Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Healthcare Questions Low oxygen because I don’t like what it does for my stamina.

• Low oxygen because I don’t like what it does for my stamina.

Posted by Harry Harrington on September 15, 2023 at 6:20 pm

I was put on oxygen four years ago. I noticed when I did air that my stamina was down. I laid off air unless I really needed it. My new put me on 5liters. This has drained my ability to do things.

My question is exactly what am I doing by not following Drs. Instructions. Will my low oxygen cause more destruction? I have been fighting it for 10 years.

John Fraze replied 1 week, 2 days ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Steve McLean

September 19, 2023 at 2:17 pm

Certainly not a doctor but 5lpm is high enough to indicate o2 saturation can get pretty low. That is low enough to be suspicious that without supplemental oxygen your stamina will continue to get lower

• John Fraze

April 23, 2024 at 2:55 pm

There is such a thing as oxygen toxicity. Too much oxygen is as bad as not enough. You can google it you may be astonished. I recommend that you ask your doctor to do an overnight test to determine just how much oxygen you actually need.

• Maria Donihoo

September 19, 2023 at 2:32 pm

Hello Harry!

I can’t give you advice but I will keep you in my prayers! I’m in my third year of IPF and I stopped taking Ofev because it made my blood pressure skyrocket and I got very dizzy! I didn’t like feeling that way. I’m starting to feel better little by little and it’s because I changed my diet- zero carbs! I felt horrible for two weeks and now I’m feeling better (I’m 7 weeks without carbs) ! My skin is clearing up, my skin tags have disappeared and my energy is up! I’m actually doing Carnivore and it has reversed people’s diabetes, skin diseases, weight loss, and many other issues! I’m hoping it helps with my IPF! I will let people know of my progress as the months go on! There are many videos on YouTube of doctors who are carnivores if you’re interested!

Take care and God bless!

Tina Donihoo

• george-poulsen

October 24, 2023 at 3:51 pm

I just found out that my low stamina and low oxygen and tiredness and 25# weight loss and some night sweats and things since May 30,2023 were actually determined by my cardiologist (after the last one left) to be in part a need for a stent in an artery. Had open heart surgery years ago and had forgotten about a few more arteries that were partial clogs.

Just had stent two weeks ago and believe I may have subjectively 10% more energy, awareness ,now. Had not thought that there might be collateral issues other than the IPF that gave me similar problems. But the logic was that the lungs can’t process C02 if the heart can’t pump it to the lungs efficiently. Cardio pulmonary hypertension was the decision. Maybe IPF gets blamed too easily? Maybe an experienced cardiologist is a more important team member than we think? Maybe this will extend my downward spiral just a bit? Hope so.