Tagged: ,

• High protein vegetarian meals.

Posted by loralee-bailey on May 23, 2021 at 7:31 am

I’m having trouble coming up with healthy vegetarian meals that are high protein but don’t include fresh or raw vegetables or cheese/dairy. Any other vegetarians with PF/IPF who have been able work within the dietary guidelines for Ofev?

joe-suarez replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 14 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • marianne

May 25, 2021 at 11:39 am

Hi Lora Lee –

Have you tried any receipts by Forks Over Knives.  They are vegan so not vegeterian.  I have found some really good recipes on their web site.  I was eating strictly vegan for awhile, felt better and lost some weight.  I got away from it.  I am not found of soy so that limited some of my meals.  I ate alot of beans for protein.  I even carried black beans and kidney beans with me to restaurants to add to salads (this was pre-Covid).  But salads are basically raw vegetables.  Hope this helps you a bit.

Marianne

• rand-obrien

May 25, 2021 at 2:57 pm

the Moosewood “family” of cookbooks have a wealth of good vegetarian recipes.  Excellent and always work.

Rand O’Brien

• steve-dragoo

May 28, 2021 at 1:36 am

@loraleern Hi Lora – if you Google high protein vegetarian recipes you will find many free ones. Lentils, quinoa, most beans, and barley can be combined in lots of interesting ways.  I make my own tortilla and with the beans and salsa and sometimes cashew cheese is a good one. Make extra and freeze it…

Steve

• linallbert

October 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm

My husband has IPF.  I have the same problem. So far he can eat potatoes ,no peelings, string beans(cooked), asparagus, white rice.  No beans, too much fiber!  I look at a lot of dairy free products also.

• linallbert

October 24, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Steve you can eat spicy things without a problem on Ofer.

• steve-dragoo

October 24, 2021 at 6:48 pm

@linallbert

Hi Linda,

I have always eaten hot peppers with little effect before and after IPF(5 years now) I am not on any IPF meds (Ofev/Esbriet) but take omeprazole because it supposedly helps IPF scar tissue due to any acid reflux breathed in. There is an article about it on the forum someplace.

Try looking at lentils, split peas, for a stew – very healthy with some other veggies in it. Also quinoa.

Stay well…

Steve

• claudiam

January 3, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Hi,

I am very new to this website / forum.  My husband has IPF and has started on OFEV a little over a month ago.  The OFEV website recommends a BRAT diet to calm some of the side effects which is fine in the short term.  However, is not healthy on a long term basis. I’ve been looking at alternatives on different IPF websites including this one, but noticed that certain foods that are recommended on IPF websites are not recommended for someone on OFEV.  Yet, there do not seem to be any recipes for people taking OFEV.  If anyone can help / recommend where I can find recipes specifically for someone on OFEV I would be really grateful.  Thanks.

• linallbert

January 4, 2022 at 7:21 am

My husband has IPF and on ofev. I had the same problem. His lung doctor said he was going to check into the diet and that none of his other patients were eating like that. He told us that he could eat anything as long as he didn’t have any problems with it. He has bee n on ofev for 2 1/2 months and the only thing he has a problem with the cabbage. He doesn’t really drink coffee only every once in awhile and he doesn’t eat chocolate. But no stomach pains or diarrhea so far except with cabbage
    Good luck

• Jeff Taylor-Jackson

January 4, 2022 at 10:03 am

Hi all,

I have IPF, diagnosed April 2021. I have been a vegitarian since 1983.

I am due to start Nintenidab treatment when it becomes available to me here in England February 14th.

I am shocked to read the side effects from the OFEV website:

OFEV may cause serious side effects, including liver problems, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, heart attack, stroke, bleeding problems, and a tear in your stomach or intestinal wall (perforation).

The most common side effects of OFEV are diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, liver problems, decreased appetite, headache, weight loss, and high blood pressure.

I am not looking forward to that.

Kind regards

Jeff

• christie

January 6, 2022 at 3:40 pm

@cleavergreene Jeff, many people experience some of those side effects, as you can see in this thread, to varying degrees. Others have no problems, and I hope that is the case for you. In case you do have issues, know that it might be temporary as your body adjusts. If it does last, you can talk to your doctor about trying a lower dose for a while until your body is used to the medication and increase again after a time. Many people seem to have side effect relief that way. There are tons of posts about it on this forum should you want testimony 🙂 Just know that you have options to adjust and it’s normal for it to feel sort of like a trial and error process at first.

• steve-dragoo

January 4, 2022 at 2:36 pm

@loraleern

Hi Lora,

I don’t take Ofev so not sure of their requirements.  There are several high protein foods such as various types of beans (some are better than others), lentils (many recipes), and quinoa (also many recipes).  The last 2 are pretty easy on the stomach.  Hope that helps some.

Stay well,

Steve

• linallbert

January 4, 2022 at 5:42 pm

Steve are you on any meds for IPF?

• steve-dragoo

January 4, 2022 at 7:27 pm

@linallbert

Hi Linda,

I would be if I was stateside but I only have meds/supplements for other ailments – and supplements for IPF.  Have a concentrator and looking at portables but hope to get stateside soon as I would try Esbriet.

There are many things we can do to help mitigate some of the symptoms, however.

Stay well,

Steve

• darlene-cochran

January 4, 2022 at 3:23 pm

Hi,
    I lost a lot of weight and needed to eat more proteins so I had to get a bit creative. I found using lentils with almost anything helped. Mix and cook with stewed tomatoes, soak and add to any kind of casserole, split peas and lentils make a delicious soup. You can enhance with flavors of all types: such as Italian, Mediterranean, Mexican, or even German/European flavors. I make muffins and add quinoa to the batter, makes them a bit heavier but adds protein. Also adding egg whites if you can have eggs increases protein intake. Just a thought to consider. Ofev was not the med I could stay on, but several of my acquaintances who are on OFEV find it great! So always worth a good try. May the search be a good part of the journey. Regards, Darlene Cochran

• linda-maguire

January 4, 2022 at 5:17 pm

Lora Lee,

I have IPF but am not on anti-fibrotic meds at present.  However, I occasionally have meatless meals and found an enchilada recipe I love.  It is called Poblano & Black Bean Enchiladas by Lala & Zoe.  It includes cheese & some heavy cream on top, however I think you could easily eliminate those.  It is a very tasty recipe if you like Mexican flavors, & it’s  easy to prepare.  You can google the recipe for ingredients & directions.  The recipe doesn’t give quantities for the spices, but you can estimate to your taste.  Best wishes!

Linda Maguire

• linallbert

January 4, 2022 at 5:40 pm

Are you suppose to be on a vegan diet?  My husband was told to eat chicken and some beef but chicken is very high in protein. I had also seen that on ipf  website

• mike-fryman

January 11, 2022 at 3:57 pm

I am unfortunately IPF also, for about 2 years.  I have developed allergy, i guess, but i get very conjested when i eat dairy.  So cheese, butter  and milk products are out.  I do beans, i still eat lean hamberger, though not a great meat eater.  Love nuts, pistachio’s have good protein.  Have tried tofu, but it is all in the preperation and i am not very good.  Lets all hang tough, i am on ofev and doing fair, have lost about 30 pounds but a lot to my decrease in eating.  I do have an occasional beer though i find i can’t enjoy the more stout ones any more and now go pretty light.  I do miss pizza and fried foods but considering the alternatives i am doing well.  Good Luck and health to us all.   Mike

• bill-s

January 12, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Hello All,

I have been on 300 mg of Ofev daily for over a year and have been casual with my diet, eating whatever my wife decides to make for us.  I would say we eat healthy with all varieties of meats, poultry, and fish as well as all varieties of vegetables.  I will usually  have a cocktail before and after dinner.  I manage Ofev’s side effects, to a very good degree, with Imodium A&D.

How do you manage your social situations?  Do you tell your hosts that you are now vegan and will bring your own banana and rice bowl?  How do you discreetly use the bathroom in their home if/when the need arises?  Thank you, Bill S

• linallbert

January 12, 2022 at 4:55 pm

My husband has been on ofev now for 4 months and so far has been able to eat everything but cabbage.  He is doing good so far. He walks two miles everyday to keep in shape. Seems to help   Hold on hopefully they will have a cure one day

• robert-griffin

January 15, 2022 at 2:51 pm

LoraLee,

I too could not find any information about OFEV specific foods to eat either.  I found that eating food recommended Anthony William seems to agree with me. He has a live cooking show on Amazon TV (Wednesdays at 3 pm EST). He is also is on YouTube, Facebook, and, Rumble along with a few other social sites. You may find some foods and recipes you like and can use from his information.

• linallbert

January 15, 2022 at 2:57 pm

The doctor told my husband to eat what ever he wanted unless he had a problem with it. So far he can’t eat cabbage. He also said of all his patients on ofev none of them are on any special diets. I was so confused reading on the diet. I told doctor he has to have some veggies   There wasn’t but two that he could eat on it. That’s when he told us to eat what you want. Maybe check with doctor

• joe-suarez

April 6, 2023 at 9:05 am

Mexican salad can be a high-protein vegetarian meal if it is made with protein-rich ingredients such as beans, quinoa, tofu, or tempeh. However, if the salad is made only with vegetables and grains like rice, it may not be as high in protein.

Some high-protein ingredients that can be included in a Mexican salad are:

• Black beans: 1/2 cup of cooked black beans contains about 8 grams of protein.
    • Quinoa: 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa contains about 4 grams of protein.
    • Tofu: 1/2 cup of firm tofu contains about 10 grams of protein.
    • Tempeh: 1/2 cup of tempeh contains about 15 grams of protein.

By adding a combination of these ingredients to a Mexican salad, you can make it a high-protein vegetarian meal. Additionally, you can also include other sources of protein such as cheese or nuts.