Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ruth Edwards
      Participant

Has anyone or is anyone currently taking NAC supplements and do you find it’s helping?

Hi Ruth,

I am tagging @steve-dragoo here to see if he has any thoughts on this. I think he may have spoken to this elsewhere in the forums at length, so I’m sure he will be happy to direct you to where that information has been posted or elaborate on it for you 🙂
      Charlene.

Steve Dragoo
      Participant

@ruth

Hi Ruth,

I have looked at a lot of supplements but not NAC, that I remember anyway. (getting old(er)). Comparing it to Serrapeptase (a proteolytic enzyme) removes mucus, cleans blood, and may help remove scar tissue as it dissolves dead protein (food, pills, scar tissue) and has been used for other areas of the body for the past few decades. I have read several times that lung scar tissue cannot be reversed but not convinced that is completely accurate.

NAC sounds interesting in the small brief I read and may enhance the serrapeptase impact but serrapeptase must be taken far away from food and pills. NAC is one of the great enzymes that help produce other beneficial antioxidants in our bodies. After I googled it, I found HealthLine mentioning 9 interesting benefits. I am glad you brought this up because it can be added easily to a supplement regimen in lower doses. Others I know are looking at Rosavin that was recently posted as a news item on PF News.

This is the top reason why PF News is such a helpful gift when we all have eyes on potential aids and share them. I know IPF will have remedies one-day but none of us has time to wait.

Thanks,

Steve

JillT
      Participant

My personal experience with taking NAC wasn’t very positive – firstly, the smell that emanates from the capsules is revolting and after a few weeks of taking it, one day with almost zero warning it made me violently nauseous and resulted in vomiting. So, the remaining capsules I had went straight in the bin! I also had a non-stop headache while I was taking it. The experiment lasted less than a month for me.

Steve Dragoo
      Participant

@jill-tanner.

Hi Jill,

What dosage were you taking and were taking NAC with food or other pills?

Steve

JillT
      Participant

The dosage was 600mg 3x day. I think at various times I would have taken it with other pills and sometimes not. Don’t remember anything different about the day that it made me throw up, but it was within about 15 mins of taking it. When I googled for side effects, both the smell and nausea were mentioned so I decided to stop taking it.

Steve Dragoo
      Participant

@jill-tanner

I read somewhere max dose recommendation is 1200 mg but I know nothing about NAC and how it is supposed to help IPF improve.  It is an enzyme and many may have plenty or react to it.  Hopefully you will find something to help you. – Steve

JillT
      Participant

When I did a bit further research after the throwing up incident, NAC is supposed to be particularly helpful for COPD  and other phlegmy lung conditions.  My experience of IPF is that my cough is primarily dry and unproductive, so it may not be a useful supplement for me anyway.

Rob
      Participant

Hello Ruth

My mother had IPF and she believed NAC helped her.  I also have IPF and was told by a top researcher(Dr David Schwartz- just got a $10 million IPF research grant)that NAC in pill form shown little effect but recommended I inhale the liquid form(Acetycysteine or Mucomyst) by nebulizer.  I had a terrible persistent phlegmy cough that has virtually disappeared in the 2 years I’ve doing this and very little IPF progression(🤞).  I take Esbriet as well and recently added Serrapeptase.

Good luck

Rob

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have been taking NAC for about 5 years, since my initial diagnosis. The dosage I am supposed to be taking is 600 mg 3 times as day but I am horrible at  remembering the noon dose so I take 2 600 capsules in the morning and 2 at night.  Sometimes with food sometimes without. Always with other pills and water.
      I don’t object to the smell and it has never made me sick. I have never had a wet cough so I can’t judge by that.  I am not able to tell if there is any effect from the NAC but I will continue to take it just in case it is doing something. My pulmonologist asks me at every visit if I am still taking it.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Charlene Marshall. Reason: formatting
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account