• Book Club

Posted by Katie Bagshawe on April 9, 2019 at 8:27 pm

I’m sure there are many of us on here who are avid readers, so I thought we could share some of our favorite books and let each other in on what we’re reading at the minute. I’m a big fan of fiction and non-fiction, and tend to go back and forth depending my mood.

I’m currently working my way through the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole series and am in the beginning of his fourth book, Nemesis. I’m partial to a bit of a crime thriller and this ticks all those boxes. I also love the Millennium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series) as well as anything by Alice Hoffman, she is absolutely my favourite author.

From a non-fiction point of view, I wholeheartedly recommend When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, Admissions and Do No Harm by Henry Marsh and Fragile Lives by Steven Westaby. All of these are medical autobiographies and excellent reads, I was fortunate enough to meet Steven Westaby at a literary event the year before last and he was very enlightening to listen to.

If you’re reading something then feel free to share a little review of what you thought and it might help me figure out what my next read is going to be! Also, if you’re ever in the UK and love literature, then be sure to get yourself to Hay Festival in Wales, it is a paradise for book lovers.

https://www.hayfestival.com/home

Charlene Marshall replied 3 years, 10 months ago 16 Members · 64 Replies
  • 64 Replies
  • Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 10, 2019 at 9:29 am

Katie
    Thank you for sharing your favorites. I’m also a great reader as I can’t imagine a single day without reading a few pages. I’m Currently (for several months) diving into the Diana gabaldon saga : Outlander. It’s a merge of historical fiction, romance, mystery, adventure and science-fiction (timing-travel).
    I’m also discovering (thanks to Charlene) the Sarah Knight :”Life-Changing Magic of not giving a F***”. Humor based lines
    about how to better Self-Care by pleasing yourself before pleasing evryone else !
    Jean-Michel

• Charlene Marshall

April 10, 2019 at 9:36 am

Ah @jeanmichelf, I forgot you said you purchased that book by Sarah Knight – it is also one of my favourites and really made me laugh. What do you think of it so far?

Charlene.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        April 10, 2019 at 9:58 am

@charlene-marshall just starting to read it … I Like the way it is written, you can just pick-up a few pages and come back later. On the substance (we already discussed about it) It’s important for our health to have a high level of self-care. For us, with our disease, it is important to avoid confusion between being selfish and taking care of ourself … Behind Sarah’s humor there is a lot of feeling of the borders and she is describing with a lot of humor situations.
        I already get a lot of laughs recognizing some 😉

• Charlene Marshall

April 10, 2019 at 10:01 am

So glad to hear this Jean-Michel! Yes, I agree: it is an easy read which makes it a really appealing book to me as well as I don’t have a lot of time to read these days so I also liked being able to set it down after reading a few pages. Glad it’s giving you some laughs – it did me too – among a very important topic. Once you’ve finished it, report back and let me know your thoughts. I may read it again, it truly was inspiring for me and the approach I take when dealing with stress in my life….
        Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 17, 2019 at 4:36 am

Outlander sounds familiar. Did they turn that into a TV show?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
        April 17, 2019 at 11:53 pm

@katiebagshawe yes they did ! If I am right Season 5 filming is currently underway … Heart of the story is in Scotland Katie 😉
        I didn’t look at it yet. I’m waiting to finish the book version and then it is typically replay I’m looking at when exercising on my elliptical trainer each morning 🙂

• Katie Bagshawe

April 21, 2019 at 4:23 pm

oO I will look this up as it keeps popping up on my Amazon feed to watch. I always have to read the book version first though so I might just have to get my hands on it!

• Tony Buxton

May 22, 2019 at 6:56 pm

At the age of nine , I developed very severe asthma. It was in 1940 during the last war. There was no cure of any kind. Bronchodilators were unheard of. Every night I held onto the bedstead trying to force air into my lungs until I passed out with exhaustion. I couldn’t play games. I couldn’t go to school, I was very weak and thin and at the age of 12 years old. I was dying. My family was crying and my school friends came to say goodbye. I could no longer eat, or move. Suddenly a doctor burst  in waving a strange -looking object. It had a rubber bulb on the bottom and a glass tube on top, he poured some liquid into this and put it in my mouth and told me to try and breathe. I took a tiny tiny breath and got immediate relief. I slowly recovered.

The years of trying to breath and force air into my lungs had given me double the normal chest expansion. I was to use this to free dive to great depths and amass a considerable fortune.

I have written my story in a book called “Freediving to fame and fortune”I would like some of you to read it and I have put it free as a download on Amazon books. (Actually $0.99, which is the Amazon cost to transmit it to you. I get nothing.) Like pulmonary fibrosis today. Asthma was incurable. But along came relief to me and many others, and perhaps one day a cure, may also come along for fibrosis. Even when I was dying I never gave up hope.

to get the free download, just go to my website http://www.tonybuxton.com and click on the book.

• Charlene Marshall

May 22, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks so much for sharing a bit about your story, although sorry to hear you suffered so intensely with asthma at such a young age, and went through so much until the day you got relief! Connecting that back to those of us living with IPF is so refreshing and gives us hope, thank you for doing that. I am going to look into your book, it sounds so interesting and kudos to you for writing it to give others hope. Thank you again for sharing Tony!

Kind regards,
        Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

April 10, 2019 at 9:29 am

Hi Katie,

Great topic, thanks for starting this thread for us. I also am an avid reader, but sadly don’t have a lot of time to do this anymore. It’s something I am trying to work on doing more of! My favourite author of all time is Jodi Picoult – I love the ethical dilemma’s in all of her books, and there is usually a health story that intrigues me as well. Have you read any of her books? I am currently reading Spark of Light and it is very good! I enjoy Alice Hoffman books as well, and you’re right – what I am interested in reading also depends on my mood.

I’ve read When Breath Becomes Air and loved it. Such a sad, but inspiring story… for those reading our comments, I recommend this read as well.

Thanks for starting this topic Katie, curious to hear what others are reading out there as well.
    Cheers,
    Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 10, 2019 at 10:38 pm

oO yes I think I did pick up  a Jodi Picoult book last year that I haven’t gotten round to reading just yet. I’ve heard good things about her, especially considering I like Alice Hoffman and it’s similar sort of writing styles!

I will look into the Sarah Knight book as I’ve seen it in the bookstore a few times and I love an easy humorous read like that if you need something to wind down to. I truly recommend This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, it’s also an easy read but absolutely hilarious. They are his memoirs of training up as a Doctor, and whilst there are some serious notes in there, most of really has you laughing you socks off at the situations and patients he’s had to deal with.

• Charlene Marshall

April 11, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Katie, I’ll definitely take a look at the one you recommended — an easy read, one that is humorous is good for all of us. Let me know what you think of the Jodi Picoult book as well. Do you remember which one you picked up?

Cheers.
        Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 17, 2019 at 4:42 am

I knew I had one by Jodi Picoult in my collection somewhere but I might have donated it into charity recently as I had a massive clear out in my bookshelves. I will definitely check at the library as I’ve seen her books in there many times, definitely need a new author to read as I always get myself into a rut obsessively reading the same one!

• Charlene Marshall

April 17, 2019 at 8:27 am

Oooh exciting Katie! Let me know which Jodi Picoult book you choose to read first, as I love so many of them and would be excited to hear what you think. My favourites of hers are: A Spark of Light, Leaving Time and Handle with Care. Of course I love all of her other ones too, but these are my top three. Enjoy and let me know which one you choose!
        Cheers,
        Charlene.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 10, 2019 at 9:37 am

Are you from Wales Katie ? @katiebagshawe
    I went there in April 2011 for holydays for a Road Trip. I remember perfectly the small willage of Hay-On-Wye with its books all around the streets ! Wales will stay for ever a great souvenir with so great landscapes on the coast and so welcoming and caring people 🙂
    Do our forum’s friends can imagine a small village with such a long name like : “LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch” and exammple of Welsh curiosities …
    Jean-Michel

• Katie Bagshawe

April 10, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Alas not from Wales but Derbyshire in England, about a two hour drive from Hay on Wye. It’s such a beautiful place though isn’t it? A whimsical little town in the middle of the stunning Brecon Beacons, we stayed in a cottage nearby a few years ago whilst the festival was on and had the loveliest summer days exploring the area. If you’re ever in the area then be sure to visit Derbyshire, very similar with the quaint little towns full of antique stores and lovely little knick knack things.

• Roger Coles

April 12, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Hi Katie ( @katiebagshawe ) yes I am a big Joe Nesbo fan and have read all his books as well the Stieg  Larson trilogy. The chap who took over

extending the series has also done a very good job, and I bought his second book on Book Depository and read it after tackling his first book on a flight from Hong Kong to Melbourne (Australia). Like Jean-Michel I can’t think of any day that isn’t enhanced by not reading, and I am off on a holiday to Sri Lanka today and have taken 4 books  Hard copy with me – as well as my wife’s Kindle which we’ve added another 4 – so we’ll have plenty of options. After many years I suddenly have re discovered Wilbur Smith in the past 3 months, and I really have to say while the plots have their short comings, he writes a rattling good yarn. I’ve got to the stage now in my life with the axiom of “so many books, but so little time ” and that if the novel doesn’t grab me in the first 12 pages its given to  St Vincent de Paul Society. All the best and I hope to be able to tell you of a bookshop that is more than 100 years old that I plan to discover when I visit an Indian town called Ooty.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 17, 2019 at 4:41 am

@roger-coles ,

oO if you like Jo Nesbo and the Stieg Larrson series, there was a similar one I got into the year before last by Samuel Bjork. I believe the third book in the series comes out sometime this year but I adored the first two, very similar in the Nordic crime thriller but again, it has some unique and complex characters mixed in. A nice easy read. https://www.penguin.co.uk/authors/1074424/samuel-bjork.html

You suggested Kindle and I was wondering what peoples verdicts were on e-reading? I have been tempted many times as so many people have raved about them, and I know it would make my room a lot less cluttered with books! Some people swear by them and some people (myself perhaps included) would be more akin to old fashioned paper style books. What is everyones opinion and any recommendations if I were looking into buying one?

• Charlene Marshall

April 17, 2019 at 8:25 am

Hi Katie,

Just a quick note about e-readers as I am trying to catch up on lots of posts today – I too thought I’d love one, but really didn’t like it! Just my opinion, as I am a big fan of paper books like you mentioned you are. I thought it would make life a lot easier having all my books digital and on one device, but I truly never used it. I have an iPad mini now so in theory I could use it for e-reading too (and just change the brightness/glare on it) but don’t use it either – can’t remember the last time I turned it on LOL. Others may have a better experience with e-readers, just wasn’t something I enjoyed, for what its worth 🙂
        Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 21, 2019 at 4:28 pm

As much as I want to think I’ll be someone who will adapt to e-reading, I just can’t but love the feel of advancing through a book! And I don’t really want to invest in something I might not use, but I’ll see if Amazon have any deals. It will always come in handy when I’m travelling.

How about audiobooks? A friend of mine swears by them when he’s driving but I don’t think I’d be able to concentrate enough, that being said though I do swear by podcasts which I guess is similar in the factual department.

• Charlene Marshall

April 22, 2019 at 7:07 am

Hi Katie,

Thanks for writing, it is nice to hear from you!
        Yes, I agree that an e-reader would come in handy for travelling. I suppose if I ever try to go this route, I’ll use my iPad mini which is the same size as an e-reader and you can adjust the backlight using a few different apps. Something to keep in mind when I go to Hawaii maybe as it’ll lighten my load a bit.

My friend also swears by podcasts, she loves them for in the car! I may try this out, but I’ll admit, I really love listening to music in the car when I’m driving 🙂

Take care,
        Charlene.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    April 13, 2019 at 12:15 am

Hi @roger-coles , I love your axiom, I get the same extended to everything : “so many things to do, but so little time”, and it’s perfectly applying to Books and Trips 🙂
    Enjoy your holiday to Sri Lanka and your books …

• Chuck Pefley

April 20, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Katie, Charlene, Roger, Jean-Michael,

I love this thread! Thanks for starting it @katiebagshawe,

I’ve always been a rabid reader but since being diagnosed with both IPF and lymphoma I find I’ve become even more voracious. Most of my reading is on my iPad with the Kindle app. A majority of my books come free via https://www.bookbub.com/welcome    as well as downloaded ebooks from my Library. The bulk of the titles I gravitate toward are mystery and suspense. I love the convenience of having my current library on such a convenient device.  I don’t find myself missing the feel and scent of paper.

The Canadian author Louise Penny and her inspector Gamache series in the border town of Three Pines. Also JK Rowling writing under the pen name of Robert Galbraith; a detective series far different than her splendid Harry Potter series.

Back to my book now …..

Chuck

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      April 20, 2019 at 11:31 pm

Enjoy your book Chuck @chuck-pefley … Happy Easter to all from Paris 🙂

• Charlene Marshall

April 21, 2019 at 8:43 am

Happy Easter Jean-Michel! I hope you have a wonderful day 🙂
        Cheers,
        Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

April 21, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Hello Chuck! Nice to hear of another avid reader. My Mum has an iPad actually so I might have a looksee at the Kindle app for now instead of investing in a proper e-reader. They turned the J.K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith series into a television show in the UK I believe, quite Sherlock style from what I remember and fairly interesting. Another one where I keep meaning to read the books.

I will check out the Louise Penny novels you suggested as I always need new recommendations for crime novels!

• Chuck Pefley

April 22, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Hi Katie ( @katiebagshawe )

Thanks for your info that the Galbraith Cormoran Stryke books have been serialized. I’ll have to see if the series is available online. Loved the books!

Regarding eReaders, my first was the Kindle Fire when it first came on the market several years ago. I shied away from the dedicated eReader in favor of a more capable device which could check mail and browse the web. The original Fire was the first of the color tablets from Amazon as well as being a good handheld size. When Apple introduced the iPad Mini I jumped to the apple ecosystem having been a longtime Apple user. Just recently I upgraded from an iPad Air 2 to an 11″ iPad Pro. These devices have become incredibly capable and bear only a token resemblance to the earlier units of just a few years ago.

Yes, I still pick up a book once in awhile, but the majority of my reading is via iPad or iPhone. If I get stuck waiting for something or somebody I can always open my phone and continue reading where I left off on my iPad … and vice versa.

Cheers,
    Chuck

• Mark Koziol

April 26, 2019 at 10:03 am

Thank you Rob, inserting the plug is ok, after all this is a book that can help others through the grieving process. When the release date gets closer please notify the forum. I also see there we have the opportunity to pre order. Thank you

• Michelle Lantis-Harms

April 30, 2019 at 12:36 pm

I have written down several suggestions from above and look forward to some summer reading! I am a true crime fanatic and have read almost all of Ann Rule’s books. She has also written a few on spirits and ghosts that were quite intriguing. Recently I have started looking more at self help and self healing books. Any suggestions for that genre would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Happy reading everyone.

• Katie Bagshawe

May 19, 2019 at 7:08 pm

I used to love reading books about self healing as a teenager, and especially now self care and mindfulness is popular in the mainstream it’s nice to learn more. If you like the Scientific/Psychology then I really recommend Ruby Wax and her books about mindfulness and mental health, they’re really insightful at understanding the scientific background of our mental health. I also loved a book all about the practice of Hygge which has enabled me to be more proactive in seeking mindfulness and happy moments.

• Katie Bagshawe

May 19, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Anyone who likes memoirs/biographies then I recommend Stephen Westaby’s second book called The Knife’s Edge, I binged it in a couple of days. Really heartbreaking true cases of his time as a cardiac surgeon. If I haven’t mentioned it, his first book Fragile Lives was also a really good read. I also saw a new release which is memoirs from a transplant surgeon which I might pick up for my holidays in a few weeks as well as the new Samuel Bjork Nordic Crime thriller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knifes-Edge-Stephen-Westaby/dp/0008285772

• Charlene Marshall

May 20, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Katie,

Is the one about the transplant surgeon you’re referring to called When Breath Becomes Air? If so, I read it a couple of years back and it’s very good. If it isn’t, and you haven’t read that one, I highly suggest it 🙂 Thanks for keeping this conversation going for the avid readers out there!

Regards,
    Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

May 20, 2019 at 11:00 pm

Oh my goodness I read When Breath Becomes Air a few years back and it broke my heart, Paul Kalanithi wrote so elegantly and eloquently. Such a sad loss.

I believe it was this one, How Death Becomes Life that I saw on the bookshelf at Waterstones. I resisted the urge but I might buy it from the airport on my travels in a couple of weeks. https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Death-Becomes-Life-Transplant/dp/1786498863/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=transplant+surgeon&qid=1558413877&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• Charlene Marshall

May 21, 2019 at 7:25 am

Hi Katie,

Yes, I agree, the story of Paul Kalanithi in When Breath Becomes Air was amazing and heartbreaking at the same time. I’m glad I chose to read it, even though I wasn’t sure I’d like it. I feared it would be “too close to home”, although it was a very good read.

I’ll take a peak at the link you shared as I think I’d like to read that book too. I may order it from Amazon! Have you read/seen 5 Feet Apart yet, Katie? I saw the movie, and even though it was about CF, there was so much I could relate to. Apparently the book is way better (per usual) so I’m going to pick that up soon too!

Cheers,
        Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

May 25, 2019 at 2:20 pm

oO no I haven’t yet but I recall you recommending the movie! I might have a look for the book whilst on my holiday in a couple of weeks as it will give me more time to binge it.

• Suzanne R Brennan

May 21, 2019 at 9:33 am

I have read all the available books by Tana French. She is an American-Irish writer of murder mysteries (The Dublin Murder Squad) which are very good. I regularly scan Kindle to see if she has written anything else and recently downloaded her most recent book. She now has seven out:

1) In the Woods

2) The Likeness

3) Faithful Place

4) Broken Harbour

5) The Secret Place

6) The Trespasser

7) The Wych (Witch) Elm

They have all won award and I can’t wait for the next one! Hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

• Charlene Marshall

May 21, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Thanks so much for sharing these Suzanne, they all sound like great reads! I am sure others who check them out will be thankful you provided this information as well. I’ll add at least one to my summer reading list – do you have a favourite out of the ones you shared?

Chat soon,
    Charlene.

• Suzanne R Brennan

May 22, 2019 at 8:53 am

Since they tend to build as you read each one, I would start with the first and then, if you like it, you can go on to the next. I ran across her when looking on Kindle for a particular genre and since I loved the first one, I continued on.

• Charlene Marshall

May 22, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for clarifying Suzanne, that makes sense! I will keep that in mind when I search the first one. Sounds like a great author and a good book. Maybe I’ll bring a few with me on an upcoming trip! 🙂
    Cheers,
    Charlene.

• RJ

May 24, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Katie, love your suggestion of sharing book titles. “When Breath becomes Air” is a favorite along with “Chasing daylight” by Eugene O’Kelly. While dealing with end of life, and poignant, they put things in perspective. If you have not kept up with it, Kalanithi’s wife has remarried — to someone who lost his young wife tragically.

Another author I love is Canadian Louise Penny and her Inspector Gamache series.

On another note, I’d like to know if any of you have met and talked to other IPF patients in person.  I have yet to meet someone who has it and feel very alone in this journey.

• Katie Bagshawe

May 25, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Oh wow thanks for letting me know that RJ ( @rjday )  I wasn’t aware that she had since remarried. Such a heartbreaking tale, I’m so glad she found new happiness. Her ending to the book was so moving and brought me to tears. I’ve recently started reading a book by Sue Black who works in forensic anthropology that’s a really interesting (and quite brutal) look at death. I’ve heard her be interviewed before and she’s fascinating. A book called Grief Works by Julia Samuel and A Manual for Heartache by Cathy Rentzenbrink are both good reads for anyone interested in dealing with the grief/bereavement types of subjects. The latter book in particular was of significant help to me in my early months of dealing with the death of my beloved Dad.

As for your second comment, have you seen if there are any support groups local to you? These were of extreme benefit to me to make you feel less lonely and also being able to talk about things associated with PF that not many people know about.

• Tony Buxton

May 26, 2019 at 5:30 am

I have just seen the movie “When breath becomes air. “I found it very interesting and somewhat astounding that the diver lives so long with virtually no air. I, unfortunately, lost three of my divers over 15 year period. So I could relate very well to the story. Some  similar ones are in my book “Freediving to fame and fortune”. Available virtually free as a download on Amazon books.

• Charlene Marshall

May 26, 2019 at 6:33 am

Thanks so much for sharing this Tony! I didn’t know that it was a movie, I’ll look into this as well 🙂

Regards,
        Charlene.

• Charlene Marshall

May 26, 2019 at 6:32 am

Hi Rj ( @rjday ),

I definitely agree with you about feeling lonely as a result of this disease. I often feel that way too, but am so thankful for the PF forums and the members on this site. Whereabouts do you live near (state/major city)? I can try to do some digging into where support groups might be near you. The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation is a good place to start in terms of support, and then the Lung Transplant Foundation has a mentorship program too, although I don’t know the details about that and whether or not you need to be pre/post transplant to participate. Something worth looking into maybe? Feel free to connect any time.

Kind regards,
      Charlene.

• Katie Bagshawe

August 25, 2019 at 10:44 am

Hello everyone! Apologies for my absence over the last few months, I don’t know where the time goes!

Popping in on this thread to see if anyone has any new recommendations for reading. I recently finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo, the same author I’ve pretty much committed to all year round.

I have however also loved Unnatural Causes by Dr Richard Shepherd and I thought I’d mention This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay which has just celebrated a whole year at the top of the book charts in the UK, it’s a really funny but poignant read of life as a Junior Doctor in the UK. He’s soon releasing a new book for Christmas time and we’re seeing him live around the release which I’m really looking forward to. I’ll post the books below on Amazon if anyone is interested, and I’d love to hear about your holiday reading!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowman-Harry-Hole-Film-tie/dp/178470475X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=jo+nesbo+the+snowman&qid=1566751414&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unnatural-Causes-absolutely-brilliant-recommend/dp/1405923539/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19NW69P980IG4&keywords=dr+richard+shepherd%27s+%27unnatural+causes&qid=1566751426&s=gateway&sprefix=dr+richard%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Going-Hurt-Secret-Diaries/dp/1509858636/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OAN79QY1TN9A&keywords=adam+kay+this+is+going+to+hurt&qid=1566751436&s=gateway&sprefix=adam+kay%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twas-Nightshift-Before-Christmas-million-copy/dp/1529018587/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3OAN79QY1TN9A&keywords=adam+kay+this+is+going+to+hurt&qid=1566751444&s=gateway&sprefix=adam+kay%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-2

• Judy

January 30, 2020 at 6:10 pm

I have been an avid reader since i waa a child. I love different genres depending on mymood. My favorite author is J D Robb. I have been reading her for years. I also enjoy Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Karen Kingsbury among others. Since I have been so fatigued of late I have been reading alot.

• Charlene Marshall

February 2, 2020 at 8:17 am

@craftyone

Hi Judy! First of all, I love your username: “craftyone”….this is me too! It is snowing like crazy here today so it is a perfect day to cozy up in my craft room and get some projects done. Like you, I also love to read! Lee Child is a great author, and I enjoy Karen Kingsbury’s books too! Have you read any by Jodi Picoult or Kristan Higgins? Both of these authors are fast climbing to the top of my “favourites” list. I am actually helping Kristan Higgins write a book on a young adult with IPF — sharing my story to help her with some of the details. I can’t wait to read it when it comes out 🙂
    Charlene.

• Rob

May 26, 2020 at 1:06 pm

My wife and I opened a small bookstore in late 2015. Four months later I was diagnosed with IPF so at the end of 2016 we shut down the store to focus on bucket list trips and my health. After our Tuscany and my golf trip she went to visit Jane Austen’s(her fave author) home in Chawton, UK and that trip became the basis of her first published novel. The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner is released today in North America and May 28 in the UK and abroad. The book has been featured in the New York Times, CNN, Today and People Magazine called it “sweet, smart escapism”.  Thankfully I’ve been fairly stable on Esbriet and I hope you all stay well in these difficult times.

Rob

• Rob

May 26, 2020 at 1:24 pm

P.S.

A portions of sales from the book are being donated to the Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health in Hamilton.

• Charlene Marshall

May 27, 2020 at 8:17 pm

@obleek

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for sharing this resource! I know the Firestone Institute in Hamilton well, as a friend of mine was diagnosed and treated there. I’ll have to look up that book, thanks again for writing. So sorry to hear of your having to close down the bookstore in 2016, I know how this dreaded disease can take so much of what we love away from us. Thinking of you and thanks for writing.
    Charlene.

• Bob

May 28, 2020 at 9:41 am

…and don’t forget Adam Kay’s second book:
    “T’was the night before Christmas”

Bob

• Jerry Genesio

May 30, 2020 at 10:01 am

Those who like thrillers might enjoy reading “Lamb’s Blood”. I wrote it seven years ago and the paperback, at $10.95, has done very well on Amazon.com. If you search for my name on Amazon.com, you’ll pull up other books I’ve written as well. “Lamb’s Blood” got a great review in the Maine Sunday Telegram:

Maine Sunday Telegram (July 21, 2013) publishes rave review of Lamb’s Blood. Reviewer Nancy Grape writes “For his second novel, Maine writer Jerry Genesio takes readers back to the 1970s to explore the interwoven violence of international power politics and the U.S. commercial blood trade. It’s a fascinating topic and, in Genesio’s hands, it unfolds in a frightening world”. Lamb’s Blood exudes a strong sense of authenticity Genesio draws on hard-won personal experience as he takes readers into a hidden world they’re not likely to have traveled before. . . Genesio knows Nicaragua from personal experience and he draws on that experience to lend his book the authenticity that distinguishes it. . . Pick up Lamb’s Blood. Give it a read. You’ll know a good bit more about exploitation and abuse as well as the shrouded international worlds of commerce, domination and power when you put it down.”

Page 1 of 2