Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge The Awkwardness of Wearing A Mask In Public

Tagged: , ,

• Nan

March 15, 2020 at 9:40 am

We are seeing on the news people around the world wearing masks. My son in China tells me that if you go out without one they tell you to put one on. Here were are getting mixed messages about to wear or not to wear the mask even from my employer, the ministry of health. Yesterday I went to get dog food. The store is in a strip mall with a grocery store and there we tons of people coming and in out and I saw no masked. I wore one into the store, there was only one other person it there. The cashier asked me why I had a mask on. I told her I had a lung disease that makes me vulnerable. After I left I thought it odd that she was doing nothing to protect herself, no gloves, no gown and touching the debit machine. I felt extremely awkward. I plan to stay home as much as possible. I told my manager I am working from home and they are good with that. Stay home people and stay safe.

• Chuck Harrison

March 15, 2020 at 11:13 am

Hi Charrlene ,

i remember having this talk with you many months ago . Since October 2019 I’ve worn a mask nothing exotic just plain surgical mask  ( all different colors ) but wear them just the same . I have never once noticed nor can I say I can care less what others think of me . My life , not theirs , my comfort not their . I believe now with this virus people should start wearing them . I expect designer masks will be out soon .

miss you much , and think of you often

Chuck

• Dennis Rowe

March 17, 2020 at 3:06 pm

Hi Charlene,

i just celebrated my 1 year anniversary of my bi-lateral lung transplant!

I’ve been wearing masks in public for many months, since my release from the hospital.  Initially I was very conscious of people looking/staring at me.  Not so much anymore.  I still sometimes mention to them I’m not contagious, and I’m only trying to protect myself.

Little children sometimes look scared when they see me.  I always give them a cheerful hello, and tell the older person with them I’m not contagious. In the current time frame the mask is more important than our own self consciousnesses!

Thanks for all you do for us in your column!  And remember, the only cure for Pulmonary Fibrosis is a transplant!  Hang in there!!

Dennis

• Charlene Marshall

March 19, 2020 at 8:40 pm

@chuck-harrison

Hi Chuck,

Thanks so much for writing to me and sorry it’s taken me a few days to reply. I’ve been a bit unwell myself. You are never far from my mind though, sending you much love and thought daily as I know this disease has turned quite cruel on you my friend. How are you doing now? I know that amazing spirit of yours is probably shining through still, even though I know how hard this must be for you! You’re very right that we needn’t care what others think of us wearing a mask, especially with news of this virus. Just so very scary! Thinking of you lots Chuck and missing you too. Please chime in when you can!

Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

March 19, 2020 at 9:01 pm

@dennisr13 ,

Hi Dennis!
    Congratulations — thank you so much for writing to us and letting us know how you’re doing 1 year post transplant. This is excellent news, I am so happy for you! I may message you privately about the experience, as I am facing that as well. I hope this gift of life has been transformative to you!

I think on some subconscious level I tell people “I’m not contagious, I’m protecting myself” to make myself feel better, along with those around me… I did it many times on the plane ride home from California as people looked at me in an odd way. It’s interesting what we do when we perceive the reactions of others. I try to say it doesn’t bother me, but I think maybe in a way it does.

Thanks so much for writing Dennis and congrats again! So happy for you.

Char.

• Miltont

March 24, 2020 at 9:19 am

I have a high degree of “not giving a damn ” I guess but I am not the slightest bit self-conscious about wearing a mask. If I need to protect myself that is my business and no-one else’s. Be strong, people. You must care for yourself.

• Mark Koziol

March 24, 2020 at 9:39 am

Hello Miltont, I agree with you 100%. Thanks for chiming in, Mark

• Dennis Rowe

March 24, 2020 at 3:01 pm

Charlene,

I thank you for your reply to my post!

If you care to private message me as you go through your preparations for attaining a transplant, and post transplant recovery, feel free to do so…I will be happy to help any way I can…

Stay strong,

Dennis

• Charlene Marshall

March 24, 2020 at 7:18 pm

@dennisr13

Hi Dennis,

Thanks so much, that really means a lot to me! I am a bit overwhelmed with information right now – have you heard, a few transplant centres are not doing organ transplants right now with the COVID-19 pandemic? It’s crazy! Once I get my head a bit more “back in the game”, I will be sure to reach out. Hearing about the experience, along with suggestions/tips/tricks from others is always really helpful. I appreciate your willingness to share with me.

Be well,
    Charlene.

Page 2 of 2