65+ without Underlying Health Conditions 207,603
    6. Remainder of NSHE Staff 117,110
    Total 2,159,141
    persons
    FINAL: Tier 4 Healthy Adults
    1. Healthy Adults, 18-64 years 620,035
    Total 620,035 persons

Bill

• Brian Sowter

December 30, 2020 at 4:09 am

Dear all

Whopee! I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last week. Booster dose on 7th Jan. My GP here in the UK put me on the priority list because I am on Ofev. Also aged 81.

No side effects whatsoever. I intend to use a N95 mask when I go out for food shopping etc because the protection is not 100%. Wondering how my younger wife can get it so we can go out to restaurants together. I wish I could give her my second dose.

Booked a cancellable holiday in France in May to get some sun. A bit optimistic but good to have a plan to do something other than zoom drinks.

Best wishes
    Brian

• Charlene Marshall

December 30, 2020 at 9:50 am

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the COVID vaccine, Brian! I’m so glad you were able to get it, and hope the booster goes just as well on Jan. 7th.

Happy New Year!
      Char.

• Susan Howitt

December 30, 2020 at 5:10 am

Hi Brian

Great you have had your vaccine.

Hope you manage to get out here in May. Wouldn’t want to be anywhere else in the world than here.

cordialement  Sue

• Suzy42

December 30, 2020 at 5:39 am

Well done Brian, I wonder when I will get it, 68 yes and on Ofev. I’m down the list because of my age.

• Brian Sowter

December 30, 2020 at 8:26 am

Hi Suzy

I was told by a doctor once that most medical treatment in the UK it goes to those who press the hardest. In this case I called to doctor in February to see if he would put me on the vulnerable list last year so I could get priority deliveries from the supermarkets which he did. The vaccine priority seems to have been an unexpected biproduct.

I think it would be worth calling the GP because the NHS process for getting people on the super vulnerable list if far from automatic. I think it depends on the individual GP/surgery how they do it.

I have not heard of any cases of Covid in people with IPF but I would imagine the prognosis would not be good. I hope you can be assertive with your GP.

Best wishes

• Suzy42

December 30, 2020 at 9:12 am

Thanks for your reply. I am on the extremely vulnerable list with government,  I get letters from Matt Hancock at every change, so that’s good. I spoke with my gp and she tells me a lot of red tape is holding vaccination up in the countryside especially where I live. So I think I will just have to wait. I have a blood cancer as well, so I really need this vaccine.

• Pete

January 2, 2021 at 8:08 am

I wonder why if the Covid-19 is so bad for everybody they aren’t vaccinating people 24 hours a day 7 days a week (24/7) ? I would have no problem going to an appointment in the middle of the night if that is what it takes to speed up the vaccination process.

• Mark Koziol

January 2, 2021 at 8:17 am

Hello Pete, I think there are some logistical problems that need to resolved before a full scale procedure is implemented. I knew it was going to be a cluster. Hopefully we will all get our vaccinations before the end of January. Let’s cross our fingers. Take care, Mark.

• Pete

January 2, 2021 at 9:41 am

I hear what you are saying Mark but it’s hard for me to understand when they knew a vaccine was coming over 6 months ago and there are people way above my pay scale getting paid to figure this issue out. I wonder where I can apply for this type of job.<span style=”color: #303030; font-family: open sans;”><span style=”font-size: 13px;”>.</span></span>

• Mark Koziol

January 2, 2021 at 2:00 pm

Hi Pete, I totally agree with you. The u.s. a. was supposed to have 20 million vaccinated before end of year but ended with 11-12 million vaccinated. A general in the army is the man responsible for the implementation. I think there are many problems happening at the state, regional and local level. At least in Ohio this what I am hearing. The governor made mention of this yesterday. I guess we have to be a little more patient and hope we get this soon. Take care, Mark.

• Bill Kelly

March 6, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Pete
      You never said a truer word. The health District here, had an appointment booking web site that a 13 year old kid would be ashamed of building. I have never seen anything as bad. This was for use by the section of the public least able to navigate it – 75 year olds.
      All they had to do was go to the existing websites of the commercial testing labs that every senior in the US uses eg Quest Diagnostics, and they would see an intuitive, bug free appointment booking site that has been in use for years without issues.
      When you’ve got a government job you are not held accountable for anything except picking up your paycheck and fat pension.

Having said that, the frontline workers – nurses, technicians etc. did an excellent job. The problem is the management. Imagine having 6 months plus to build the site and no-one in management ever tried it. I think it’s disgusting.

• Bob

January 6, 2021 at 6:52 am

Back to the UK situation: I had my second Pfizer jab last night. Slightly bruised feeling in upper arm today but no other symptoms. I hear that I will have a high degree of cover in just 7 days post the second vaccination. So far some 1.5 million treated leaving just sixty million, including my wife, to treat!

Bob

• Charlene Marshall

January 6, 2021 at 9:02 am

Thanks for sharing, Bob! I’m so glad you got your second dose and will have better protection within a week’s time. Here’s hoping the rollout of the vaccine continues as quickly as possible so we can achieve that ‘herd immunity’ folks are talking about. Thanks for letting us know what your experience was like, and I’m glad you don’t have any symptoms.

Cheers,
      Charlene.

• Suzy42

January 6, 2021 at 7:33 am

Glad you got  your 2nd vaccine as government is trying to stop the 2nd one. Waiting for mine still

• Marianne

March 5, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Hi all –

Just received my 1st dose of Pfizer vaccine yesterday.  Arm is a bit sore.  Had loose bowels this AM and diarrhea this afternoon.  Not sure if this is a side affect of the vaccine or not.  I was eligible because of age 65+ in middle of February.  I was able to get on several wait lists but no vaccine was available.  They recently got more vaccines to Ohio so I was able to secure a vaccination slot.  I get the next vaccine near the end of March.  Pretty sure Ohio is going mostly by age but did add take appointments this week to people from 18-60 with certain medical conditions.  Hoping system settles down and no more gastrointestional issues.

Marianne

Page 1 of 2