Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums PF Communities PF Life: 50+ Just started on Prednisone. Would love to hear how predisone had helped you orno

• Just started on Prednisone. Would love to hear how predisone had helped you orno

Posted by Mark Selbert on August 11, 2021 at 8:38 pm

Would love to hear your experience with predisone . Just started. Has it been beneficial to you or not.. less coughing? Breathing better? Any major side effects that stopped you from taking predisone? I can put up with a moon face vs the coughing attacks I get each morning and after eating. Not fun.

Best regards Mark Selbert

Robert B replied 2 years, 7 months ago 13 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Jim Dawson

August 12, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Mark, I have been on 10 Mgs for 3 years. It is suppose to help with inflammation. But it did nothing for my cough. I tried both esbrit and ovey. Sorry for the mis-spellings. They gave me some relief, but I couldn’t tolerate the side effects. I was put on Mofitil and that has given me the most relief. Your Pulmonary Dr. should evaluate what will work for you.

• Jim Wiggins

August 17, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Was placed on Prednisone for IPF diagnosed as inflamation. After one year and 13 compressed vertebrae i was taken off, but the damage was done. Losr 20 pounds and 5.5 inches of height. Rib cage now rests on hips, cannot walk without pain. Never again will i take Prednisone.

• morton campbell

August 18, 2021 at 5:17 am

hi  jim

i started taking Prilosec twice a day and it cut my coughing about 80%.  i recently heard from several forum members Nexium works even better.

good luck

don c

• Christie Patient

August 19, 2021 at 9:08 pm

@jimpris Jim, I am so sorry you had that experience with prednisone. It is a blessing-curse of a drug. It sounds like your reaction was pretty extreme on the latter.. How are you managing the lasting side effects from it? Does anything like physical therapy help? Sending hugs.

• Charles Dean

August 17, 2021 at 12:51 pm

I was put on Predisone because I had not appetite and was loosing weight from not eating. This did help with my not being Hungary but don’t  know if it has done anything else to help with cough or breathing. My wife was on Predisone for years and caused her to gain a bunch of weight because it made her feel Hungary  all the time. She was on it because of a severe hive issue.

• Mark Selbert

August 17, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Just started my second week. First week 40 mg per day. This week 30 mg per day. Next week 20 mg per day etc.

Well this has been a wonder drug for me so far. Definitely helping with my lung disfunction inflammation. Coughing going down . Not much phlegm. Can breath better . When I do breath in hard I let out 2 quick coughs. Will be interesting if I get a bit better each week and then when my taking predisone is over in three weeks get tested CT scan etc and see if I can stay off predisone or continue.

Best regards Mark

• Bruce Hawn

August 17, 2021 at 6:12 pm

I had a very thorough Pulmonolgist. A Broncoscopy revealed I had a very high white blood cell count,  This meant that I could have had hypersensitivity pneumonitis (“HP”), which mimics IPF’s honeycombing pattern you see in CT scans. I was put on IV prednisone 1,000 mg per day for 3 days in a row every four weeks for 3 months. At the end of which I was given a lung function test to see if I had improved function. A 15% improvement (minimum) would have indicated HP. Unfortunately for me there was very little improvement., which confirmed my IPF diagnosis. As for the effects, it knocked me for a loop. Within 24 hours of finishing each round, I crashed for 3 days and got back to mostly normal on the 4th day.  I believe it aggravated osteonecrosis I had in left shoulder. Tolerable, but now I have pain where I had none.  Other than that, I have not suffered any other adverse reactions (to my knowledge).

• Bruce Hawn

August 17, 2021 at 6:14 pm

I had a very thorough Pulmonolgist. A Broncoscopy revealed I had a very high white blood cell count,  This meant that I could have had hypersensitivity pneumonitis (“HP”), which mimics IPF’s honeycombing pattern you see in CT scans. I was put on IV prednisone 1,000 mg per day for 3 days in a row every four weeks for 3 months. At the end of which I was given a lung function test to see if I had improved function. A 15% improvement (minimum) would have indicated HP. Unfortunately for me there was very little improvement., which confirmed my IPF diagnosis. As for the effects, it knocked me for a loop. Within 24 hours of finishing each round, I crashed for 3 days and got back to mostly normal on the 4th day.  I believe it aggravated osteonecrosis I had in left shoulder. Tolerable, but now I have pain where I had none.  Other than that, I have not suffered any other adverse reactions (to my knowledge). The negative result ended my experience with prednisone.

• Rose Beck

August 17, 2021 at 7:26 pm

I am on 20 mg day for about a month now haven’t really been able to tell any difference. I’m interested in others success if any.

• Mike McCutcheon

August 19, 2021 at 2:20 pm

I have had a chronic cough for 8 years. Nothing had helped till prednisone started on 80mg per day for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks Dr dropped it to 60mg then 2 weeks later down to 40mg. Cough is now back and constant runny nose. Feet and ankles really swollen but hanging in

• Jim Dawson

August 22, 2021 at 12:43 pm

My pulmonologist put me on mofetil. That seems to get rid of 80% of my cough. As far as the runny nose goes nothing has helped except marginally,  Mucinex. I use a lot of three ply tissues. Ha! I take Mucinex both in pill form and liquid form. I usually only drink 2 teaspoons per day but I take 1200 mg twice per day.

• Mike McCutcheon

August 19, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Also diagnosed with Interstial lung disease on oxygen 18 hours a day. Going in to Columbia with the lung transplant tests next week. They will let me know if I qualify after 2 days of tests

• Marsha

August 20, 2021 at 10:46 pm

I was diagnosed with IPF in 2018. I was put on prednisone, slow taper, for an acute exacerbation in early 2020. I’m now taking 10 mg per day. I’m 60 and have now been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. The prednisone did improve my breathing a small bit but I’m not convinced this was worth the trade off. If you are taking prednisone, be sure to see an endocrinologist and have bone scans to track your bone health.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    August 24, 2021 at 10:45 am

Prednisone’s main function is that it lowers inflammation and therefor might help some with their PF progression. It is not as effective in IPF patients as it is for PF patients. When taking more than 10mg daily for longer periods the side effects are more common. When it lowers inflammation the result could be slightly better breathing and O2 saturation in some cases. Its mainly a case by case as to who it does or does not help. Esbriet and OFEV are still the only real medicine to help IPF patients slow down progress.

• Deborah

January 12, 2022 at 12:10 am

Predisone can cause bone loss u will need calcium supplements and it also causes hair loss and also makes your appetite  go through the roof.

The only advantage I seen when I was on 40 mg a day is I had lots of energy.

• Robert B

January 13, 2022 at 9:20 pm

I’ve been taking 10 mg of prednisone for two years. I coughed every day for many years. I also take aurithromiasyn (?) 250 mg m-w-f. The two together have improved my breathing tremendously. Years ago I was on very large doses and gained 45 pounds in two months. I quit taking it but it might have saved my life. Bobby