• Esbriet and coughing

Posted by Cecil Zlotnick on June 30, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Hi All on the forum.  I’m interested to know the type of cough associated with IPF.  I have a cough with phlegm but think it is from reflux.  It occurs mainly when I’m lying flat on my back in bed at night.  I sleep on my side – can’t sleep on my back.  I’m on Esbriet and don’t know whether it causes reflux resulting in the coughing, or whether the cough is from the lungs.  Any ideas about it?

PFCareGiver replied 1 year, 5 months ago 9 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Jeffrey Carver

October 12, 2022 at 7:17 pm

I have a similar cough. It’s the same now as it was before I started Esbriet about 2 months ago. It has improved a little since I got serious about following at least one of the things they tell you about reflux: I no longer eat within a couple of hours before going to bed. (Dang.) I also notice that I’m more likely to start coughing if I’m off the oxygen for a little while.

• Kathleen Ryan

October 18, 2022 at 4:19 pm

Hi.  I also have gerd reflux, and I know that it produces phlegm the  day after a night  with reflux.  A dry cough is daily with me.  Like you, I don’t eat a few hours before bed, and it seems to prevent a lot of it

• David

October 15, 2022 at 2:02 pm

I have a cough, but I attribute it to sinus drainage.  I’ve had sinus drainage for years before being diagnosed.  My cough is more “clearing my throat” of phlegm than anything else.  When I had the flu or a rhinovirus my cough came from my lungs, I know what that sensation is and it is different from clearing sinus drainage.

• Harletta Carathel

October 18, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Cecil, I too cant sleep on my back. I know those who had covid had a easier time breathing on their stomachs. I take Ofev but have the same cough and phlegm as you. Some days the coughing and phlegnm is bad, especially first two hours of the morning, and some days it is not. Wish I knew why some days are better.

• Terry Bass

October 20, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I’m using promethazine (aka PROMETH/COD)to eliminate the cough.  Diagnosed with IPF 10 months ago (1/2022).  Using ESBREIT and holding my own.  I learned to take my pill during each meal.  1/2 the meal, take my pill then eat the rest of the meal.  I also have GERD, but take OMEPRZOLE to eliminate the reflux.

I had a cough initially, but my cough has been eliminated with this cough medication promethazine.

TBASS

ALBUQUERQUE, NM

• Sheila D

October 20, 2022 at 5:23 pm

Yes Esbriet has similar side effects like cold etc. I take an over counter antihistamine that helps

• Scott Johnson

November 20, 2022 at 7:32 pm

Hi all. I was diagnosed with interstitial pulmonary fibrosis in March 2021. I had been having symptoms prior to that, none of the doctors found the problem until they had a pulmonologist check me. He detected the crackles right away. Oxygen level ok. He had me do pulmonary rehab that summer and started me on 50mg/day prednisone. Energy level improved. Was referred to a pulmonologist at Mich Med (Univ of Mich). He confirmed the diagnosis but wanted the prednisone level reduced – currently at 20mg/day and holding. Suggested Ofev or Esbriet but did not give me a perscription. Finally got a prescription and started Esbriet two weeks ago. Was having issues with my coughing all through this, but it seems to have gotten worse after starting Esbriet. I feel tired all the time. On 3l oxygen 24/7.

• Midge Sanford

November 22, 2022 at 3:00 pm

I have a dry cough (I cough throughout the day) and am on Esbriet. I used to cough more when lying on one pillow when ready to go to sleep, but have added a pillow and my cough is much better as a result. Worth a try!

• PFCareGiver

November 22, 2022 at 3:58 pm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Been living with my mom for 18mths caring for her. She is on #3.5 oxygen and extreme fatigue. Is out of breath just walking from one room to another. She coughs daily with phlegm and needs to get it out. She eats dinner at 5:45 and goes to bed at 11:30 or later and thank the Lord she can sleep without cough. She seems to be getting worse. Cough drops help a lot.</p>