• loud coughing

Posted by Malcolm Mann on April 11, 2024 at 8:48 pm

Hi Male, 74, lives in Tasmania Australia, I’ve had IPF since 2015, & have been on Pirfenidone since 2019 & started using a POC for exertion last year.

Does anyone have to cough really loudly while trying to clear their throat.

Were looking at selling our semi rural house because of the garden maintenance etc and moving into low maintenance unit/ apartment type housing.

I’m worried my roaring will terrify the other residents.

cheers Mal Mann

Charlene Marshall replied 1 week, 4 days ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Chander

April 16, 2024 at 9:26 am

Yes friend I am 78 and diagnosed with IPF in Dec 2019. Initially was on Nintena and now on Phirbindon 801 TDS for three years or so because Nintedenib induced loose motions. I also cough very strongly and it is disturbing for many specially in Europe. But I am lucky to be staying in my own house in India and Indian people are more tolerant.. but friend don’t bother about what others will think. Once you tell them about your disease, I am sure people will understand. If they don’t, it is their problem , what you do and how you do in your own house is none of their business. Happy stay In your new home

• David Bennett

April 16, 2024 at 3:15 pm

I sometimes have tenacious, hard to clear mucous and find that Mucinex 12 hour (Guainefesine ER) and increasing fluids for a couple of days resolves it. Plain Mucinex, not with pseudoephedrine or dextromethorfran

• Patricia Meadows

April 18, 2024 at 11:37 am

Hi Malcolm.

I was diagnosed with PF from an autoimmune disease (which is still not identified) back in April, 2013. Every day I cough and have to clear my throat frequently. I hate it, but am also aware that others might find it annoying and a bit alarming (esp. since COVID!). I live in a concrete-construction apartment building, and so far have had no complaints. I have post-nasal drip which contributes to the need to clear my throat, and year-round “environmental allergies” according to my allergist, so take an antihistamine every day and use Flonase or a generic nasal spray, which seem to kick in a couple of hours after I take them. That way I feel OK about being around others, especially in public, because I am not coughing and clearing my throat as much as I do early and late in the day.

Best wishes, and hope that helps!

– Patricia

• Carl Stidsen

April 19, 2024 at 12:50 pm

Yes . I’ve been diagnosed for 7 years now , and often have to loudly cough ( into my sleeve) . People often think its a sneeze and say “Bless you” . Usually it’s a series of three coughs . Just another way of Nature saying “you’re still alive – accept the Blessing”

• Charlene Marshall

April 21, 2024 at 11:01 am

Love the reframe associated with the cough @Carl Stidsen ! Thanks for the smile this morning.
      Char.

• george-poulsen

April 19, 2024 at 1:17 pm

I’m 84 with Resistive type IPF. Coughing can be an issue. I find if I sit straight up in a chair instead of lying even a bit back in a recliner it makes a big difference in how Phlegm goes down my throat from drainage. I also find that lying on my right side only at nite with head on pillow stops coughing in bed, but only after I have taken my usual 1 ounce of Guaffenesin which is branded Mucenix. It should have nothing else in it and can be ordered right on Amazon in the larger bottles, since I take it whern I get up to cleat the phlegm quickly and also when I go to bed to be able to sleep.

I have also found that a simple old style pink Benedryl, (Diphenhydramine-I think) on going to bed dries Phlegm and drainage things up for sleeping and has a side benefit of helping me to sleep as well.

One last item…… I happen to have had numerous surgeries over many years and still take a very small 1/2 tablet of a 50mg Tramadol usually for pain along with a Tylenol and the two of them not only take care of back issues but they also seem to stop my coughing (probably from neutralizing the feeling of phlegm making me cough?) for the first half of the day. I can also say I’ve had the nagging cough and throat clearing for many many years and it is a blessing when you suddenly realize that you are not coughing as much.

As a last statement at 83 years, I have noticed that when I am silently sitting straight up at my computer and working silently , and not talking much to my wife or anyone else, that I realize I’m not coughing. Go figger. It takes an out goiing breath to talk and to cough>>>?

George