• Post-nasal Drip: Another Ailment to Deal With

Posted by mark-koziol on October 22, 2019 at 7:00 pm

Post-nasal drip is a common symptom of many PF patients. I have had a post-nasal drip for as long as I can remember. There are many causes for this to happen and others whom are considered healthy can experience this nagging problem affecting one’s daily life, as well. I currently take Claritan and I still experience symptoms of post-nasal drip although not as severe as if I weren’t taking this allergy medication. I am also prescribed Singulair to combat my post nasal drip. Several years ago I conducted my own experiment. I don’t recommend this, but I stopped taking Claritan and Singulair to see how much these medicines relieved me of post-nasal drip symptoms. I would compare my new situation to a constantly running faucet. Needless to say after only a few days I went back on the medicines, and determined they were effective for me.

I recently came across an article titled, “Treatments for post-nasal drip”. The article was written by Robert H. Shmerling, MD from Harvard Medical School. The article is informative about providing relief from symptoms and also treatment possibilities.

I am curious to know how many of our members experience post-nasal drip and if so have you been treated for this ailment?

christie replied 2 years, 5 months ago 13 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Scott

October 25, 2019 at 11:35 am

@mark-koziol,

I was diagnosed with IPF two years ago but have had shortness of breath for probably five years.  I have also had PND, it seems, forever.  The primary symptom is at night trying to sleep.  I go to bed with clear sinuses.  After several hours of sleep, I awake and after several minutes, my sinus membranes expand making it difficult to breath through my nose.  There is little mucus.  It makes getting O2 via a nose cannula difficult.  I have tried various allergy meds in the past and nothing has really helped.  Some years ago I starting using Afrin.  Unknowingly I developed rebound congestion and was using it all the time.  BIG PROBLEM.  Finally was redirected to Flonase and Alegra D.  Fixed it quickly.

As it turns out, to stop this problem of nighttime stuffiness, I was told to use Flonase every night, religiously.  I have been doing this for six months and have had very little problem with PND.

Footnote.  I just read that sleeping on your abdomen can be an additional cause.  Unfortunately, this is the only way I can sleep comfortably.  So, Flonase seems to be my solution.

• mark-koziol

October 28, 2019 at 8:26 am

Hello Scott, sorry for the late reply. I’m glad the Flonase helps. Sometimes when the pollen is bad I also use Flonase to stop the water faucet I call my nose. I was always told to sleep on my left side to alleviate the drip. I do shift back and forth from side to side but I never sleep on my stomach or back. With this disease it seems like there is one thing after another. Take care, mark.

• mark-koziol

October 28, 2019 at 8:26 am

Hello Scott, sorry for the late reply. I’m glad the Flonase helps. Sometimes when the pollen is bad I also use Flonase to stop the water faucet I call my nose. I was always told to sleep on my left side to alleviate the drip. I do shift back and forth from side to side but I never sleep on my stomach or back. With this disease it seems like there is one thing after another. Take care, mark.

• allan-byron

October 28, 2021 at 10:56 pm

I also have regular post Masai drip in the morning and I use Flonase, and

mose clips which help.

I may also try Claritin it it gets worse.

Allan Byron

• rod-fulmer

October 29, 2019 at 3:42 pm

I have a lot of drainage that has made dealing with IPF and oxygen therapy vey difficult. About a year ago, after trying all OTC meds known to man,  my pulmonologist prescribed Ipratropium Bromide nasal spray. 2 sprays each nostril 3 times a day. I understand it has an antihistamine. By the 2nd dose of day, I am normally dry for remainder of day. BUT, I go through 6-8 Kleenex the next morning, along with spraying saline water until clog breaks up and I can get clear for my 1st dose of Ipratropium. I am on 12 lpm so I have a lot of clogging. Not able to use water bottle inline due to it reducing oxygen flow. Good luck to all of you.

• mark-koziol

October 29, 2019 at 4:40 pm

Hello Rod, thank you for sharing. The post-nasal drip symptom is much like a nagging cough that will never go away. I have the same problem with the kleenex; the boxes are strategically placed throughout the house and my wife buys the cylindrical kleenex containers to place in the cup holders of our vehicles. Take care, Mark.

• john-fraze

October 21, 2021 at 9:00 pm

I have found that the ipratropium helps a lot.

• pfcaregiver

October 13, 2021 at 5:03 pm

My mom has PF and constant clear runny nose. I’m trying to understand WHY? What is the cause. She is concerned the dripping goes into her lungs.

• jerry-genesio

October 14, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I was diagnosed with IPF 2 years ago but have had shortness of breath for at least 5 or more years. I’ve also had PND for years which I believe to be primarily an allergy to a silver willow tree outside my front door. I first noticed the allergy very shortly after buying and moving into a single-family home in a retirement community. I had all the carpets replaced with hardwood but that didn’t help. However, last year while working on the front steps under the silver willow when it was in bloom I had a major attack of sneezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and PDN. It was then that I realized the silver willow is the culprit. It’s such a beautiful tree I can’t bring myself to cut it down, but I avoid going anywhere near it in the spring. The PDN is constant and I have been prescribed Ipratrppium Bromide 0.06% nasal spray BID which is very effective. I do believe, however, it can aggravate the difficulty in swallowing which is a symptom of IPF.

• les-viegas

October 15, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I don’t know if this would work in each of your specific cases, but a daily dose of 12.5mg – 25mg tablet of Benadryl (OTC) has eliminated my post nasal drip for a 12-15 hour period and provided a restful 8 hr sleep every night for the past 8 years post-transplant. It was recommended to me by Cleveland Clinic and is non-addictive. You may want to try it out – you have nothing to lose.
    Les

• john-fraze

October 26, 2021 at 2:49 pm

My cardiologist has forbidden me to take Benadryl. I have a fib

• john-oman

October 19, 2021 at 2:51 pm

I too have an intermittently running faucet for a nose and a chronic problem with bronchial phlegm/mucus that has me frequently coughing and clearing my throat. “I” believe this is due to damage done by a decades long bacterial infection that “I” believe was also an underlying cause off my IPF. If and when it becomes available, I’m hopeful that N115 / sodium pyruvate nasal spray will be helpful.

• brendacolvin

October 19, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Brenda Colvin. I too have a problem with post nasal drip. Diagnosed two years ago but on no medication as of yet.I go through tissues like crazy. Have tried Claritin and Allegra. They don’t work very well. Will try Flonase. Have a morning cough sometimes with lots of phlegm. So appreciate reading everyone’s comments. We know we are not in this alone.

• john-fraze

October 21, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Remember the formula for water is H2O.

• john-kane

October 29, 2021 at 8:35 am

Two years ago, when we were trying to figure out what Washington with me, I took myself to an Allergist. All the testing came out negative but she prescribed Azelastine for my sinus/ runny nose issue. This works very well for me, better than the Flonase I was using. IMHO anyway…

• mike-fryman

November 2, 2021 at 2:34 pm

I was dx about 1 1/2 yr ago  on O2 24/7 and take ofev and cellcept.  Claritan does help but i still have runny nose at times.  I do use Ayr ointment in nostrils at night which i think helps me get some sleep.  And my lord sleeping is an issue.  I have IPF i guess sound sleep is one of the losses.  Does any one who is on my meds think they have a psychic effect, i know i have increased short term memory, i am 70 but i also think they have a significant mental effect.  Just wondering.  This is my first post, feels good.  I am trying to get the VA to service connect my IPF from my middle east military time.  Does anyone have any experience with that.  Not sure how that will go but fill free to give me some feedback.  DAV rep stated that i smoked for about 9 years as teenager and before being drafted and that may exclude me.  Anyway i hope not.  Havn’t smoked in almost 50 years.  Thanks for reading,     Mike

• christie

November 2, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Hi Mike @mikefrymn, I don’t personally have experience with the VA connecting service to IPF but I know there is at least one member who has confirmed agent orange exposure linked to IPF so I know it’s possible to get them to do it. If I can remember who that was, I will try to connect you. I can’t imagine that smoking would disqualify you from coverage. So many service members do it unfortunately I would be absurd for the VA to use that as a reason. Especially since you haven’t smoked in 50 years.