Pulmonary Fibrosis News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge High Humidity Can Be A Hurdle for Patients with PF

• High Humidity Can Be A Hurdle for Patients with PF

Posted by Charlene Marshall on June 22, 2021 at 8:44 pm

For many of us living with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), the high heat and humidity can make it increasingly difficult to breathe. I spent a lot of time outdoors last month and really noticed the impact of the humidity on my lungs. The high pollen count likely contributed to my breathlessness as well, but I suspect it was mostly these record temperatures! The cooler air has arrived for a couple of days where I live, and its been a welcome change to have the windows open and the air conditioning off.

I’ve written about the impact of heat and humidity on the lungs of a patient living with IPF/PF a few times, in previous columns. I wanted to share those columns in one place as we approach the humid summer months:

How I Deal with Heat Since My PF Diagnosis

Melting Heat and Humidity Becomes Another Hurdle

Finding Joy When the Weather Keeps You Inside

Don’t get me wrong: I love the summer months! In fact, summer is my favourite season, but my lungs don’t always like the humidity and allergies that come with it.

How do you manage humid temperatures and high heat as a patient living with IPF/PF?

morton campbell replied 2 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Tina Casini Weedon

July 6, 2021 at 10:13 am

I live in FL. & I’m experiencing the affects more strongly this year. Exhaustion has got me tired & napping more then I would like.
    I’m fortunate to have a pool in our community, so to combat the heat I do daytime activities at night. (not being much of a morning person)
    If there is no thunder or lightning I will go to the pool even if it is raining, also ride my bicycle at night.

• morton campbell

July 27, 2021 at 3:28 pm

itotally agree about the heat and humidity.
      the cold effects my ipf lungs even more than the heat.
      are you on esbriet or ofev. if not try and find a way to get on it.

• Clarence

July 6, 2021 at 1:01 pm

Hi, I live in southern Ontario, summer here can have many high humidity days.the only solution I find is to stay in during these very hot and humid Days. I haven’t found any other solution. The humidity makes it harder to breathe. I was diagnosed back in January 2020. From what I read it is only going to get worse as time moves forward. I haven’t meet my lung Dr. In person do to pandemic.

• Joy Hoffmann

July 6, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Will be going to,Utah for 19 days and very concerned re heat and high altitude

any advice on how to cope with IPF?

• morton campbell

July 27, 2021 at 3:31 pm

be careful of both. i went to Sheridan, Wy for a week and my lungs were totally affected.

• Joy Hoffmann

July 6, 2021 at 3:00 pm

Oh another thing

i had a horrible 8 hours of stomach cramps and diarrhea after taking 150 of OFEV on a rather empty stomach.

only had a hamburger  and French toast that day

so everyone be sure you eat a good meal.

I usually eat more and then can tolerate the OFEV

• Christie Patient

July 8, 2021 at 1:41 am

@holly do you have any advice for Joy on dealing with PF at high elevations?

• Christie Patient

July 8, 2021 at 1:00 pm

From Holly (Christie’s mom):
      Hi, Joy,
      I live at 6000′. When I was diagnosed with IPF, I asked my local pulmlnologist if we would have to move to a lower elevation. The answer was “no.” I did have the advantage of having adapted to the altitude: having a higher Hemoglobin than I would have at sea level. I can`t remember feeling any different, or better, at sea level. As a visitor to high elevation, you may experience the symptoms tnat many healthy people feel:fatigue and headache. I would guess that, if you use supplemental oxygen, your pulmonologist will tell you to use whatever setting you need to keep your O2 sat in the correct range. So, having a pulse oximeter with you at all times might be a good idea. Adjust your activities to keep those levels where they should be. Take naps if you need to, slow down on hikes or walks, stay well hydrated, and probably avoid alcohol. Check in with your doctor before you go for his/her recommendations. Have a great time!

• Randy

July 12, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Hi Christie and everyone. Had to sign in and make a comment on this. I live in an area known as high desert. Not high like mountians, but higher then what you think of desert. I used to got to Denver quite often to visit my kids and grandkids, but now with IPF, my doc said I cannot because of the altitude. To get over the Rockies I would need to go up 11,000 feet, which is more then double where I live. He said I would need a t ruck load of oxygen putting out at least 10 to make it. As far as humidity, don’t have much here, around 15-20% at the most. But the heat……that is my killer. We have had 100+ for almost 3 weeks now and it is just as hard to breath in that as humidity. We have always used swamp coolers with no problem. With this continue heat, isn’t not cutting it. Anyone else having this problem with the dry heat? Everyone, take care and have a great week.