Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Deep Tissue (or red light) Laser Therapy

• Deep Tissue (or red light) Laser Therapy

Posted by Millie on October 15, 2022 at 11:04 am

Has anyone tried this red light therapy and, if so, has it been successful. I understand that these treatments break down collagen and reduce fibrous tissue. The treatments are done by physical therapists so you need a prescription from your pulmonologist. So everyone, let me hear your thoughts.

kaye-maree-hollingsworth replied 1 year, 1 month ago 20 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • nina-merendino

October 18, 2022 at 3:54 pm

I just bought one on Amazon. Going to start using it. No need for prescription!

• harletta-carathel

October 18, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Nina, how is it used?

• dianaj

January 23, 2023 at 6:36 pm

The ones online are not Class IV lasers which is what the chiropractors have. They may not be as strong, and not penetrate as deep. But please let us know if you feel a benefit from using the one you bought. You never know…

• steve-dragoo

October 18, 2022 at 11:46 pm

@zebra4018
    Hi Millie, et al.,

It has to be a class 4 laser and there are some here who have used it for a long time. Search for laser topics on the forums.  Also Dr. Andy Hall is an expert and he has IPF. He has the correct protocol.  I used it for a few months in Virginia and did not need a prescription.  It did help but I left the USA and there is no class-4 over here.

Stay well…
    Steve

• Millie

October 20, 2022 at 10:28 am

Amazon has the red light lasers and they look more like heating pads and are reasonably priced. Hooga, which is highly rated, has panels that are free-standing and though more expensive are still within a price that is affordable. I’ve read that this red light laser therapy increases collagen. (It is also supposed to break up the scar tissue.) That is not something I want to do as the problem with PF is too much collagen being produced by the body and forming the scar tissue in the lungs. Cam someone out there with expertise in this area straighten me out on this important fact.

• dianaj

November 7, 2022 at 12:12 pm

I’m not sure, but I don’t think it’s that the body has too much collagen, it’s that the body takes the collagen for scar tissue.

• marian-kremer

January 26, 2023 at 9:18 pm

The lungs are made of collagen. Rheumatoid arthritis attacks collagen and causes scarring. I don’t think having more collagen would be a good idea.

• dianaj

January 23, 2023 at 6:36 pm

Steve how soon before you felt relief? My dad has been having it done three x week. He had 23 sessions. Before that he was getting the hand-held class 4 laser for about a month, also 3 x week. He is a little less fatigued, but not sure if it’s from the laser.

• conni

October 21, 2022 at 10:24 am

I am also very interested in laser therapy. Don’t want to increase collagen for sure. When we have used it in the dogs it was for healing wounds etc,so why is this different?

conni borwick

• coby-knox

October 21, 2022 at 12:29 pm

I have been using one for five months. Mainly for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Myopathy. I think it also helps my Pulmonary Fibrosis, which has had no change during the period.

Currently use a Mitoredlight 1500 panel daily for 20 minutes front and back.

• priya

October 21, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Hi all! We have been getting Deep Tissue (Red light) therapy for my dad for months now and it has been significantly helping. We are currently getting it done via a Physio Clinic. I have a 6pg study, I can share on this, so please DM me and I can email to you!

• ilan-gruenwald

January 27, 2023 at 9:03 am

dear Priya,

Your experience with deep tissue laser therapy sounds very interesting and as I am with IPF for 3/5 years now and progressing, I would really like to try it out. could you send me the article you mentioned, and do you know the name of the device  used at your physio clinic?

Thank you

best wishes.

Prof Ilan gruenwald

• kaye-maree-hollingsworth

January 31, 2023 at 5:15 pm

Hi Priya,

Could you please email me the 6pg study?

Thank you so much in advance.

Also I was wondering if you knew the device that they are using on your Dad at the Physio Clinic please?

Thank you again.

Warmest wishes,

Kaye Hollingsworth

• barb-eisele

February 1, 2023 at 7:35 am

Hi Priya,

I’d appreciate it if you would send me the article.  My husband has PF, probably IPF, dx last year and we are looking at options.

Thanks, [email protected]

Barb Eisele

February 6, 2023 at 9:01 am

Hi Priya,

Still hoping you can email me your study please?

Many thanks,

Kaye-Maree 🙂

• curt-strickland

November 8, 2022 at 2:50 pm

HI,

I KNOW A GUY WHO HAS IPF AND HE’S BEEN JUSING IT FOR AROUND SIX MONTHS, AND HIS BREATHING TESTS HAVE IMPROVED. HE STILL HAS A PROBLEM WITH COUGHING.

• richard-d-gueard

November 12, 2022 at 10:24 am

is there a way  i can contact your friend?

• ramon-lopez

January 24, 2023 at 4:15 pm

I was taking daily supplements of collagen before being diagnosed with IPF.  Wonder if he collagen supplements had anything to do with my IPF.

• dianaj

January 25, 2023 at 9:38 pm

I don’t think that would matter. I think the body would take whatever collagen is there, and there is always collagen. In other words, I don’t think it matters how much collagen is in your body. I asked my dad’s pulmonologist if it would be okay for him to take collagen supplements for extra protein, and he said it would be fine.

• lizmanualosteopath

January 24, 2023 at 9:37 pm

Hello, I have a class IV laser. It emits near infrared light which decreases pro inflammatory cytokines and increases anti inflammatory cytokines. In terms of efficacy, I had significant ground glass opacities, now I don’t… I feel amazing.

• dianaj

January 25, 2023 at 9:37 pm

Hi Liz, can I’m just wondering what your symptoms were before the laser? My dad just had two months of it, but hasn’t felt much improvement, if at all. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t done something good. He has fibrosis after doctors took the “do nothing” approach with his COVID pneumonia. What was your diagnosis?.

January 31, 2023 at 5:20 pm

Hi Liz,

Could you please give me the brand of your class IV laser?  I have the same significant glass opacities that you have described and would love to try it out please.

Thanks so much.

Take care,

Kaye Hollingsworth

• claire

January 24, 2023 at 11:17 pm

Hi Everyone, I use red light therapy for several reasons and love it. Platinum LED Therapy Lights has a wealth of information on their site you may want to read. (Not sure why some of you are calling it a laser. It’s not.) So make sure you educate yourself before buying anything. I believe because it works on a cellular level and reduces inflammation, it has to help. Platinum BioMax  is the one I own.

• dianaj

Hi, do you know what the Biomax does different than the other light therapy panels. It’s so expensive.

• claire

January 27, 2023 at 9:02 am

Not really that expensive if you just get one panel, plus you own it so you’re not paying for each visit. From what I understand, consistency is most important so you’d want to keep doing it. I use mine 5 to 7 days a week for 20 minutes each time. That’s all you need for your lungs/face area. Sorry I don’t know about the other type (laser?).

• dianaj

There is a red light laser therapy, and red light therapy. Apparently they work in different ways, so it’s worth trying both of them.

• chukegee

January 25, 2023 at 4:27 pm

Hi ya’ll, My nephew has found a Quinear at the Sinoriko store that has a Red Light therapy device and it reads 13 pcs X 650n power +4 timer that’s handheld. Does that sound like what you all are talking about?
    Chuck

• rhonda-kramer

January 26, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Interesting. I’ve been using red light therapy for years, but of course, not the medical grade laser. However, my neurologist was facing carpal tunnel surgery until his friend, a chiropractor, lent him his laser, which did break up the tightness and my neurologist was able to avoid the surgery. I asked him about using it for my lungs, so he consulted with the other Dr. and they said no. It would not penetrate deep enough. This has been about 7-8 years ago, so it sounds like there has been more development in the penetration of medical red light lasers.

• dianaj

January 27, 2023 at 9:01 am

It could be that the lasers are better, or, that they know more about them. I’m glad many chiropractors are now using laser and red light therapy for lungs.

• chukegee

January 26, 2023 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Rhonda for your input. I see my Pulmonologist tomorrow (Friday) and will ask her about the laser stuff. Chuck

• luis-pernia

January 31, 2023 at 7:31 pm

Hello, I understand from my wife, with the treatment with esbriel. they cannot carry sunlight and less infrared on the skin. I don’t know what you guys can think.